Very Rookie modder trying to instal SKSE

HHBBookMaster

The core SKSE files are in the Skyrim folder. Good so far.

I'll assume those .pex files in your Skyrim folder are leftover from an earlier attempt. They should be in the Skyrim\Data\Scripts folder. It won't hurt anything to have extra copies in the Skyrim folder, but make sure that there is a file called stringutil.pex in Skyrim\Data\Scripts.

Next, make sure Steam is running, then try starting the game with skse_loader.exe. If the game starts but SKSE isn't working, try running skse_loader with administrator privileges (some of us have to do that and some other people don't).

Oh geez...SKSE is really easy to install, but everyone over complicates it.

Yes, but it's the obsession with mod managers that over complicates things and ends up getting new people confused. Every file and folder from the SKSE archive just needs to be extracted (or copied) into the Skyrim folder. The scripts in Data will get merged into the right place by Windows and that completes the installation with no other steps needed. Repackaging the scripts so they can then be installed with a mod manager is what over-complicates the process.

All right, I see where my error was. I guess I needed Steam logged on and running in the background, my bad. Thanks for that tip, cdcooley! And yeah, those other files were from my first clumsy attempt. Put them in the wrong section, sorta looked at it all panic-like, then thought "oh whatever" and moved on to more important things, like trying to find out where they were supposed to go in the first place.

Thank you so much everyone\! Your instructions were very clear and helpful. Greatly appreciated.