you must specify at least one bone node

duude98

I am new to 3ds max for modding Skyrim, however I do have the hang of it somewhat. Right now I am trying to rig a model to the flame atronach's skeleton using the skinwrap modifier, and deleting everything but the new model and the skeleton afterwards, but when I try to export to a nif, I get the error "you must specify at least one bone node". I actually don't get this when I delete the skeleton, but then it just crumples into a ball when using it in Skyrim. I have seen numerous suggested fixes for this on the internet (model too high poly, bones not weighted, etc.) but none of them have proved helpful. Does anyone here have any wisdom on the subject?

How many parts in the list I get this if I have a number of parts and miss one when skinning, its easy when theres 5 or 6, or more parts

to miss the small part

The model I am skinning is one part, but the flame atronach has three or four. All of them are rigged to the entire skeleton, so I thought it would not make that much of a difference

How many parts in the list I get this if I have a number of parts and miss one when skinning, its easy when theres 5 or 6, or more parts

to miss the small part

So If the model is too different, it must be rigged manually as opposed to using the skinwrap modifier, your saying? The bones appear to be weighted correctly and everything, and in max the new skeleton can be used to control the model...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to do the same thing, but I can't even get it to open in the Creation Kit. Are there any good tutorials specifically for character models? Everything I find is armor or statics. I've got a model rigged to the gargoyle skeleton, moves with the bones and all, but somewhere in the process I'm missing something or not converting...I don't know.

Hey Guys,

Try this:

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/2497639-new-playable-skyrim-character-not-armour-model-rigging-tutorial/

the blog is called:

New Playable Skyrim 'Character' (NOT Armour) Model Rigging Tutorial ?

Hope this helps you both - good luck with your modding.

Cheers,

JF

• 2 months later...

So this is an interesting factoid. The reason my model was so messed up is actually quite simple (and stupid.) When I started, the model was a base mesh, and a separate mesh for the eyes. At the beginning I just attached the eyes to the mesh, thinking it was one mesh now and I was good to go. However, I must have kept the textures separate for the eyes and the body. So when I tried to export as a nif, the program was expecting just one texture, but there were two, so it wasn't able to match anything to the original model (a vanilla gargoyle). This means it couldn't match up any of the nodes or bones, so everything was broken. I went back, deleted the eyes, and rigged the whole thing in about ten minutes, and everything worked perfectly. So, to anyone reading this, DON'T DO ^THAT^! Or at least keep the meshes completely separate, don't attach them. This has been a roadblock for half a year now. Ridicuolous. Anyway, thanks for the help!