Does Nexus use Paypal?

nehpets

I am looking to use Nexus Premium downloading now that the free service is so slow :(

I wish to pay for lifetime membership using Paypal. Does the Nexus accept payment from Paypal?

On the shopping pages the site asks for a series of data points that I am not prepared to give to a website which is under no obligation to indemnify me if this information is stolen and misused. Normally paying for games etc through the likes of Steam I simply divert the page to Paypal which automatically validates the transaction without my having to provide personal details to a third party.

Can Nexus follow this procedure?

Yes, the Nexus accepts PayPal. And supporting the site by becoming a Premium Member is a great idea.

But you should understand that you may not get any better download speeds. Going Premium removes the cap (1Mbps) that's in place for non-Premium members. But if you're not already hitting that, going Premium probably won't help. :sad:

I think you should still do it. There are many other benefits, including knowing that you're helping keep the Nexus a free resource for the Community, but want to make sure you don't get a case of buyer's remorse.

The screenshot below shows you the payment options.

http://static-6.nexusmods.com/15/images/140/1678793-1428758375.png

NOTE: The Nexus requests address information during the process to comply with banking and tax requirements (does VAT apply, and if so, how much?) We do not store that information.

I had this question a while ago already, people asking if payment through PayPal was supported, while PayPal is the 'one' payment type advertised like everywhere when reading up payment types supported. Which got me stumped, to be honest.

However, on investigating the payment routine back then, I realized some small confusing part in the process, which might've been responsible for people thinking it was 'not' supported.

When you select the "Debit/Credit Card" option, you're immediately presented with another interface popping into place for you to enter the required payment details.

But when you select the "PayPal.com" option, it seems as if nothing happens initially. But as soon as you click on "Confirm My Order" then, you're switching sites to PayPal.com to go the usual route over there, like you know it.

The Nexus website did "never" ask for anything else from me, when I chose "PayPal.com" for the payment type. So I don't know where this is coming from, unless you never chose "PayPal.com" to begin with.

However, as I don't have a PayPal account myself, yet, I cannot follow through the whole procedure and see what happens once the PayPal side of things is done. Does the Nexus ask for anything else 'then'? I don't know.

I already stated back then, that this confusingly labeled button "Confirm My Order", which switches function depending on the payment type option selected without telling anybody, could use a little information text block or something, to inform people that once they selected PayPal as an option clicking the button will 'not' "Confirm" the order but switch over to PayPal.com for the payment details required. Many people did just never click it, because they were waiting for further input fields to pop up like when you chose a different payment option, but nothing happens. Which led them to believe the PayPal payment option was broken, while it is not.

I agree with OP on this. The Nexus site asks all your personal information (except CC details) during step 1, and if selecting PayPal is on step 2, which cannot be accessed without completing step 1, then it's not possible to pay without giving those details. Don't know why would this be related to taxes, since those are paid through and by PayPal (added when applicable). Already posted earlier about this. Those details are needed maybe when paying with Credit Card, but not with PayPal; that's the point and advantage of using PayPal (would be, in this case).

Don't know why would this be related to taxes

We offer other payment methods other than Pay Pal. The taxes are worked out on our end rather than at the payment processor's end to make things simpler for us, and to avoid discrepancies between the different payment processors.

It's not the only reason why the details are asked for.

One payment method is direct via the site, without having to be directed to Pay Pal/2Checkout/other payment processors. That requires legitimate information in order for it to work.

But most of all, it's a requirement of the eCommerce software we use. Frankly, as long as you enter the right country it's not an issue and you can tell me you live at freaking Disney Land for all I care. I don't use it for anything personally, it's just used to speed up payment processing down the line. And the aforementioned tax calculation.

Thanks for your answer. As I guessed, it's again the law, which forces us to do such things. Ignorance is bliss, really, at times. Gog.com can sell games without asking anything more than an e-mail address used at registering and then redirects to PayPal when buying, but they are the exception. One can at least dream about that becoming the norm one day.

Thanks for the information everyone, apologies for late response..... RL grrr

So I bit the bullet and paid for premium using Paypal since I think the Nexus deserves the support. My downloads are now much faster - about an average of 100 times better - since I was one of the unfortunate souls who had been shafted by the change to the horrible new server system which made the larger files impossible to get at all.

This does now mean that the site now has personal details that in my view it has no business to collect, so I just hope that security is taken seriously.