I'd like to donate as anonymous

WhiteShores

I used Nexus for a long time now, and had no Credit Card in the past, so PayPal was not an option either. But now I have a PayPal account and I'd like to donate. Closest to that is buying a Premium account, which would be fine, even if I don't intend to use it, since it's still a contribution even if it's not called donation.

The problem is that there are 3 steps to that, and the first page asks personal information. I have nothing to hide, I'm not a wanted criminal or similar, but since I will pay with PayPal, I don't see why giving that info is necessary. It's not like I will use my Credit Card directly. As an example, I bought today Divinity: Original Sin from gog.com and their page simply redirected to PayPal after I selected the product, at the checkout stage, inserted my login details for PayPal, confirmed the transaction and was done. Never was asked about street address or anything.

I don't blame this site of anything. If this world were not full of tracking and monitoring habits, just for the sake of collecting data, maybe I cared less for privacy. But now I simply feel bad if I accept going where the river flows and not trying to be part of those who oppose this system (not about Nexus, but the whole world). I will wait a bit more before donating, maybe will be possible without giving more data than my username at this site.

I'm grateful for all I received from this site and the people that supported it. I will fight a while with my conscience, sorry that I'm posting this. Maybe, if possible, allow donating as anonymous (regarding personal details), so less people will avoid doing it. If it's not possible (because it is enforced by the law of the state the site resides or similar), then just disregard my post. Many thanks again!

See Dark0ne's response to a similar query here.

Basically, the Nexus eCommerce software requires that there be something in those fields to process a payment. But, depending on the specific payment mechanism, the information you provide to the Nexus doesn't have to be 100% accurate. As Dark0ne said, as long as the country code is correct you can claim your name is Mickey Mouse and you live in Disneyland.

If you're paying via PayPal, for example, you'll be directed to their site and have to authenticate through them to process the payment, so what you tell the Nexus doesn't matter. For some other forms of payment, however, the information you provide must match your real information exactly.

That was my query :)
It's because Nexus uses the same form no matter if Credit Card or PayPal will be used, and thus can't offer more anonymity option.

I will quote my post there:
"Thanks for your answer. As I guessed, it's again the law, which forces us to do such things. Ignorance is bliss, really, at times (as in we would be more happy not being concerned). Gog.com can sell games without asking anything more than an e-mail address used at registering and then redirects to PayPal when buying, but they are the exception. One can at least dream about that becoming the norm one day."
http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/2759549-does-nexus-use-paypal/&do=findComment&comment=24412774

Perhaps you could gift random users thru donations. A gift card, gift to a user thru donation options. Donation requirements do not include user account here, does it?

EDIT: This bypasses the need for your account here and your paypal to coincide. Gift cards. :smile:

EDIT EDIT: OFC, this is assuming anonymity is based around your real bank account.

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to donate and hit the same problem. I don't want to provide false information, but not enter my real life information either. This is a gaming community and I keep separate email addresses and aliases for a reason. I have donated money before/bought premium account services without having to provide sensitive information so it's not a technical impossibility. I am sure I am not the only one taken aback by this feature (as this thread demonstrates) and I won't be donating for now. But I will keep an eye out in case there are any changes as I am happy to provide support to modders and the admins of this website.

In the light of current revelations over the past year or two, I would have to question the ability to have any legal anonymity. Other than if it were the case that the person was supposed to be.

Do not get me wrong though, I personally am wholly in favor of being able to choose whether a recipient knows who donated to them or not.

In the light of current revelations over the past year or two, I would have to question the ability to have any legal anonymity. Other than if it were the case that the person was supposed to be.

Do not get me wrong though, I personally am wholly in favor of being able to choose whether a recipient knows who donated to them or not.

Please understand, the Nexus does not keep your payment information (not even for Premium Subscriptions.) But your payment PROCESSOR (PayPal, etc.) may require your real information to, you know... send your money to someone on on your behalf.

Since the Nexus does not, (and Dark0ne has repeatedly said it will not) hold people's money, the information passed to the receiving party is totally up to your payment processor and the Nexus does not, cannot, and will not, control that.