Niko Moldova's Project Dump

NikoMoldova

This is sort of a progress report and idea dump, for my benefit. Suggestions are very much welcome since quite a few of my ideas tend to be somewhat interesting of a concept but horribly unbalanced when put to use.

I'm trying to set up some sort of order based on difficulty of the project, so I can finish at least something while building up skills for more difficult projects. As of right now my skills include decent modelling (although I've yet to put any models in the game) and interiors, while I have quite some trouble with exteriors, and textures look like they could be problematic.

A few of these have probably been done. And better. I'll still make my own, though, I need the practice.

Immersive Perks

STALKER is one of my favorite game series, but probably doesn't translate that well to Fallout, let alone TES. That said I really liked their sort-of-perk system, where doing things in-game gives you interesting talents based on those actions (already in New Vegas to a small degree), and I think it would work in Skyrim. As an example, the Marked by the Zone perk. Most of this will be dedicated to armor, specifically Dwemer.

This could help the slight plotholes caused by things like magically knowing how to smith replica Dwemer armor despite the Ruins of Kemel-Ze taking pains to describe how homemade armor is usually just Dwemer bits cobbled together. Still expensive and effective but worse than an actual suit of Dwemer armor. So how come Dragonborn, who could hypothetically get that perk without stumbling across ANY Dwarven armor for even visual reference, can make perfect copies because he's really good at making iron and steel armors? Desired result:

-Dwarven Smithing perk does not unlock the ability to make Dwarven Armor, but instead Crude Dwarven Armor and Dwarven Metal Armor.

-Crude Dwarven Armor would basically be some kind of clothing or tunic with Dwarven scrap fastened on. On par with iron but a light armor because of the lack of actual armor.

-Dwarven Metal Armor would be a more traditional armor type but made out of Dwarven metal. Same weight as Dwarven Armor (Ruins of Kemel-Ze mention that Dwarven Armor is super-light because of how everything works together, so less metal but less Dwemer craftsmanship would even it out) but have armor rating between Steel and Dwarven.

-Dwarven weapons will be left alone for the most part. They seem like they're normal weapon styles already. Possible exceptions; Warhammer and Bow. Those seem a bit more complex.

-Vanilla Dwarven Armor can still be crafted, but you need to study an actual set beforehand. Which is to say, find a set in some ruins and take it to an armorer or a forge to pull it apart for science. Option only available after getting Dwarven Smithing perk.

I've already started this and I have placeholder items set up. I also edited the Dwarven Smithing perk so it looks for the keyword for the crude armors instead of the vanilla type. Still needs models and the like for the placeholders, and a "study armor" option for breaking Dwemer stuff. Models shouldn't be too difficult; Crude Dwarven seems like it's just be default clothes with some belts and Dwarven plates, while Dwarven Metal seems like it'd be a small variant of other heavy armors with a texture shift.

Might make this effect other perks too, although I need to look them over a bit before deciding. I'm thinking a "study armor" option would be good to learn how to imitate advanced armors before getting their perk (but not improve them) or gain some smithing if the items are too advanced to learn from right now.

Credits: STALKER, Rao Dao Zao, Mount and Blade (but this type Crude and other adjectives would actually look different instead of just stat changes).

Better Thane Weapons

I was irritated at the thane weapons basically being the sorts of enchanted weapons you could make yourself. I also didn't lack the fact that the item would change at random; gives no chance to put in some meaningful connection to the hold. I have a text file somewhere with a more finished concept, and will post that when I find it, but a sort of run-down will suffice for now Posted!:

Markarth
Name: Wrath of Stone

General:
Dwemer in style, for certain. Warhammer probably; the Dwemer have heavy armor. Silver inlays from the Silver-Bloods perhaps.

Gameplay:
Should be decent in combat, but not particularly epic; it’s ceremonial but beating people with a large metal object still works. On par with Steel, I guess. Steel warhammers are still pretty hard-hitting in the grand scheme of things.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Solitude

Imperial/Neutral Version
Name: Hjaalmarch Defender

General:
Sword. Perhaps Imperial in style, although visibly Nordic influence. Maybe Imperial Sword shape with Nordic carvings on it? Elven materials but not covered in the stuff. Used by Tullius if you take over for Stormcloaks, unless you already have it, in which case he wields the Conqueror's Blade from Windhelm.

Gameplay:
Decent. But not TOO decent.

Stormcloak Version

Name: Hjaalmarch Offensive

General: Greataxe. As someone probably even more powerful than Ulfric himself, the Empire most certainly wants you dead. Maybe this will slow their attempt. Same with Windhelm stuff, this is only if you take over for Ulfric. If you don't get it one of Ulfric's higher-ups in the final battle will be carrying it.

Gameplay: Just a good, handy axe for cleaving skulls and some light carpentry.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Morthal
Name: Hjaalmarch Vanquisher’s Blade

General:
Silver-ish axe or sword. I'd think shortsword. Goes with the whole mystic swampland thing going on in Morthal. Runes? A bit dark in the blade, maybe ebony, but not dull. Straight-edged. Looks like something a grim German knight would use, but with the aforementioned mystic swampland feel. Witcher-y would be fun.

Gameplay:
Should be good against monsters, Geralt-style. Magical threats included. Maybe some sort of Mana Drain thing. Inherent anti-vampire because of the silver.

Falkreath
Name: Falkreath Ceremonial Bow

General:
Wilderness hold needs a bow, I'd say. Wooden base, but made for style over substance. Like some sort of golden deer head based on the crest, would be stupid to put on an actual bow but good for looking fancy shmancy. Seems like the kind of thing Siddgeir would do.

Gameplay:
Ceremonial. Bit of extra animal damage maybe?

Whiterun
Name: Wayward Blade

General:
A sword, as the sort of melting pot hold it should have the baseline standard of weaponry. So, steel but not overly nordic in design. Not too fancy.

Gameplay: Normal sword, combat-worthy but not too higher than Dwemer.

Windhelm

Stormcloak Version
Name: Eastmarch Stormaxe

General:
Nordly nordic nordy Nords. A war axe, like Ulfric tends to use. Nord carvings. Shape maybe based on Ancient Nord stuff but visibly new. Achieved either through becoming Thane of Eastmarch or taking over for the Empire. If taking over for Empire, will be wielded by Ulfric, free to loot.

Gameplay:
No enchantments, although should actually be effective against people and animals. Maybe some bonus damage vs. elves.

Imperial Version

Name: Conqueror's Blade

General:

Ceremonial, but carried by an officer of the Empire so still useful. Imperial sword but with some fancy detailing all over. If you take over for the Empire you get this as thane weapon.

Gameplay: A decent sword.

Winterhold
Name: Winter's Wrath

General:
Since Jarl Korir's "hall" is more of a "hut" the weapon should be a gift (grudgingly accepted) from the College. So, highly enchanted (and visibly so) sword, or maybe a staff if the Arch-Mage is shite at guessing what Korir's favored weapons are. Sword should have glowy runes, staff should look unique or special in some way, mainly silver or steel but with some blue energy tendril things going up and down. Should have both the crest of Winterhold and the College magical eye icon thing.

Gameplay:
Definitely enchanted, combat-worthy. Ice stuff for the sword, probably. Sword looks like it has ice frozen over the blade, with runes glowing on it. Not sure about staff, maybe it looks like an unmelting icicle or something.

Riften
Name: Crossed Blades

General:
A pair of shortswords? I mean, daggers but a bit longer and more... aristocratic. Replicas, salvaged from the ashes when Jarl Crossed-Daggers met his heated end. Suits the city's crest and the City of Thieves itself. Gold handle and wide-ish crossbar. Only thane "weapon" where you actually get two of them.

Gameplay:
City of Thieves, so maybe more sneak damage if that’s possible.

Dawnstar
Name: Pale Frostblade

General:
Honestly I don't spend much time there besides the Vaermina quest. Probably a greatsword of some description. I know the Jarl is one of those ultra-Stromcloaks, so probably more steely looks over gold. Of course, it’s also a port/mine city, so it should be a mix of Nordic steel and foreign metals.

Gameplay:
It’s snowy in Dawnstar, maybe some leftover ice damage. Normal sword rather than purely ceremonial.

Battleworld (Working Title)

I tend to take inspiration (e.g. lift ideas from) other sources when I think the idea might work in another game. This one is entirely based on Lordran and Drangleic (hypothetically, I haven't played DS2 yet) from Dark Souls.

-Alternate world with very few non-hostile NPCs. Varied environments. I'm thinking of this maybe being Quagmire or something Vaermina-related, and entering/exiting the world would work by sleeping in some obscure bed. Could probably connect this with the Cabin in the Woods book, wake up and the first enemy is ghost-Urist McAxeMurderer.

-Also lifted from Dark Souls; somewhat unexplained boss fights. As in, walk into room, spot giant thing, swear a bit, kill the giant thing, find out what its deal is. Or not. None of that "friendly NPC expositions at you the villains backstory for half an hour".

-Instead of Bonfires, have Safehouses. You can still die and have to reload but Safehouses would be seemingly unconnected rooms existing in their own little worlds; open a door from an undead castle and into the bedroom of a lodge, or out of a mine and into the top floor of a prison tower. Safehouses let you heal, sleep, etc. before running back out to murder some more abominations. Alternative; all Safehouses are the same, maybe a guest room in the original cabin (if you don't mind sleeping in the bed of a headless ghost). It'd let you stockpile equipment, meaning I could have more varied enemy types and resistances in the same space without getting too "But this is my ICE monster-slaying sword! My FIRE monster-slaying sword is back two cells!"

-Somewhat breaking from Dark Souls would be scenery transitions; if this is Quagmire, it keeps deciding it wants to be more and more different. Hence the Safehouse thing. So you could very well reach the top of a tower in a lake of lava only to emerge in an ice cavern.

Will probably take the most work out of all of these. Needs polishing, I think. I really want to make it though. It should be possible with vanilla assets, so that's a plus.

Credits: Dark Souls, Lagrie's boss mods.

Thieves Sewers

Would've called it underworld, but I think that should be used for some sort of massive Blackreach-style cavern dimension, not something small as this. Meant for thieves, hitmen, and all sorts of other undesirable scum. Anyone wanted by the guard, really.

-Add sewer systems where they make sense (Whiterun, Markarth, Solitude) that connect to the outside of the city. Alternate entrance for those who want to avoid the front gate and its guards for... reasons.

-Each sewer to have some sort of safehouse for Thieves Guild members and Dark Brotherhood assassins. Like the Fallout: New Vegas safehouses, where association doesn't make them magically give you the key.

-Will probably unlock Thieves Guild safehouses upon completing the special mission for that city.

-DB safehouses could unlock upon Listener status (talking with granny maggot-lips) since not doing so at that point would be a bit like telling Jesus he can't get into the Sistine Chapel without a visitor's pass.

-Safehouses are different from the Thieves Guild HQ or the DB Sanctuaries; as in F:NV they would basically be a bed or two with some armor. Otherwise the Dark Brotherhood could've relocated absolutely anywhere with a sewer.

Theoretically the simplest of the lot to make, but I'm having some issues with connecting them to the outside world and getting the water to do what I want.

Credits: Imperial City Sewers from Oblivion; drop in through some backyard garden, come out of some politician's basement-toilet. Always fun (especially for thieves).

Modular Armors

To add greater variety of armor to the game. Something I think is missing from the base game is the ability to craft more armor classifications per material, meaning you miss half the aesthetic types in the game if you specialize. Plus Heavy armor fairly routinely looks cooler than Light armor, which irritates me to no end, as I often specialize in stealth or thievery.

-Light and Heavy armors for each material (where it makes sense). Steel Chainmail or Moonstone Slab.

-Finally be free to wear armor of the same tier as your weapon. Having a full set of Ebony weapons and armor but having to default to Glass Armor with Ebony weapons because of Light Armor specialization was bugging the hell out of me.

Shouldn't be much more difficult than the Dwemer Armor above. I could probably merge them easily, although Immersive Perks should be a separate mod if that is the case (assuming I add more perks to that, otherwise it'd do nothing).

Credits: None, really. Just seemed a good idea.

I have a few more, but these are the main ones. I'll post the rest (and some more details, particularly the Thane weapon ideas) once I gather all my notes.

Edited by NikoMoldova