Question about ad support

Faelrin

Well aside from outright disabling my adblocker (which I won't do), but is there a way I can have certain ads display (or white listed if that's the term?) just for this site? I use an adblocker because I hate video ads, those scroll over take over your screen ads, any animated ads (flashing hurts my eyes, along with giving me headaches, this includes animated images), and those skimpy women game ads. Basically I'd have no problem with text ads in other words, and non animated image ads. Is there a way I could specifically just have those enabled so I could provide some support to this website, or would that be impossible? I use AdBlock on the opera browser.

I turned off my adblock few days ago and i'm getting 2-3 virus alarms a day by the ads on the nexus. So,.... adblock goes back on and STAYS ON !

I totally agree with the nexus on the payment via ads,..... but..... they've got to be virus-free and since that's impossible with third-/ fourth party companies placing ads i'm really sorry.... The second i can buy a membership i'll be there !

I believe that most ad-blockers, like Adblock Plus, have a setting that allows "non-intrusive" ads slip by. Essentially what you're referring to. Perhaps the Nexus "video" ads don't qualify as non-intrusive according to the ad-blocker you use? I suppose you could add the Nexus to a "White-List" which allows their ads to appear, however, that would also mean that many of the adverts you detest may show up as they seem to be (from my experience) be the type of ads that show up here on the Nexus (at least the video ones).

Don't use AdBlock, never will as it tracks what you block and don't block and sells that info back to advertisers - so you are being tracked on the net whether you like it or not for ads.

My solution works great for me as the ads one sees in many web sites are based on ones internet use. When ads start being obnoxious I just go to a car dealer web site and customize a car (I like Jeep and GM trucks as they seem to work best) or I go to a Tourism Site and look at booking a camping site or look at information on a national or local park. I do this and for the next 30 days or so all I see are quiet ads for cars or some tourist destination. The ads also do not tend to have music or sound and also you have to physically click on them for anything to happen.

I figure I'm going to get tracked anyway, may as well see the ads and benefit the Nexus, but they will be ads I prefer to see. I don't know if this will work for everyone (I have no idea how advertisers work in the entire planet), but it works for me and some others I know.

I don't think that's entirely true, because in the past before I used an adblocker I would get ads for things I've never browsed or cared to browse in the past (like febreeze ads for example). And I've see plenty of obnoxious ads that play on their own which was the whole reason I started using an adblocker (also those annoying take up your screen after you scrolled your mouse over top of it).

So anyways I have the google text ads selected (that seems to be the only option with adblock), but I haven't seen a single one of those yet. Is that because the ads are all from third party's and if none of them have any of those ads, I won't be seeing them then?

One reason I got AdBlocker in the first place, was ads on Nexus. I normally have more than one tab open on the Nexus, currently 55 tabs open for Skyrim Nexus alone. With ads enabled, each tab plays an ad, sometimes multiple ads, meaning I get a cacaphony of noise and echoes. This interrupts any videos I might wish to watch regarding a mod, and is generally annoying. If there were a way for only one ad to play at a time, regardless of how many Nexus tabs I had open, and a way to temporarily mute ads so I could watch videos about the mods without interruption, I'd be all for re-enabling ads. Sadly, I don't think web browsers and sites allow this kind of control.

When I get a job again, I'll probably send some money to get rid of the ads, though, $2 one time seems like very little to support a great site like this.

Here's hoping that some day ads can be handled in a sane manner, not only on this site, but browser-wide (one ad at a time regardless of how many tabs are open, or how many sites those tabs are on, would one day be great).

Thank you (Nexus) for everything you do for us.

PK