Steam Service Providers, and some how needing to clarify the Nexus stance again

Dark0ne

In response to post #24636819. #24637264, #24637439, #24637449, #24638189 are all replies on the same post.

Dark0ne wrote:
Noortje wrote: My fear is the same. Companies will all hop on the bandwagon and companies will no longer allow free mods for their games. Modding will be forced into illegality.
Chrono180 wrote: I would like to express my gratitue towards you, Dark0ne, for being able to be a calm and collected head when everything goes into chaos. Regardless of the pros and cons of the concept of paid for mods, it is good to know that you are able to keep yourself collected and help discuss things in a calm and rational matter.

I am sorry about your missing your trip, by the way.
gunslinger6792 wrote: Never doubted you or the nexus. Thanks for the info now please for the love of God get some sleep.
icecreamassassin wrote: I think that modding is such a vital aspect that for Bethesda/Valve to declare them universally pay only after they have deeply rooted themselves as such a community shared concept, would be PR suicide. They would see a wide spread fallout (no pun intended) against their company and the sales of their next product release would PLUMMET so badly. I'm certain that they must be aware of this and would never do something so bold

and good job quoting robins entire main post lol ;)

" And frankly, I think you are insulting the mod authors who have decided to remain free by saying free modding is over. If you believe strongly in this, stick by them, show them your support, endorse their files if you like them, donate to them. That's what this community needs, not a swirling cesspit of vitriolic hatred. " end quote~

Exactly!! This is what I have actually been putting my efforts twords all night, and will continue to do so, without the mods.. skyrim would be frankly boring at this point. I have invested 707 hours into this game not counting the hours I poured into my PS3..

This whole ordeal the last few days has really had me rethinking somethings, It is so easy to get caught up in this whole thing and b&@*$.. but in reality before today I had never once even considered hitting that donation button. Not that I was objected to it, I just never really thought about it untill this happened.

And there are so many people who really deserve that support from us, I for one will not be Buying steam mods, but instead will be supporting those same people here as I can, where I know they will be getting every cent I give to them.

I want to thank you all so much for giving me so many hours of great gameplay and a great community.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #24636819. #24637264, #24637439, #24637449, #24638189, #24638194 are all replies on the same post.

Dark0ne wrote:
Noortje wrote: My fear is the same. Companies will all hop on the bandwagon and companies will no longer allow free mods for their games. Modding will be forced into illegality.
Chrono180 wrote: I would like to express my gratitue towards you, Dark0ne, for being able to be a calm and collected head when everything goes into chaos. Regardless of the pros and cons of the concept of paid for mods, it is good to know that you are able to keep yourself collected and help discuss things in a calm and rational matter.

I am sorry about your missing your trip, by the way.
gunslinger6792 wrote: Never doubted you or the nexus. Thanks for the info now please for the love of God get some sleep.
icecreamassassin wrote: I think that modding is such a vital aspect that for Bethesda/Valve to declare them universally pay only after they have deeply rooted themselves as such a community shared concept, would be PR suicide. They would see a wide spread fallout (no pun intended) against their company and the sales of their next product release would PLUMMET so badly. I'm certain that they must be aware of this and would never do something so bold

and good job quoting robin's entire main post lol ;)
jad31te wrote: " And frankly, I think you are insulting the mod authors who have decided to remain free by saying free modding is over. If you believe strongly in this, stick by them, show them your support, endorse their files if you like them, donate to them. That's what this community needs, not a swirling cesspit of vitriolic hatred. " end quote~

Exactly!! This is what I have actually been putting my efforts twords all night, and will continue to do so, without the mods.. skyrim would be frankly boring at this point. I have invested 707 hours into this game not counting the hours I poured into my PS3..

This whole ordeal the last few days has really had me rethinking somethings, It is so easy to get caught up in this whole thing and b&@*$.. but in reality before today I had never once even considered hitting that donation button. Not that I was objected to it, I just never really thought about it untill this happened.

And there are so many people who really deserve that support from us, I for one will not be Buying steam mods, but instead will be supporting those same people here as I can, where I know they will be getting every cent I give to them.

I want to thank you all so much for giving me so many hours of great gameplay and a great community.

Thank you for this information Dark0ne, I much appreciate your open and clear statement and arguments.
I'm not a modder, even I'm running three sites with content from gaming experiences and my own translations I'ld like to share for free to the community.

For me you mentioned three major points to me:
1. Getting paid for a mod, people expecting support for the mod from the modder. I'm not sure if this will be clear to all modder using the paid version of publishing their work.
2. It should be fine if a modder select a service provider to benefit for the platform the modder already benefit in the past. And a platform which shares the revenues with the users to improve the platform is a good choice of donation in my point of view.
3. Finally it is up to the modder what will be used as a platform to distribute the work. At this point, I remember your point, to implement a feature to point out to people during the download process about the donation option. And saying this, I recognized a lot of modders which mods I'm using (currently 305 active mods for Skyrim) that they actively disabled this option on their mod page.... !

Hopefully everybody calm down and we can keep on enjoying all of the mostly great work which has been published here.

Just my 2 cents.

The only consideration I have, and it's not about the situation in general, is if I want to keep my load of mods updated and therefor I would have to pay for them, then it's a crazy load of money. Don't get me wrong I'm not against the fact that mod authors should be recognized. I think it's a great think like donation. However, I am use to play with over 150 mods at least...the idea to pay at least 1 USD for each in order to keep them up to date is a bit...scary. :P Edited by RussellCrowe4021

Having some "Legal" experience from my past jobs and current one (entertainment industry) I was able to 'read between the lines' of the aforementioned agreements and knew enough to figure it out. I was right Robin with your latest blog about what I thought. Look, I know people are throwing blame around like dung...everywhere. And I know some of us have had issues here at Nexus (slight) but in the end, my allegiance is with you. Thanks for all you do. Now....go to SPAIN!!!