Modding requirements, compatibility, etc. problems... Help?

emw98

PLEASE

I am brand new to modding Skyrim.. Well, I actually haven't even started yet.. I dont even have a proper gaming pc.. :/

But honestly, I am panicking and flustering myself over this! Whats compatible, what isnt, if numerous mods say download last which one actuallly goes last, etc.

Really though, which one would I download last?

Now, I have a grand list of mods on my tracked folder - about 175-180, for reference - but there are only, say, 10 graphical mods in the bundle. everything else is more immersive, including city overhauls such as Solitude TRUE City or JK's series with all of the cities he/she had done, weapon mods like JaySuS Swords, Warmonger Armory etc., RP mods like Touring Carriages, Frostfall, Realistic Needs & Diseases etc., and so many more smaller mods that add minor features like Unlocked Grip and Left Hand Rings.

Listen, I understand that I'm asking you to take your time to evaluate all of these mods, but I really, really need the help..

Judging by my mod list shown below, how powerful should my pc be? Are there any know incompatibilities, that I've missed? Take a look, I'd appreciate it more than Nazeem appreciates the Cloud District!

Stop. Stop right now.

You're working yourself into a right mess and you don't even have your computer yet?

Just stop.

• First and foremost expecting anyone else to comb through your list of 100+ mods and tell you what's what with all of them - ain't gonna happen. I know, you need help. I know you're scared and confused. I know, and really appreciate, that you asked politely. The answer is still gonna be no though.
  • Second, there's a bunch of programs designed to help you with your load order and conflicts (Wrye, LOOT, Tes5Edit) you would be better served learning those programs and how best to use them than compiling nearly 200 mods for a computer you don't have yet.
  • Third, never, ever, under any circumstances start with 100+ mods. Even experienced users will experience problems when installing more than one mod at a time (it's the little things that trip a person up) you who haven't installed one before - are going to make a massive mess of your system and probably end up needing a complete reinstall of the game.

I know all those mods are tempting but if you really want to be prepared you should read up on mod installation, problem solving and uninstallation, watch a few tutorial videos and then break that list up into five plugin at a time chunks. Working with a smaller number at a time also makes it a lot easier to tell what conflicts with what.

In a way I'm glad you asked this before you'd installed all of these, hopefully this timely little intervention will prevent a lot of problems for you later on.

I agree with Oubliette.

If you want to get started with modding then the last place you want to look too is the mods themselves. You should familiarize yourself with the TOOLS and Guides put together by your betters.

Personally I recommend Gopher and GamerPoets. After watching about eight hours of their content combined I can promise you the level of comfort you feel will improve thousands of percent.

I have a few of their essential videos im my guide but you'll want to visit their YouTube channels directly.

http://www.craigandchris.com/how-to-fix-skyrim-ctds-hangs-and-memory-issues/

Stop. Stop right now.

You're working yourself into a right mess and you don't even have your computer yet?

Just stop.

• First and foremost expecting anyone else to comb through your list of 100+ mods and tell you what's what with all of them - ain't gonna happen. I know, you need help. I know you're scared and confused. I know, and really appreciate, that you asked politely. The answer is still gonna be no though.
  • Second, there's a bunch of programs designed to help you with your load order and conflicts (Wrye, LOOT, Tes5Edit) you would be better served learning those programs and how best to use them than compiling nearly 200 mods for a computer you don't have yet.
  • Third, never, ever, under any circumstances start with 100+ mods. Even experienced users will experience problems when installing more than one mod at a time (it's the little things that trip a person up) you who haven't installed one before - are going to make a massive mess of your system and probably end up needing a complete reinstall of the game.

I know all those mods are tempting but if you really want to be prepared you should read up on mod installation, problem solving and uninstallation, watch a few tutorial videos and then break that list up into five plugin at a time chunks. Working with a smaller number at a time also makes it a lot easier to tell what conflicts with what.

In a way I'm glad you asked this before you'd installed all of these, hopefully this timely little intervention will prevent a lot of problems for you later on.

I understand, of course - I dont mean to ask you to comb over every mod in the list. My question was more balanced towards the performance and hardware requirements. By the looks of it, does it look like it would need a super-computer to run, or would a casual build run these mods fine? Thank you tons for your input though. I have another, hopefully more realistic question: What are TES5Edit, SKSE, and LOOT? Are they all programs designed to ease the modding process? I've read descriptions of mods that actually mention TES5Edit in great depth, mentioning that I don't have to edit or alter the settings through TES5Edit for x mod to work, that sort of thing, and i'm a little confused? Will I need these programs for most mods? One more question, is MCM a standalone mod, or is it part of SkyUI? I've heard both stories. Again, thanks so much for the help, I hate to bombard you with questions but I appreciate and respect your honest and realist response, so I am tempted to come to you again. Thanks!

All if those questions are answered and many more extensively in Gophers and Gamerpoets videos on Skyrim. If you don't have the software yet I would watch the videos so you can see modding in action.

Thank you, I'll definitely take a look. Another question, less important - UNP, CBBE, or any of those female body mods.. do i need them to get the great looking female face? I dont want the overly sexualized look as i'm aiming for the most immersive and realistic experience as skyrim could possibly deliver, however I notice so many follower mods using these body mods that also have hd faces [im not talking about the super soft, anime look - just better than the rather ugly default females]. is there another mod that will give me those looks? Also, do i need to have the body mod that said follower uses if i want to use that follower? I've found many, but i just dont want every female in skyrim walking around with vastly unproportional bodies. Thanks!

There are Body Mods, such as UNP and CBBE and then there are texture mods which place a texture over the top of them.

For realism I personally recommend Mature Skin Textures, you can choose from various realistic options in the files section and overwrite as desired. It's important to note that they are NSFW

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/32986/?

You will need three separate files and load them in this order

1. The body type (UNP or CBBE)
  2. Texture MAPS
  3. and the TEXTURES.
  4. If you need this to be Safe for Work (SFW) which I do because I have kids you can also install the Bikini mod here: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/7736/?
  5. Your Skeleton (Such as XP32 Maximum Skeleton)

Hope this helps.

There are Body Mods, such as UNP and CBBE and then there are texture mods which place a texture over the top of them.

For realism I personally recommend Mature Skin Textures, you can choose from various realistic options in the files section and overwrite as desired. It's important to note that they are NSFW

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/32986/?

You will need three separate files and load them in this order

1. The body type (UNP or CBBE)
  2. Texture MAPS
  3. and the TEXTURES.
  4. If you need this to be Safe for Work (SFW) which I do because I have kids you can also install the Bikini mod here: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/7736/?
  5. Your Skeleton (Such as XP32 Maximum Skeleton)

Hope this helps.

Thank you, you've been immensely helpful. I hope i'm not bothering you when i ask, but are the body mods [uNP, CBBE etc.] necessary? Also, does MCM come as a side feature to SkyUI or is it a standalone mod? Thank you again, I can't stress enough how helpful you've been.

Body mods aren't necessary but the majority of texture mods, including armor overhauls, are made for specific body mods.

The Mod Configuration Menu (MCM) is part of SkyUI and requires SKSE. You'll only need SKSE and SkyUI installed to access it from your menu screen.

Body mods aren't necessary but the majority of texture mods, including armor overhauls, are made for specific body mods.

The Mod Configuration Menu (MCM) is part of SkyUI and requires SKSE. You'll only need SKSE and SkyUI installed to access it from your menu screen.

Okay, I'll remember that, and okay, i'd been looking for standalone MCM but never could seem to find it, haha. Thank you, thank you thank you thank you for the help!