What is more important. The search for truth or knowledge?

kvnchrist

The other day I heard that Scott Walker tried to change the mission of Wisconsin Universities mission statement from the search for truth to that of providing a workforce for the state.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/wp/2015/02/05/how-gov-walker-tried-to-quietly-change-the-mission-of-the-university-of-wisconsin/

Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker submitted a budget proposal that included language that would have changed the century-old mission of the University of Wisconsin system — known as the Wisconsin Idea and embedded in the state code — by removing words that commanded the university to “search for truth” and “improve the human condition” and replacing them with “meet the state’s workforce needs.”

I don't really want to discuss what people think of this guy. I don't particularly like the man, myself but the phrase SEARCH FOR TRUTH caught my attention. My question would be why any university would set out to search for truth, since truth, to me is perception. Even people who agree with others on everything have issues when it comes to The Truth. Is it something that can be learned or taught to anyone by anyone?

Would it be more precise to say they are in the search for knowledge and use that knowledge as a base to find the truth within themselves?

Even with knowledge could anyone really find truth without wisdom and would wisdom be a product of knowledge or experience?

If Experience is necessary for the finding of truth couldn't it be argued that Universities might not be necessary in the search for truth.

• 2 weeks later...

Knowledge is everywhere but no so truth.

unless you are an ideologue. I which case truth is everywhere and knowledge must support that truth or it's just stupidity.

Of course they reject everything that doesn't fit into their narrow-minded little worlds.

In my opinion,the ultimate truth is unknowable and only a fool,scam artist or misguided zealots make claims to anything approaching the ultimate truth.

Knowledge is far more important than truth.

Edited by gandalftw

And Einstein said Imagination is more important than knowledge... :smile:

I think it would be prudent to consider when and by whom the University's mission statement was made. Our ideas regarding "truth" and the relativism of this has changed dramatically over the last hundred years (both with different philosophies and truth as science.) The search for "truth" doesn't even have to be an agreed upon "truth" or even a final one. The search is the important part of the statement. This searching is a concept introduced by Socrates, Plato and Aristotle and continued into though less so today. I think colleges and universities are at their best when they teach people how to think, not what to think. This will always improve the human condition.

In my opinion and I don't know if there are any documents explaining the University's mission statement or if it goes on to explain further, however I think the search for knowledge is implied in their search for truth. There is no statement there about finding the truth or proclaiming the truth just the search. Questioning what we believe and why we believe it. Isn't that what higher education is supposed at its purest, to be?

Now college as part of employment is something that is debated. Personally I think if they are doing the above it can be a great asset to society. However some things and people don't require traditional college. Job and skill training, mentor-ships and trades can all be necessary and good options. I don't think a four year degree should necessarily be "better" than doing an apprenticeship for a skill (and the rising cost of higher education makes this more so in my eyes.) I do not however think that Universities should be relegated to a job training place or put out to pasture if it is not. So this politician wanting to be seen as doing something for jobs is really doing nothing at all. Universities are not employment placement trainings and to try to make them act as such is a mistake.

Perhaps the governor should consider a public works project....

And Einstein said Imagination is more important than knowledge... :smile:

Hi Lisnpuppy been a while.

Einstein also said,God does not play dice, but..... :tongue:

“The truth." Dumbledore sighed. "It is a beautiful and terrible thing, and should therefore be treated with great caution.”

― J.K.Rowling

You know that the impression that College is there for that you can "discover yourself" and search for the higher meaing just goes around since the Baby Boomers went there, did a loot of drugs and "discovered themselfs".

The Governour is totaly right about that. A College is a Training Facility for the Requierments of the Market. It isn't there for that Nobodies can study 16th Century old english Poetry, Mayan Art and Gender Studies to "discover themselfs" and then end up in debt while bitching about, that they can't find a job. You can't find a job with a diploma in Mayan Art? Well what a shocker.

The government doesn't want them searching for truth any more. They might discover that we have been lied to for decades, and upset some people.

Seriously, this is exactly the kind of low spirited attitude this pot smoking "discover yourself" past formed up to. Big scandal ahead, government "doesn't you to search for the truth". Everyone who isn't a total Moron knows that Governments are lying and they are fine with that. Why? Because its often better than expect these people to handle the truth. And even if a big scandal would come out, people wouldn't care. Bit besides that, this government coverup Nonsense has little to do with what the Governour imposed.

People ain't searching for "truth". They search for explanations that would fit an already settled moral perimeter.