Grimoire 2.0: Apocalypse-type spell package

steelfeathers

NOW AVAILABLE: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/60796/?

For a few months now I've been working on an overhaul of my first major mod, Grimoire. It was pretty good for the skills I had at the time, but I've gotten much better with the CK since then, so now I'm remaking it from the ground up.

This thread is intended to allow you guys to keep up with my progress, and give me a place to show off where people will (hopefully) see and provide feedback...and encouragement. Needy modders like me wither without encouragement.

What is Grimoire 2.0, and why should I care?

Grimoire is a spell package mod that adds new and exciting spells to Skyrim, ala Apocalypse.

It doesn't edit perks, it doesn't add strange quests or awkward NPCs, it just adds a whole lot of awesome new spells to the game. Even better, it adds a lot of new never-seen-before spells, spells that I think will make you feel like a total badass mage. If spell mods don't interest you, you can stop reading.

Features:

• 120+ all-new spells with custom visuals, distributed across each magic school
  • Spell tomes are automatically added to leveled lists - no need to create a bashed patch
  • Fair and balanced - no God Mode spells
  • New stealth-oriented Destruction spells - play as an assassin-mage!
  • Destruction and Conjuration are not needed to beat the game; you can bring the pain with any magic school
  • New master-level spells that let you feel like a TRUE master (120% more badass than vanilla)
  • Compatible with other spell package mods, like Apocalypse
  • Enhances role-playing, with spells that cater to all types of characters - priests, shamans, shapeshifters, daedra-summoners, any many more!

Current Progress:

• Alteration - 100%
  • Conjuration - 100%
  • Destruction - 40%
  • Illusion - 90%
  • Restoration - 80%
  • Scrolls-only spells, extras - 30%

CURRENT LIST OF SPELLS:

(Highly WIP)

Click on the spoiler!

ALTERATION
~~ Novice ~~

• Open Lock Unlock a locked door or container. Stronger locks require a higher Alteration level to open.
  • Corrosion Reduces armor rating by 15 every 4 seconds. Stacks up to 10 times. Armor rating is regained when the effect ends.
  • Shapeshift Claws The caster grows long, sharp claws, increasing unarmed damage by 15.

~~ Apprentice ~~

• Force Wave Send a wave of force hurtling outwards, dealing 35 damage and staggering the target.
  • Unstable Transformation Transforms the target into a random harmless* creature for 30 seconds or until they take damage.
  • Featherlight Become as light as a feather, reducing fall damage by 90% and allowing you to walk on water.
  • Runic Weapon Imbues the weapon in your hand with mystic power, dealing additional damage that grows with the Alteration skill.

~~ Adept ~~

• Shrink Shrinks the target, decreasing damage dealt and increasing damage taken by 30%.
  • Stone Golem Creates a stone golem. The stone golem takes no damage from arrows, but is weak to ice.
  • Forest Curse The target is turned into a tree for 15 seconds. When the curse fades, the target takes damage.
  • Shapeshift Wings The caster grows flightless wings, increasing movement and weapon speed by 30% and reducing fall damage by 50%.
  • Diamond Plating Transforms the caster's armor into solid diamond, increasing the rating of each armor piece by (0.5*alteration skill).

~~ Expert ~~

• Grow Enlarges the target, increasing damage dealt and decreasing damage taken by 30%
  • Time Lock Immobilizes everyone near the caster for 30 seconds. Time-locked targets cannot be harmed.
  • Teleport Teleport a short distance away.

~~ Master ~~

• Earthquake Causes an earthquake at the caster's location, flinging away everyone nearby and doing x damage.
  • Stop Time Stops time for 30 seconds.
  • Medusa's Stare Targets with less than 75% health are turned permanently to stone.
  • Transformation Shapeshift into a powerful creature for 120 seconds. (Venomous Hunter, Forest Guardian, Nordic Totem, or Fleet Messanger)

CONJURATION

~~ Novice ~~

• Desperate Summon Conjure a random daedra. The summoned daedra is wild and will attack anyone nearby.
  • Conjure Skeever Familiars Summons 3 weak skeever familiars.

~~ Apprentice ~~

• Conjure Lingering Shade Conjures a ghostly hunter from ages past and his faithful wolfhound companion.
  • Conjure Spectral Shield Creates a magic shield for 120 seconds that increases magic resistance by 60% while blocking.
  • Conjure Direwolf Familiar Summons a Direwolf familiar.

~~ Adept ~~

• Command Undead Undead up to level 20 are put under your control.
  • Conjure Sabrecat Familiar Summons a sabrecat familiar.
  • Conjure Spectral Staff Summons a powerful staff from Oblivion for 120 seconds. Sheathe to dispel.
  • Store Corpse Cast on a dead body to store it for future use.
  • Conjure Winged Twilight Summons a Winged Twilight that is resistant to magic and attacks in a whirlwind of dual ebony blades.
  • Conjure Shambles Summons an Undead Shambles that attacks with frost magic and wicked claws.
  • Conjurer Dremora Berserker Summons a Dremora Berserker that wields a mighty axe and grows more powerful as it loses health.

~~ Expert ~~

• Conjure Lurker Summons a Lurker. (Spell tome only available in Apocrypha)
  • Dark Crystal Store part of your soul in a Dark Crystal, gaining immortality at a cost. (Consumes a black soul gem from your inventory)
  • Summon Dread Beast Summons a Dread Beast that absorbs health with its claws. Caster health is reduced by 20% while active.
  • Rampage Boosts the power of a summoned or raised creature, but damages it over time.
  • Conjure Troll Familiar Summons a Troll Familiar.

~~ Master ~~

• Mammoth Familiar Summons a Mammoth Familiar. Can only be cast outside.
  • Spectral Crown Creates a spectral crown that reduces the cost of summoning in battle to 0. Increases your summon limit by 1.
  • Dremora Seducer Summons a frail Dremora Seducer that attacks with hellfire and bewitches male opponents.
  • Awaken Lich Ancient lich that curses the living and enslaves their souls. The lich is all but immune to physical damage, but is weak to magic.

ILLUSION

~~ NOVICE ~~

• Disorient Mentally stun the target, causing them to stagger. The target cannot be disoriented again for 10 seconds.
  • Silver Tongue Boosts speechcraft by 10%. If your Illusion skill is high enough, you can sell stolen goods to merchants and bribe guards to ignore crimes.

~~ APPRENTICE ~~

• Battle Rage The target deals and recieves 2x damage for 30 seconds.
  • Chameleon For 120 seconds, sneaking is improved by 20% when moving very slowly.
  • Phantom Pain For 60 seconds, whenever the target loses stamina its health is damaged by 50% of the stamina lost.
  • Sleight of Hand If both you and the target have a weapon drawn, you switch weapons with the target.

~~ ADEPT ~~

• Bend Will The target becomes an ally of the player for 120 seconds. Works on targets up to level 20.
  • Challenge Challenge the target to a duel, forcing them to attack you for 60 seconds.
  • Manifest Fears Manifests the target's deepest fears for 15 seconds. The illusions may cause the target to flee in terror.
  • Shadow Form Become like a shadow, unable to do harm or be harmed for 15 seconds.

~~ EXPERT ~~

• Lucky Rabbit Silently conjure an illusory rabbit to distract opponents and lead them in a random direction.
  • Waking Nightmare Bombard the target with visions of horror, doing 15 points of damage for 4 seconds and decreasing speed by 50%. Targets up to level 20 flee.
  • Glamour Cast while wearing faction gear to disguise yourself as a member of that faction. The effect will break if anyone comes too close. (Forsworn, Thalmor, Bandits, Falmer; Draugr and Animunculi can be fooled with Master of the Mind)

~~ MASTER ~~

• Enthrall Makes the target a permanent ally of the player. The target can also become a follower.
  • One with the Shadows Become invisibile for 180 seconds. Invisibility is not broken by combat or interacting with the world.
  • Psychic Bond Form a permanent psychic bond with a close ally. The bond will break if your partner dies or leaves your company.
  • Trickster Creates 2 illusory copies of the caster. The copies have the same weapons, spells, and armor as the caster, but are only half as strong.

RESTORATION

~~ Novice ~~

• Poison Seed Inflicts 3 points of poison damage per second for 10 seconds.
  • Ray of Light Undead targets take 9 points of damage per second.

~~ Apprentice ~~

• Cleanse Cures all diseases and stops the effects of poison.
  • Black Swarm The target is attacked by a swarm of flies, which do 7 disease damage for 15 seconds.
  • Divine Aegis For 30 seconds, the next 2 physical attacks against the caster are negated.
  • Infestation Infects the target with a plague. On death, the target spawns poisonous spiders, which attak and infect other hostiles.
  • Lifebloom Health regenerates 20% faster for 30 seconds.

~~ Adept ~~

• Arcane Healing Heals the summoned or machine target for 15 points per second, but not the living or undead.
  • Rite of the Old Gods Lowers the poison and disease resistance of nearby enemies by 50% for 120 seconds.
  • Soul Fire Cloaks the caster in holy flames, doing 10 points of damage per sec to nearby undead; allies are healed 5 points per sec.
  • Plague Bringer Every target struck with your weapon is infected with up to 6 diseases. Disease vectors are consumed to power this spell. (Bear claws, skeever tail, hagraven claw/feathers, ash hopper jelly, sabrecat tooth/eye, wolf/fox pelt)

~~ Expert ~~

• Divine Guardian The friendly target is protected by a divine guardian for 60 seconds.

~~ Master ~~

• Resurrection Brings the target back to life.
  • Phoenix Song Heals nearby allies for 250 points. Heals the caster for 300 points. Drains all magicka and stamina from the caster.
  • Dread Cocoon Cast on a corpse to implant it with a fearful creature that will hatch in 15 sec. Those attacked by the creature might also be infected.

WIP Screenshots:

Dremora Seducer, Dremora Berserker, and an undead Shambles:
http://i.imgur.com/N4yCx8S.png?1

Spectral Shield's warding effect in action:
http://i.imgur.com/LZ590tQl.jpg?1

Conjured Mammoth Familiar (conjuration Master spell):
http://i.imgur.com/sn2AHItl.jpg?1

Crystal Locus, conjuration expert (spell may be removed in the final version of the mod):
http://i.imgur.com/TwAGkFBl.jpg?1

Shapeshift Claws (alteration novice):
http://i.imgur.com/TfgqTMVl.jpg?1

The player using Transform (Alteration Master spell) to become a powerful spell-casting forest guardian (one of several shape-shifting options):
http://i.imgur.com/N7X5Vjsl.jpg?1

A Winged Twilight (lesser daedra, Conjuration Adept) fighting a troll:
http://i.imgur.com/06r41NDl.jpg?1

Soul Fire (Restoration Adept) > Cloak that harms undead and heals allies
http://i.imgur.com/y7N7F4fl.jpg?1

GOALS FOR THIS PROJECT:

• Create spells that nobody has seen before
  • Fill in the gaps not covered by Apocalypse and other big spell mods
  • Keep everything lore-friendly
  • Make Master-level spells that let you feel like a TRUE master of magic
  • Provide for a variety of different play-styles
  • Keep the scripting robust - avoid bugs and bad interactions between mods
Edited by steelfeathers

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not a secret, I'm just nowhere near done with them yet.

The player will have a passive background perk that will multiply spell attack damage for destruction spells if the player is sneaking and undetected. Also, because destruction spells are notoriously difficult to sneak with (being loud and bright with explosions), I'm designing several spells that are silent and stealthy in nature, like:

Electrocute Silently electrocutes the touched target, dealing 60 shock damage. 10% chance to deal 100 additional damage.
Piercing Cold Silently freezes the touched target for 60 frost damage. Resistant targets take triple damage.

Edited by steelfeathers

I loved Grimoire 1.0, and thought it was a sorely underappreciated mod. If your skills now are much better, then this is going to be fantastic.

Can't wait. Just as I was starting a new mage playthrough, too! I'll wait. :D

Even better, it adds new spells that AREN'T already included by Apocalypse and other famous magic mods

Interesting, we need more spell mods that don't overlap--

• Rampage Boosts the power of a summoned or raised creature, but damages it over time. <-- totally different from Apocalypse; the Apocalypse version does INSTANT damage.
  • For 60 seconds, whenever the target loses stamina its health is damaged by 50% of the stamina lost. <-- that's Grindstone
  • Become invisibile for 180 seconds. Invisibility is not broken by combat or interacting with the world. <-- that's Shroudwalk

Also, Runic Weapon and Time Lock were removed from Apocalypse, Teleport is in every spell mod, Lifebloom is a spell in Apocalypse, Infestation is exactly the same as the PerMa spell, and Piercing Cold is a perk in PerMa I believe or at least it does the same thing as a perk in PerMa. :tongue:

Edited by EnaiSiaion

Even better, it adds new spells that AREN'T already included by Apocalypse and other famous magic mods

Interesting, we need more spell mods that don't overlap--

• Rampage Boosts the power of a summoned or raised creature, but damages it over time. <-- totally different from Apocalypse; the Apocalypse version does INSTANT damage.
  • For 60 seconds, whenever the target loses stamina its health is damaged by 50% of the stamina lost. <-- that's Grindstone
  • Become invisibile for 180 seconds. Invisibility is not broken by combat or interacting with the world. <-- that's Shroudwalk

Also, Runic Weapon and Time Lock were removed from Apocalypse, Teleport is in every spell mod, Lifebloom is a spell in Apocalypse, Infestation is exactly the same as the PerMa spell, and Piercing Cold is a perk in PerMa I believe or at least it does the same thing as a perk in PerMa. :tongue:

EDIT: I edited the sentence you quoted, to make it less ambiguous. If you were just pointing out the incorrect language, then ignore the rant below.

You know, I admire your spell mods and your skill as a modder, but I don't appreciate the snarky attempt to cut me off at the knees. I didn't steal from your mod (as explained below); I didn't even say that every single spell in my mod would be radically different from every other mod out there - just that there are tons of spells I've made that other people (like you), have not.

For example: Shapeshift claws, Shapeshift Wings, Corrosion, Force Wave, Unstable Transformation, Shrink, Stone Golem, Forest Curse, Diamond Plating, Grow, Medusa's Stare, Stop Time, Lingering Shade, Spectral Shield, Winged Twilight, Lucky Rabbit, Sleight of Hand, Waking Nightmare, Bend Will, Soul Fire, Black Swarm, Rite of the Old Gods, Dread Cocoon, Poison Seed, Ray of Light, Dremora Seducer, Conjure Shambles, Chamelon, Enthrall, Psychic Bond, Phoenix Song, Resurrection (a working one), Plague Bringer, Flameheart, etc etc etc

See my point?

Also....

Infestation ---> not, in fact, like the Perma spell, except for the name. It doesn't do any damage itself, and the entire effect comes from the fact that the spiders spread the plague, which the perma spell doesn't do.

Rampage ---> Again, different effect than yours. Even the way it provides a boost is different. Is it the name that bother you?

Phantom Pain ---> Does percentage damage, which will grow with illusion perks that boost magnitude Whoops, okay, yours does % damage too, didn't notice that. But still, it's a different spell in a different school with different visual effects.

Runic Weapon ---> Nothing like yours, is not at all based on casting spells or whatever. (I never used the spell from your mod, so I can't be sure).

Time Lock ---> Mine is small AOE, different from your old spell, and you don't even have that one any more

Lifebloom --> Instant effect, small magnitude. Aka, essentially a different spell. Again, is it the name that bothers you?

I've spent countless hours pouring my heart and soul into this mod, and despite what you seem to think, I didn't copy-paste stolen content from other mods. I was inspired by other mods, sure - in some cases, I even attempted to make my own unique version of spells I thought were cool. But except for a few similar effects (and ok, maybe I should rethink some names), they are all my spells, including visuals that I made from scratch.

I loved Grimoire 1.0, and thought it was a sorely underappreciated mod. If your skills now are much better, then this is going to be fantastic.

Can't wait. Just as I was starting a new mage playthrough, too! I'll wait. :D

Glad you're excited! I'll try to post my progress here as I go, but it's going to take at least a month for me to finish. I'm doing a lot of in-depth beta testing this time around, to make sure I squash any potential bugs before they appear.

Edited by steelfeathers

I would like to know when this mod is released! It sounds awesome. +1

Probably not for another month or so. I have to flesh out the destruction school and finish some other missing bits, AND finish testing it to hell and back to make sure everything works the way it should. Which is why I made this thread - to keep you guys appraised of how it's going. :)

Good luck with finishing the mod, I hope I will be able to catch it (skyrim files get updated so fast you barely have a day before they get lost) Can you please PM me when it is done just in case I do miss its release?

You know, I admire your spell mods and your skill as a modder, but I don't appreciate the snarky attempt to cut me off at the knees.

I've spent countless hours pouring my heart and soul into this mod, and despite what you seem to think, I didn't copy-paste stolen content from other mods. I was inspired by other mods, sure - in some cases, I even attempted to make my own unique version of spells I thought were cool. But except for a few similar effects (and ok, maybe I should rethink some names), they are all my spells, including visuals that I made from scratch.

I never said you stole content. I'm saying if the objective is to combine well with other spell mods (as you stated 4 times in your original post), here are some overlapping names or effects. You are the one taking this as a personal attack.

Duplicate spells are a dealbreaker for many people. I removed spirit animals because SkyRe has spirit animals, abandoned many alteration ideas because they are somewhere else and avoided raise dead spells because other mods usually change the raise dead mechanics. You can't go without Teleport in a spell mod, but mine has a long cast time and near unlimited range which others don't have. That means cutting content, but in my experience you don't have a choice.