Need Help Uninstalling/Reinstalling Skyrim

oneevilchicken

Hello, when I first got my laptop and started playing skyrim, oblivion, etc on it I installed everything including steam into the programs files X86 folder and I now realize that this can sometimes cause problems with games running smoother. I'm just needing now to uninstall skyrim, (and steam if I have to) and reinstalling it into a better location on my computer. I currently have about 150 mods which I'd like to keep, but dont know who to uninstall without basically deleting everything and starting from scratch. Does anyone have a walkthrough on how to uninstall/reinstall at a different place where I can keep my mods? Also should I reinstall Steam as well, or is it fine to keep in Programs File X86?

If you want to relocated Skyrim, you have to relocate Steam. As it defaults to a Steam directory and doesn't let you put at anywhere else. I did this as well at one point last year. I wanted Skyrim in another place and had to re-install Steam as well.

"Steam relies on the game files residing in the SteamApps folder, your game files will go to whatever folder you have Steam installed in. The game files must be in the SteamApps folder in order to function."

Read both and do what suits you best:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7710-TDLC-0426&l=English

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7418-YUBN-8129&l=English

As for saving your mods, you're not uninstalling NMM or MO so they should be saved there. You'll have to redirect your NMM or MO to Skryim's new location though so that it finds it. JUST IN CASE, you can just make a backup of all your mods you have. Depending what program you use, go to the folder that has all the mods saved and .zip or .rar the file. This may take a while.