Modding Dying Light tips...

Vortaka

Wow! I'm first! Isn't that new? :)

Ok, well, I just finished playing Dying Light a little and decided, for all you good folks at the nexus, to give (since there is none) some tips about modding DL...

First, and foremost, Dying Light is on the same engine (or modded one) then Dead Island, and, the modding (or call it tweaking) is the same...

Also note that it cannot be mod like Oblivion or Skyrim... No menu, no mod launcher, just like the old days!

The PAK files, in Dying Light/DW folder is where everything is... I won't go into details about what each DataX.pak is, but they contain almost all the info/stats about the game, you just need to know where to look! (Not that easy).

To open (let's use Data0.pak), you'll need a "multi" archive editor... 7zip is my choice. Free, efficient and easy to use! (I think winrar could work but sure).

In Data0.pak (just uncompress it all in a temporary folder, NOT in DL folder) you can change skills, scripts, settings, etc... Little file full of stuff!

After you edit a file, you need to save it in your Documents/DyingLight folder... Now, I do not know if my Win7 is a mess or what but I've read someone using it directly in Documents/DyingLight folder... However, my settings and logs folder (created by DL) are Documents/DyingLight\Out folder (so I created the sub folders that I needed there...)

ex.: My scripts are in

Documents/DyingLight/out/data/scripts

ex.: My skills folder

Documents/DyingLight/out/data/skills

And, with that, some knowledge of what you want to change AND a bit a luck (good luck!), you can change a lot of thing! Like inventory.scr for the range/damage/etc of a lot of weapons (there are other inventory files but the main ones are inventory.scr and inventory_gen.scr). Just look in the pak file!

Like, with default_levels.xml (in data/skills folder in Data0.pak) you can change your the StaminaRegeneration or MaxStamina... Like I said, full of stuff!

Have fun!

Vortaka

P.S. I'm sure I don't have to tell you, but I'll do it anyway... Any change made to those files will probably freak steam out and will ask that you redownload the orignal (and so, no mod!). These are for single players only, of course... (I dunno if they can work in a LAN however...).

I'm personally waiting for shop mods and more inventory space, and possibly some other rebalancing of the skills..

Oh and much more loot randomization, if it works like DI i know there's a shitty loot table mechanic, but really all i see is the same s#*! all the time, very few variations.

Edited by naab007

Changed the health value to 5000 in default_levels.xml, that worked.

Tried the same with Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun ammo. I changed the values in cheat engine to 99999 (to see if the changes I made to the default_levels.xml file would stick). Sadly, as soon as you enter and exit a safe zone, die or enter a different area it will reset the ammo in the inventory back to the default max (60, 120 and 60).

Anyone know of a way around this at all?

Haven't found a value for degradation rate on weapons yet

EDIT: Go into common_skill.xml and search for "Durability" then change the 0.25 value to 1.0, this will make weapons unbreakable.

Still working on weapons, tried changing the maximum stack value to 99999 in inventory.scr but this still didn't work. Interestingly, the inventory value for ammo within memory changes everytime you enter an area/die etc (the memory address also changes). Which is just frustrating

Edited by Aurora555

I'm personally waiting for shop mods and more inventory space, and possibly some other rebalancing of the skills..

Oh and much more loot randomization, if it works like DI i know there's a shitty loot table mechanic, but really all i see is the same s*** all the time, very few variations.

Well, I tested inventorysize in both common_skills.xml and default_level.xml (upgrade for the backpacks). I just doubled them (8/8) and I now have 16 slots... Nice... I'm gonna test x3! brb!

Edit: Works fine! However, I won't go over x3! So, 12 for starting and 12 for backpack upgrade... nice! Thanks for the idea naab007!

Edited by Vortaka

@alexl76: Well, for the XP loss it has already been done (look around) simple default_levels mod... For the rest, loss of arms and loot, I dunno, sorry!

Now, for a new tip! I, for one, hate that the sonar is so short (I'm not speedy gonzales for crying out loud!) So, I've done some searches and found it!

There are two files to be modified... default_levels.xml and sonarmoduleparams.scr

default_levels.xml: (data/skills)

SonarHighlightDuration from 5 to let's say 25 (so about 30 seconds)

sonarmoduleparams.scr (data/scripts)

ItemImpulseDuration from 7 to 27 (about 30 seconds here too).

The only glitch I can truly note, for the little time I played, is that before you talk to Mark (gauz alcohol guy at the beginning) it will NOT last long... I think that the variables (in the files) aren't activated until you start the quest... But, I mean, you don't have search much up to there, right?

Also, it seems that as soon as you search someone, it is turned off... That, I cannot change... yet! (But I think I can't really!!!).

This is a bit of a cheat but i modified Data/scripts/inventory COLLECTABLES.scr

i modified all of the orange blueprints to give them all 5 effects. Changing anything but poison above 2 lowers it back to 1 in game. The game engine does not recognize anything above 2 except for poison i think. Now i need to find the value that stops you from being hurt by your own elemental effects. Id also like to know where to change the percentage chance of elemental attacks proc because right now it seems to proc at less than 25%.

For example take this God hammer blue print

"Origninal values"

Item("Craftplan_GodHammer", CategoryType_Collectable)
{
Name("&Craftplan_GodHammer_N&");
Description('&Craftplan_GodHammer_D&');
ItemType(ItemType_CraftPlan);
Price(3200);
Mesh("blueprint.msh");
Skin("default");
BaseItem("Melee_BigHammer", "", "");
BaseItem("Melee_Pickaxe", "", "");
BaseItem("Melee_AxeBig", "", "");
BaseItem("Melee_ShortAxe", "", "");
BaseItem("Melee_Hammer", "", "");
RequiredItem("Craft_MetalScrap", 2);
RequiredItem("Craft_String", 2);
RequiredItem("Craft_Insecticide", 2);
RequiredItem("Craft_Batteries", 2);
RequiredItem("Craft_PowerCable", 2);
RequiredItem("Craft_Electronics", 1);
NamePrefix("&ModifiedItemName&");
Elemental(Elemental_ShockElectricity, 2);
Elemental(Elemental_Burning, 2);

"Modified version"

Item("Craftplan_GodHammer", CategoryType_Collectable)
{
Name("&Craftplan_GodHammer_N&");
Description('&Craftplan_GodHammer_D&');
ItemType(ItemType_CraftPlan);
Price(3200);
Mesh("blueprint.msh");
Skin("default");
BaseItem("Melee_BigHammer", "", "");
BaseItem("Melee_Pickaxe", "", "");
BaseItem("Melee_AxeBig", "", "");
BaseItem("Melee_ShortAxe", "", "");
BaseItem("Melee_Hammer", "", "");
RequiredItem("Craft_MetalScrap", 2);
RequiredItem("Craft_String", 2);
RequiredItem("Craft_Insecticide", 2);
RequiredItem("Craft_Batteries", 2);
RequiredItem("Craft_PowerCable", 2);
RequiredItem("Craft_Electronics", 1);
NamePrefix("&ModifiedItemName&");
Elemental(Elemental_Bleeding, 2);
Elemental(Elemental_ImpactElectricity, 2);
Elemental(Elemental_Poison, 3);
Elemental(Elemental_Burning, 2);
Elemental(Elemental_ShockElectricity, 2);

Edited by fox23vang

Well, I can tell you that the damage done is in crafting_elementals.scr (scripts/crafting). Maybe one of the other lines does it or can help you find it... I hate poison! :p

Good luck!

Changed the health value to 5000 in default_levels.xml, that worked.

Tried the same with Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun ammo. I changed the values in cheat engine to 99999 (to see if the changes I made to the default_levels.xml file would stick). Sadly, as soon as you enter and exit a safe zone, die or enter a different area it will reset the ammo in the inventory back to the default max (60, 120 and 60).

Anyone know of a way around this at all?

Haven't found a value for degradation rate on weapons yet

EDIT: Go into common_skill.xml and search for "Durability" then change the 0.25 value to 1.0, this will make weapons unbreakable.

Still working on weapons, tried changing the maximum stack value to 99999 in inventory.scr but this still didn't work. Interestingly, the inventory value for ammo within memory changes everytime you enter an area/die etc (the memory address also changes). Which is just frustrating

Yo,my friend

I also tried to tweak in the game for fun....actually i completed the game day before yesterday and was getting bored so thought about some blowing some sh** up and becoming invincible

I think i got to know about inventory.scr and edited it and got to know how to stick up the ammo for even getting at different areas or even dying in the game

so

search for """Item("Bullet_Pistol", CategoryType_Ammo)"""

and find maxammocount and then change its digits to 999 or any other you want

do like this with shotgun and rifle AND DONE!!! I hope it will help you

Well, I can tell you that the damage done is in crafting_elementals.scr (scripts/crafting). Maybe one of the other lines does it or can help you find it... I hate poison! :tongue:

Good luck!

Nice find sir!! :) :)