Did Windows Update break Skyrim?

Captainhepp

I seem to have an interesting problem I hope someone can help with.

So I've been playing my skyrim quite happily for about the past week. It's been very stable. I'm usually very good about checking mods for conflicts, and just started a new play-through with those mods all up-to-date. Like I said, it's been wonderful, smooth sailing.... until today. Last night, Windows Update downloaded and installed something. Don't know exactly what, but I have it set up to tell me if it's anything other than a normal update. I never got such a notification. So it downloads, installs, and I shut off the computer. No big deal.

Today I boot it up, and it goes through it's normal "configuring updates" song and dance for a minute or so, then has to reboot again. No errors. At this point it boots normally. Everything seems perfectly fine. Everything works. But my Skyrim can no longer load exterior cells. It doesn't matter if I load a much older save, or even start a new game. Running the launcher, disabling ENB, etc... I can load interior saves and function just fine. But I can't load in the exterior and I can't go out of an interior worldspace. In either event, I get a loading screen and then a CTD. No errors, no hanging. The program just closes. I haven't changed ANYTHING. No mod changes. No configuration changes. Nothing. Baffling.

Any ideas out there? I'm stumped.

First thing to try: reboot your computer again. Don't know why this helps, but if I suddenly start crashing, that usually fixes it.

-If that doesn't help, try disabling the OneDrive, I've occasionally had trouble with that while playing skyrim as well. On that note, check Task Manager to see if you have any fun new processes running that might be causing trouble.

I had the same thing....Skyrim working perfectly, then did a reboot because of Windows Update. Trying to start Skyrim and it loads the logo but doesn't go any further...I went into Mod Manager and removed all the mods, then added them back in 5 at a time (or groups where they did the same thing), restarting Skyrim after every time.

Looks like somehow (and I've no idea) the Windows Update or just reboot process had reactivated a mod I had previously deactivated because of conflict (Book Covers actually). After that was removed everything worked just like normal.

I got my Windows Update several nights ago. It was quite extensive so I went to bed and let it update overnight. The next morning my machine started fine and ran the update. I was apprehensive but when I ran Skyrim it started up just like it always does and I have experienced no problems with it, as yet.

Rabbit

I had an update a few weeks ago. After it activated I pressed SKSE to start, nothing at all would happen. About 3 or 4 hours later a lone update arrived. After it deployed everything worked again.

I deleted everything, re-downloaded, then re-enabled all my mods, and it can't even boot now. Sad face. :sad:

I did get it do run with only the stock DLCs and all first, though. So I'll disable everything and start again. Whatever. Thanks Microsoft.... :sleep:

Seems to be all better now. Since I was already at it I re-downloaded absolutely every update that was available for each of the 130+ mods I use. Spent hours going over each one to establish what inter-connected/relied on what and everything seems to be working. I even got my old save to load... surprisingly. Totally did not expect that. I'll take it, though. :cool:

Will try playing for a bit on that save to check for stability. If it crashes frequently I'll start a new game. #firstworldproblems

Thanks for the input you all!