Very Rookie modder trying to instal SKSE

HHBBookMaster

I have downloaded Nexus Mod Manager and am now starting to experiment with mods. I don't have much (if any) experience however, so I'm not sure how to handle this problem. I have been followng the video at

about how to install SKSE. I think I have done everything well, except when I get to the point of installing it with Nexus Mod Manaer. I import the RAR file, but I keep getting this error box:

FAILURE
A problem occured during install:

Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown.

The mod was not installed.

I looked this up and some I have seen have had this problem with a 32 bit system. Sadly, I'm running ancient Windows XP on this computer (you work with what you have). Can I assume that this is the cause of this error?

And if so, can ayone give me advice on how to install it manually? I have tried the readme that came with the SKSE download, but it tells me to transfer the data to a folder that doesn't exist. I have the Data folder in my Skyrim folder, but there is no folder in the Data folder marked "Scripts", and I'm supposed to transfer the SKSE .pex and .psc data in there. I tried transfering the whole Scripts folder to where it said it should be, but when I try to run the Exe I just get an error message.

Thanks for the help. Sorry if this seems like a rookie problem.

Havent watched that video but i dont think you should install skse with nmm, maybe its posible, not sure, but doing it manually is quite easy:

Extract the skse zip or rar to a temporal folder in your desktop

The skse_loader.exe and two .dll (if i remember correctly) go into :

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\Common\Skyrim

Where your skyrim launcher and all that stuff, not inside data

Then if skse comes with a data copy that data so it merges with yours, if its dkrectly a folder called scripts it goes into data, so you have:

Data/scripts/all those .pex files

On your desktop, make a shortcut to skse_loader.exe, launch Steam, double click your short cut and you're off.

Should give much problems is just copying stuff.

Edit: in skse website there should be an automatic installer instead of downloading the zip you could try that

Edited by FrankFamily

People over-complicate installing SKSE because of some strange idea that they need to be able to manage its script files with NMM or other mod managers.

By far the easiest way to install SKSE for normal play is to use the automatic installer. Then when you restart NMM it should have an option for starting the game through SKSE.

But installing using the SKSE archive is easy too. Just open your Skyrim folder (that holds TESV.exe) then also open the SKSE archive file and make sure you can see both windows at the same time. Now drag everything from the SKSE archive over into the Skyrm folder. Let Windows merge the Data and Script folders and replace the files ending in .pex. That's it, you're done. There's no need to do something special and complicated with the Data folder.

If you later find that some other mod has overwritten one of the SKSE files, just reinstall SKSE.

I agree with cdcooley.

I have to install SKSE by any method other than the automatic installer.. and I use Mod Organizer. Mod Organizer detects your SKSE installation automagically anyway. Now, I've gone in and added tweaks to my SKSE installation after the fact (such as the INI tweak for memory management and SSME) but other than that the auto installer has been fine for me since I've started modding.

SSME video can be found here if you want the memory blocks tweak

http://www.craigandchris.com/how-to-fix-skyrim-ctds-hangs-and-memory-issues/

SKSE cannot be installed using a mod manager because it isn't a mod. It doesn't install like a mod and cannot be run like a mod. It MUST be started before the game every time you play. If you do not do this it cannot work. NMM and MO each have a SKSE detection and start function - but they work differently. Whichever you use, you will still need to read the documentation for that manager. If you do not use a manager, there is a SKSE launcher that installs with SKSE that must be used to start the game with SKSE.

SKSE cannot be installed using a mod manager because it isn't a mod. It doesn't install like a mod and cannot be run like a mod. It MUST be started before the game every time you play. If you do not do this it cannot work. NMM and MO each have a SKSE detection and start function - but they work differently. Whichever you use, you will still need to read the documentation for that manager. If you do not use a manager, there is a SKSE launcher that installs with SKSE that must be used to start the game with SKSE.

He is correct. It's skse_loader.exe and it is located in your Skyrim directory after installing SKSE

Thank you so much for this, you are all a big help. OK, what I did was merge the SKSE Data folder into the Skyrim Data folder, plus copied the loose SKSE files into the Skyrim folder. I think this was what Frankfamily and cdcooley meant to have me do.

SKSE still won't boot up though, so I must have messed something up previoiusly (or been an idiot and misunderstood directions this time). So here are some screenshots of the Skyrim folder and its data, plus some screenies of what are in some of the other folders there in the Skyrim folder.

The Skyrim Folder Contents:

http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u398/zaidaun/Skyrim_file_1_zpscmumpz9s.jpg

The Data Folder Contents:

http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u398/zaidaun/Skyrim_file_Data_zpshuehm2kt.jpg

The DirectX10 Contents:

[url=http://s1065.photobucket.com/user/zaidaun/media/Skyrim_file_DirectX10_zpsa1n6bb0p.jpg.html]http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u398/zaidaun/Skyrim_file_DirectX10_zpsa1n6bb0p.jpg

Let me know if you need me to go in and screenshot any further file's contents. I'm thinking I must have put somethere where I shouldn't, what do you think?

Edited by HHBBookMaster

Oh geez...SKSE is really easy to install, but everyone over complicates it.

All you have to do is download the .zip file and extract it. Every single loose file that starts with "skse" gets copy pasted into the Skyrim directory (where tesv.exe is located).

Now just zip the data folder that was in the SKSE .zip into it's own archive and install it via whatever mod manager you want.

I've done this repeatedly on two different computers using both MO and NMM. In the end there's no reason to put anything into your Skyrim data folder with either mod manager.