I can't buy Breezehome

Jennifur68

Ok, last night I took all my save files from my Nord warrior Jennifur and moved them to another folder, started a new game on a Dunmer mage. Everything was going fine until I killed the first dragon at the western watchtower and reported to Jarl Balgruuf. Things seemed to go alright at first, he made me thane of Whiterun, gave me an axe as badge of office, gave me Lydia as a housecarl and said I could buy a house in the city...but when I talk to the Steward no matter what time of day it is with him in the throne room 10 feet from the Jarl the steward doesn't have the dialog option to sell me Breezehome.

I've spent the past ten hours trying to figure out why the option to buy Breezehome isn't showing up. I've done the Bleak Fall Barrow quest for the Jarl and the trader in Riverwood, returned to Whiterun and delivered the quest item to the mage, Balgruff said I could buy a house in the city. I rushed out to the western tower and killed the dragon then returned to Balgruuf. As part of my troubleshooting I've tried loading the save from just before I go kill the dragon and turned off the Dawnguard, Heartfire and Dragonborn DLC along with every mod and I still don't get the option to buy Breezehome with just Skyrim.esm and Update.esm as the only things in my load order active. I've gone as far back into my saves with nothing active except Skyrim.esm and Update.esm to the point where I entered Bleak Falls Barrow to try to salvage my current. I'm stumped and I really like the look of this character and I'd hate to toss my progress out the window and start over again.

Its been probably two years since I started a new character but I seem to think I've done all I need to do to buy Breezehome or am I missing something? If I'm not missing anything is there a console command that can force the option to buy Breezehome into the conversation menu? Any help would be appreciated.

Okay. Don't bother turning off your DLC, leave those on.

Next, try to buy a home from the Hearthfire DLC. Any of the three that the DLC adds will do. If you are able to successfully purchase one of them, then try to purchase a house that is included in the default Skyrim game. This should be fairly easy, as any of them will do. Markarth, Solitude, Riften, Windhelm, doesn't matter.

Depending on whether you are able or unable to purchase other houses, we will go from there.

You need the Unofficial Patches in the order.

Sykrim.esm

Update.esm

Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp
Dawnguard.esm
Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp
Hearthfires.esm
Unofficial Hearthfire Patch.esp
Dragonborn.esm
Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.esp
[Your other ESM files]
HighResTexturePack01.esp
HighResTexturePack02.esp
HighResTexturePack03.esp
Unofficial High Resolution Patch.esp
[The rest of your mods]
The HiResTexturePack is optional and FREE from Steam. You should also be using LOOT (the stable version not the Beta) as well.