Screen Tearing: Out of Options

SolemnSeraph

I can't seem to catch a break. "Skyrim CTD on launch, don't feel like dealing with that. Oblivion is spazzing out with conflicts and shaders, putting that on hold. Well, at least Morrowind runs fine! And why wouldn't it? My system is great, and the only thing I added was MGE!" Think again. Booted Morrowind (which was running fine last week) and was slapped in the face with insane tearing. "UGH! Time to troubleshoot this..."

[x] Update Nvidia Drivers

[x] Force Vsync through Nvidia

[x] Enable Triple Buffering

[x] Set MGE Refresh Rate to 60 (default)

[x] Set MGE Vwait to 1, 2, 3, 4, and Immediate

[x] Limit FPS to 60

I'm out of options here. I've checked fifteen sites and all of them suggest the above. None of which worked. Anybody else have an idea? Or maybe I should just toss my PC out a window and go live in the woods. Really tired of this "Fix one issue, find two new ones" BS :mad:

Edited by SolemnSeraph

No one has any input?

Okay here is something else. It only tears in fullscreen. Additionally, I do not recall it happening when my Steam library was in Program Files(x86). I since moved the library to C:\Users\*User*\Games\Installs

Could this be causing issues with MGE hooking?

You've tried all the things I'd suggest

"[x] Limit FPS to 60" is via morrowind.ini, yes?

Are you using MGE or MGE XE? The latter is actually being maintained. It's here on Nexus.

Actually I finally got it. It was complicated, but for anyone who is trying to eliminate tearing in Morrowind, try:

- Update GPU Drivers

- Force Vsync through Nvidia/ATI

- Enable Triple Buffering through Nvidia/ATI

- Set MGE XE Refresh Rate to match your monitor

- Set MGE XE Vwait to 1, 2, 3, 4, and Immediate

- Limit FPS to a multiple or factor of your refresh rate (eg for 60 Hz set to 60, 30, 120, etc.)

- Make sure that Morrowind is set to fullscreen both in MGE XE and in the launcher settings

- Install Morrowind outside of Program Files or Program Files (x86)

- Validate/Reinstall Morrowind

If MGE XE is hooking (displays in the top right corner during loading) and/or Morrowind is crashing, try

- Install DirectX 9 Redistributable (offline) (May not work on Windows 8 / 8.1)

- Install .NET 3.5 framework (offline) (May not work on Windows 8 / 8.1)

- Install Visual C++ 2008 Redisrtibutable (offline) (May not work on Windows 8 / 8.1)

- Run MGE XE as an Administrator via the Compatibility tab

- Run Morrowind Launcher as an Administrator via the Compatibility tab

- Run Morrowind Administrator via the Compatibility tab

For me,

- Make sure that Morrowind is set to fullscreen both in MGE XE and in the launcher settings

and

- Run MGE XE as an Administrator via the Compatibility tab

are what fixed it. But in my travels across the internet, I learned that any on the above suggestions can aid in getting Morrowind to be nice and shiny.

If these still don't help, PM me and I'll try to help.

"Set MGE XE Vwait to 1, 2, 3, 4, and Immediate"

Can't you pick only one of those?

At any single time, yes. What I mean is that they should all be tried until one, if any, works.

Gotcha. I just thought that was worth clarifying for any future person who gets the same issue (hello future person. How are the food pills?)

At a guess I think your issue could've been MGE XE being set to windowed / full screen and Morrowind (via its launcher) being set to the other.

And another thing I've seen (as Compatibility tabs are mentioned):

Set morrowind.exe to:

Run as Administrator (must do from what I've heard)

Run in Windows XP (Service Pack 3) compatibility mode (should do from what I've heard)

Under Settings: (could do from what I've heard)

- Disable visual themes

- Disable desktop composition

- Disable display scaling on high DPI settings

Glad you got things working, SolemnSeraph, albeit all on your own :thumbsup:

"Set MGE XE Vwait to 1, 2, 3, 4, and Immediate"

Can't you pick only one of those?

At any single time, yes. What I mean is that they should all be tried until one, if any, works.
Gotcha. I just thought that was worth clarifying for any future person who gets the same issue (hello future person. How are the food pills?)

At a guess I think your issue could've been MGE XE being set to windowed / full screen and Morrowind (via its launcher) being set to the other.

And another thing I've seen (as Compatibility tabs are mentioned):

Set morrowind.exe to:

Run as Administrator (must do from what I've heard)

Run in Windows XP (Service Pack 3) compatibility mode (should do from what I've heard)

Under Settings: (could do from what I've heard)

- Disable visual themes

- Disable desktop composition

- Disable display scaling on high DPI settings

Glad you got things working, SolemnSeraph, albeit all on your own :thumbsup:

Not having MGE and Morrowind set to Fullscreen prevented MGE from hooking. Once set, it would hook but then crash. Morrowind.exe shouldn't have to be set to Run As Administrator. MGE must be, and Morrowind Launcher.exe may have to be. I have to run the launcher as an admin only when changing settings, but a friend needs it set that way indefinitely or MGE won't apply settings. Comparability mode causes serious issues for me on 8.1 and I have yet to use it successfully on any programs, but may be effective for others. Disable Desktop Themes is not an option in 8 and 8.1 from what I can tell, but I know it seriously helped on Windows 7, especially when running Oblivion. Thanks for the help. Cheers.

Not having MGE and Morrowind set to Fullscreen prevented MGE from hooking. Once set, it would hook but then crash. Morrowind.exe shouldn't have to be set to Run As Administrator. MGE must be, and Morrowind Launcher.exe may have to be. I have to run the launcher as an admin only when changing settings, but a friend needs it set that way indefinitely or MGE won't apply settings. Comparability mode causes serious issues for me on 8.1 and I have yet to use it successfully on any programs, but may be effective for others. Disable Desktop Themes is not an option in 8 and 8.1 from what I can tell, but I know it seriously helped on Windows 7, especially when running Oblivion. Thanks for the help. Cheers.

The adminstration problem can be avoided if you install the game outside Program Files. Windows doesn't allow Morrowind to change registry settings or to access files, since the game was pre-Vista and hence had different way of doing things. If you install Morrowind outside Program Files, Windows doesn't mind it much. Same is true for almost all games, softwares which were released before Vista came out.

The adminstration problem can be avoided if you install the game outside Program Files. Windows doesn't allow Morrowind to change registry settings or to access files, since the game was pre-Vista and hence had different way of doing things. If you install Morrowind outside Program Files, Windows doesn't mind it much. Same is true for almost all games, softwares which were released before Vista came out.
This is not true. I have it installed in a new directory on C drive and UAC still needs it to run as an admin to rlfunction properly. In theory, you would be right. But when it comes to Windows theory rarely is relevant ;)