Help with graphics card.

SkyrimRamsey

Hi!

So I have been modding for some months now and I really want to upgrade my game to ENB/Parallax graphics, so I have decided to purchase a new GPU. Can you help me with what GPU will satisfy my needs?

Is AMD or GeForce the best option for open world games like Skyrim/Witcher/Fallout and such?

These are my specs:

i5 3570K 4.0 GHz (overclocked)
250 GB SSD

16 GB RAM

Rather than asking about AMD or NVIDIA, it's better to compare price-to-performance between both company's GPUs.

For instance, the AMD R9 290X is available for 440$ CAD, where similarly the NVIDIA GTX 970 is available for 390$ CAD. They're both good for Skyrim and, according to The Witcher 3's recommended specs, more than capable for running that game at ultra settings.

Another thing to consider is that the R9 290X has a full 4 GB of VRAM, whereas the GTX 970 was revealed to have 3.5 GB (+ 0.5 GB slower) VRAM. However, the GTX 970 runs on a considerably lower wattage (160 W) than the R9 290X (290 W).

I'd suggest checking out some benchmarks online that compares several newer GPUs, and seeing their prices also (since the variances in pricing in different countries should affect your overall purchases). I have both the GTX 970 and the R9 290X, and honestly the GTX 970 wins for the overall specs.

Edited by ZeroKing

Rather than asking about AMD or NVIDIA, it's better to compare price-to-performance between both company's GPUs.

For instance, the AMD R9 290X is available for 340$ CAD, where similarly the NVIDIA GTX 970 is available for 390$ CAD. They're both good for Skyrim and, according to The Witcher 3's recommended specs, more than capable for running that game at ultra settings.

Another thing to consider is that the R9 290X has a full 4 GB of VRAM, whereas the GTX 970 was revealed to have 3.5 GB (+ 0.5 GB slower) VRAM. However, the GTX 970 runs on a considerably lower wattage (160 W) than the R9 290X (290 W).

I'd suggest checking out some benchmarks online that compares several newer GPUs, and seeing their prices also (since the variances in pricing in different countries should affect your overall purchases). I have both the GTX 970 and the R9 290X, and honestly the GTX 970 wins for the overall specs.

Thanks for the answer, I was thinking more about either GTX 980 or R9 295X2. Which one of those are the best one? They both go for the same price in my country.

Another question as well, should I focus more on gpu, cpu or RAM when it comes to modding with high texture graphics and visuals?

GPU is the deciding factor. For your CPU and RAM, they're just fine.

As well, the GTX 980 is the same price as the R9 295X2 in your country? Wow.

Being honest, CrossFire caused a lot of issues since after the era of the AMD HD 7000 series (I had a pair of AMD HD 7970s and they were amazing). However, as a multi-GPU user myself, I'd usually stay away from CrossFire (I normally stick with a single GPU until a game warrants that I need my SLI active). Since the R9 295X2 is essentially a CrossFire'd GPU, it won't work in all the games. For instance, if you are adamant in using ENB for Skyrim and Fallout, you'd have to use specific profiles in the AMD CrossFire drivers to make it work. SLI and CrossFire have their own problems, like micro-stuttering and lack of supports on certain games (and of course, higher temps and system power usage). I'd advise single GPUs whenever possible.

But if you want raw performance, then the R9 295X2 is definitely the winner. Do remember it comes with its own water-cooling solution in-built.

Edited by ZeroKing

GPU is the deciding factor. For your CPU and RAM, they're just fine.

As well, the GTX 980 is the same price as the R9 295X2 in your country? Wow.

Being honest, CrossFire caused a lot of issues since after the era of the AMD HD 7000 series (I had a pair of AMD HD 7970s and they were amazing). However, as a multi-GPU user myself, I'd usually stay away from CrossFire (I normally stick with a single GPU until a game warrants that I need my SLI active). Since the R9 295X2 is essentially a CrossFire'd GPU, it won't work in all the games. For instance, if you are adamant in using ENB for Skyrim and Fallout, you'd have to use specific profiles in the AMD CrossFire drivers to make it work. SLI and CrossFire have their own problems, like micro-stuttering and lack of supports on certain games. I'd advise single GPUs whenever possible.

But if you want raw performance, then the R9 295X2 is definitely the winner. Do remember it comes with its own water-cooling solution in-built.

That last sentence saved me from so much possible trouble. I dont have a water cooling kit so that GPU is out of the question :smile: Oh well, so a GTX 980 is the way to go then. Is there any specific GTX 980 model you would recommend or are they all the same?

EDIT: Would you chose a GTX 980 4GB or a R9 290X 8GB?

Edited by SkyrimRamsey

As a thermal and wattage freak, the GTX 980 wins for me.

For a price-to-performance ratio purchase, at least in Canada, the R9 290X (both the 4GB and the 8GB) wins (by a rather small advantage).

For raw perfomance, the GTX 980 wins.

However, I'm going with online prices with tech reviews on this one, since I don't have a GTX 980 to compare with my R9 290X.

Edited by ZeroKing

Some other questions to ask before dropping a pile of cash on a new board.

Can your power supply support the upgraded card? Will the new card fit in your case without blocking any needed ports on the Mother board?

Some newer video cards require a lot more power than those included in stock computers, and the stock power supplies are notoriously weak. Many new video boards require extra connections directly to the power supply - usually either 6 or 8 pin molex type connectors - does your existing power supply have those? Sometimes you can use adapters to get the right connectors, but sometimes the Power supply just doesn't have the power to spare. Using a weak power supply can damage the Video card, the Mother board and other components also.

Then newer boards can be taller - a problem if you have a low profile case. Or longer,a problem if there is something in the way in the case. Or wider meaning you lose the use of an adjacent connector, Or all of these. Measure first.

A longer card may also cover some ports at the back of the motherboard making them unusable. Look to see where the ports are in relation to the video card - if they are directly behind the existing card then that may be a problem. Or maybe not, depending on the orientation and what those ports are. You may be able to find right angle plugs that fit under the new card. (another unexpected expense)

Then there is cooling. Hot running video cards may need more cooling than you currently have. And a tight enclosed case may not allow enough air circulation to properly cool it - leading to your computer becoming an expensive paperweight. :pinch:

Some other questions to ask before dropping a pile of cash on a new board.

Can your power supply support the upgraded card? Will the new card fit in your case without blocking any needed ports on the Mother board?

Some newer video cards require a lot more power than those included in stock computers, and the stock power supplies are notoriously weak. Many new video boards require extra connections directly to the power supply - usually either 6 or 8 pin molex type connectors - does your existing power supply have those? Sometimes you can use adapters to get the right connectors, but sometimes the Power supply just doesn't have the power to spare. Using a weak power supply can damage the Video card, the Mother board and other components also.

Then newer boards can be taller - a problem if you have a low profile case. Or longer,a problem if there is something in the way in the case. Or wider meaning you lose the use of an adjacent connector, Or all of these. Measure first.

A longer card may also cover some ports at the back of the motherboard making them unusable. Look to see where the ports are in relation to the video card - if they are directly behind the existing card then that may be a problem. Or maybe not, depending on the orientation and what those ports are. You may be able to find right angle plugs that fit under the new card. (another unexpected expense)

Then there is cooling. Hot running video cards may need more cooling than you currently have. And a tight enclosed case may not allow enough air circulation to properly cool it - leading to your computer becoming an expensive paperweight. :pinch:

Yes to all your questions :smile: I have an AX860 to support both of the choices. Either way, I have decided to skip the R9 259X2 becuase of the massive need of cooling and Watt usage. I have instead decided to go for either a GTX 980 or GTX 970 SLI. According to all Google answers, the GTX 970 SLI is a better purchase. But I want to know which option is best for skyrim modding? Especially when it comes to heavy graphics mod? I will buy the one you are telling me to buy!

EDIT: I have decided to buy the GTX 980 only if it will be able to handle ENB mods with 2k/4k textures and run smoothly at 60 fps all the time. Will this be possible?

Edited by SkyrimRamsey