What exactly is truth?

kvnchrist

I've heard so many answers to this puzzle and to me it's fairly simple. Truth is the personal perception of the present. It is easier to describe than define because it is a world view, marinated in ideology and fermented in experience. Truth is more than a word. It is also a system wherein a conclusion is based on several structured inputs to produce what a person sees as truth.

If you use imagery, truth is like a tree. The trunk and root system is planted in reality, as it is the basis for all truth. From that trunk sprouts the branches which represent the various ideologise that we believe in, like Liberalism, conservatism, religion. From these branches sprout smaller limbs which represent the variations to these ideologise which are how we veiw finances, social conditions, associations and the like. From there sprout the twigs wherein representing the personal experiences that have fine tuned our personal image of truth beyond that of anything others may understand.

The last, but not the least are the leaves, which represent the manor in which our truths are expressed physically by our personalities. Some people have vibrant personalities which are displayed as leaves fluttering in the breeze while other are more taciturn and feel more like the vines of a weeping willow.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me, truth is a relative and subjective concept that defines all that which doesn't only exist in the realm of one's abstraction. A paradoxical concept that is only relevant to those who can imagine, who can build lies. To a mind that cannot conceive abstract thoughts everything is true, ergo truth doesn't exist.

Truth cannot be proven, but it can be spread, transmitted, caused. It is a voluntary state of the mind, as is disbelief. It is born from the interaction of our perception and our abstraction. It is a label to categorize conceptual thoughts.

If it can't be proven then it's not the truth, though I can't actually prove that. But it can be spread like peanut butter and it tastes good if you're not allergic, transmitted like a disease by a prostitute with an overactive imagination. It is a voluntary state of mind, though sometimes involuntary - depending on the state of the mind in question, as is disbelief believe it or not. It can be born from the interaction of our perception and our abstraction, though just as likely to be stillborn. It is like a sticky label that won't always stick, or a beloved sick cat throwing up a hairball on your pristine rug. Sometimes it's just a stick of gum that won't blow bubbles.

Edited by RGMage2

Truth is just an idea, an absolute -- impossible to be attained in current human conditions; except in an imaginary world, which has to be limited, as in not endless in combinations and dynamically changing contexts. Truth, same as reality, can't be fully perceived, and thus will always be incomplete, at least partially wrong, and so on. Imagine a planet, that is partially in shadow, cannot be seen or perceived by any means. That's why every ideal we have as humans is wrong. Every law we have is imperfect. But unless we can replace them with something better, attacking them, brings the risk of being replaced with something even worse. Everything can be improved and always could be worse, and there are always cons and pros to everything, subjective of course, always it is.

Truth is nice as a theory, but that's it. Like the number 0, that's between 1 and -1, in the middle... but that being endless, there's no middle. Disregard my imperfect examples; the main point is that we are "condemned" to live in a relative universe, and since birth we compare everything to previous experiences, feelings, or even worse, data from teachings and culture "forced" on us from previous generations, many of those accepted by us without ever thinking to verify their veridicalness. Or truth. Or if it's really or not. But even if we would do... the results, the conclusions would be subjective. Thus true or not -- means... nothing. If everything could be frozen in place, including time, and we all would start gathering data about everything, until all of us agrees on every detail... then maybe... but as for today: truth is just very relative and subjective perception of something. Some people have a bigger and better "truth" than most others, but still limited. Trying to discuss and understand each other is the way to improve our "truth" (perception, understanding), and not by forcing it on the "infidels and heretics" (and not just in "religions").

Edited by WhiteShores

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing is true. All "truth" is the human mind's representation of its perception of objective reality. It picks up what it can from the world, and applies symbols and meaning to an otherwise meaningless existence (not that meaning is not important mind you).

Cool that people ask these questions.

Edited by lennykrapitz

To me (and I'm no philosopher), there is just one and unique truth. One and only good anwser for every question. I'm not talking about subjective perspectives or points of views, juste the RIGHT consequence for the RIGHT causes. Truth is, to me still, impossible to reach for human beings most of the time but I guess if we had every tools, informations and capacities we could calculate any form of events or phenomenons that could happen, whether that being in the future, present, or past, since every cause leads to consequences, that will be causes too, etc... Dont call me Merv =p.

(sorry for the shitty english, i'm trying to fix that)