Specific ref quest aliases not filling?

Mattiewagg

I've got a set of specific reference quest aliases pointing to some average, unique NPCs in a start game enabled quest with an SEQ generated. I test by opening up Skyrim and COCing straight into a cell, but whenever I check the quest with SQV [questID] it says all my aliases are NONE.

I have no idea why this is. None of the aliases are optional, it says the quest is running and the stage is at 0 (initial stage). Any ideas?

Try generating and reloading an auto save.

Also, try removing aliases one at a time (back up your esp first).

Make sure you are using a clean save to test. I know that you probably are, but it's always worth mentioning the obvious.

Other than that the only other suggestion I would make is load order.

The only thing that I could reference if using Unique Actor fill type.

Unique Actor

Pick a Unique actor to fill the alias. Note that this will only work if the specified actor's reference has been assigned a Persist Location.

I gather that means the actor is part of a Location.

eg: right click the Actor in the object window and select Use Info.

If the actor has LCTN and that location has their ref in the actor tab in the location window and that location is persistent then it should work when using the Unique Actor fill type.

Edited by sLoPpYdOtBiGhOlE

The only thing that I could reference if using Unique Actor fill type.

Unique Actor

Pick a Unique actor to fill the alias. Note that this will only work if the specified actor's reference has been assigned a Persist Location.

I gather that means the actor is part of a Location.

eg: right click the Actor in the object window and select Use Info.

If the actor has LCTN and that location has their ref in the actor tab in the location window and that location is persistent then it should work when using the Unique Actor fill type.

I'm using Specific ref as Unique Actor comes with a whole plethora of other problems.

Does seem odd then as you mentioned you haven't checked the Optional flag and going by the info I read then the quest shouldn't actually start if a Reference Alias doesn't fill, but as you mentioned it's not the case and the quest is running.

I really haven't used an actor as a hard set specific ref yet, but I have used other non optional objects as a specific ref or location ref and the ref alias has always been filled on the quest start.

(I can tell they are filled as the specific ref <Alias=object> and <Alias=location> I use in a book the quest creates and the book displays them).

Most actors I've used as specific ref the quest has started and I've used ForceRefTo the actor via a script at a later time as needed.

Which obviously does not help with your specific problem.