+20Gb loose files

KimberJ

Between the legendary edition an HD DLC steam download an the vanilla texture optimizer .BSA's, plus the mods .BSA's Between them all, an I think it was because I was playing while downloading an installing stuff, you know, just to have fun an test. Anyway the .BSA created an modified dates got all messed up. I didn't look at all of them, but the dates for the .BSA an some of the assets in them was messed up. i.e. vanilla content had later dates than some of the loose files. Then the whole mess of having tons of .BSA from mods, I just figured it would be a mess.

So I unpacked all the .BSA except for the base game .BSA which was the vanilla texture optimizer versions. The Skyrim install is around 40Gb LOL :D, an the texture folder in particular is just a bit larger than 20Gb. I've tried to pack it back a couple of times an this last time around 25% it started failing to copy some textures an prompting to retry (which sucks) I know we had problems that rumored to have been caused from massive amounts of loose files in the past games. I was just kind of wondering about information on the subject.

Unpacking the files will decrease your game and system performance. And of course whichever version of a particular file you unpacked last will overwrite previous files, but that should be the only problems you encounter. It's still a bad idea to unpack the BSAs, but if your system can handle the performance hit, then it should be fine.