Blue Magic - Auto Learn spells that you're hit with

TGDBM

Hello, Just putting this out here. This is my first post but I'll try to make this post worthy as possible.

I'm looking for a mod (or requesting one if none exists) that allows you to learn any spells by having them cast on you, Similar to Kimari or Strago from the Final Fantasy Series. I had hoped to use this for a Blue Mage Roleplay build.

I've looked for the mods and the closest thing I could come up with were a couple spells from Apocalypse - magic of skyrim. Thoughtsteal which steals the spells of a target to cast for yourself but only for a short time and Cloak of Mimicry which copies nearby spells cast. but aside from the cloak not seeming to work properly at all, I was looking for something that teaches you the specific magic that you were hit with, and acts as a constant effect not tied to a perk (might conflict with other perk tree mods) like Ancient Knowledge, or a constant enchantment effect on a ring.

Even if this isn't something someones willing to pick up on, I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me if its even possible.

it is possible but has some limitations.

the way I would go about it is to give the player a hidden ability (or more) with conditioned magic effects that have scripts attached to them and add the spells. the conditions for the effects of the ability to fire would need to be "hasmagiceffect". However, since many spells in vanilla use the same effect but e.g. with different magnitudes this would be imperfect.

there are possibly other methods but they would probably require "cloak" scripts that run continuously and I tend to stay away from those for various reasons.

Huh, I thought I wrote and finished my comment.

Anyhow, Bizkit is more than right with that one.

Many NPC's use spells that are assigned to "lefthand" "righthand" (They are their own spells with different ID), + some variants with different magnitudes.

So basically this would end up cluttering magic menu worse than PSB command.

You would have to basically recreate the enchanting "base" function using formlists. There aren't too many vanilla spells so it wouldn't be too complicated for those, but there would be some real risks (both balance and technical) if you tried to kake it work with mod-added spells.

Taking a bit form everyones input and thinking on this a bit more, blue mages learn special abilities, usually signature moves by specific enemies. Instead of creating a way where you learn all magic that come into contact with the dragonborn, what someone could do to keep with the theme is to create a special set of spells or skills that deal damage upon impact and teach the dragonborn the move at the same time. These spells can be added to npcs. That way we avoid constant effect cloaks that scan for attacks all together while still achieveing the desired effect.

Though This would essentially create a brand new class within skyrim. I think this is becoming a pretty bulky project already and I know very little about papyrus. I guess nows as good a time as any to read up on it, lmao.

Am I getting too far out there? what are your thoughts?

Alright, so this is the simplist way I could think of making this work, minus all the extra FX

OnEffectStart(Actor akTarget, Actor akCaster)
If !akTarget.hasSpell(Firepunch)
atTarget.addSpell(Firepunch)
EndIf
EndEvent

The idea is to add this to an attack I will create called "EnemyFirePunch" which will be given to various NPCs. The spell will be set up so that it will only activate when attacking the player and not other NPCS. When you are hit with the spell, you'll learn a version of this spell that does not use this specific script as to keep it from being run over and over again.

--------------------------------------------

Edit: Won't compile. As I said, I don't have skills with Papyrus, so I'll work on this (and hopefully learn more) and let you guys know what I make of it :P

Edited by TGDBM

Woo! after fixing some syntax and bit of toggling to this script, it finally work.

Scriptname LearnFireBallScript extends activemagiceffect
Spell property Fireball auto
Event OnEffectStart(Actor akTarget, Actor akCaster)
If !akTarget.HasSpell(Fireball)
akTarget.AddSpell(Fireball)
EndIf
EndEvent

I set the spell properties to fireball and put the script on all Flame Atronach spells to test it, and got it to work. Now I can start on adding new Enemy specific spells. Thanks for the help guys.

Edited by TGDBM