Save Bloat?

Dubik123

Hello everyone, I would like to ask a question. Is save bloating an issue in Fallout New Vegas? I have a Level 50 character save and its size is 12MB. However, I am not experiencing any issues with loading times or anything like that. Actually, I think New Vegas is one of the least buggy games on my PC! So do I have a problem? If so, is there a way to clean my save? I will post my load order later on, if its needed. Thank you.

There are cases where it can bloat. But I personally would consider 12 Mb still a good average, I usually am around 14-18 Mb on high level chars.

NVSE cosave can bloat too.

To clean a bloated save usually you must identify the cause in your load order (not very easy) and then remove it and make a new save.

Thanks for replying. I dont find any of the sypthoms of save bloating people are talking about in different forums. Loading a hard save takes around 12 seconds, so I think Im okay. I dont use NVSE or anything like that, so if my save gets larger, I dont know what caused it. By removing, do you mean that I have to disable the .esp of the mod, or delete it completely and then saving?

no as I said I find 12 Mb pretty common on a savegame. I just browsed an old backup folder of 2013, my biggest savegame was 17.4 Mb.

NVSE has its own file, it shouln't affect your main savegame. If your game gets larger, it's because of the game itself or the mods. The savegame is going to grow, it's unavoidable, it stores even if you kick a tincan on the ground.

You don't need to delete the mod completely, you only untick the ESP / ESM and then make a new save. Then you can re-tick the mod again, it will be resetted, so all its infos will be gone (i.e. if it's a quest mod, you'll have to restart it).

An exception comes if the mod you untick is master of another mod, at that point even if you untick it, it will still be loaded when you start the game and you won't clean anything.

However, if a mod requires another mod to work, but there's no master dependency (it is not its master) I don't think it will be forced to load at start.