Skyrim, NMM, The removal of mods from the site and breaking your saves.

smoky0mcpot

Hello everyone i am not trying to scare or spread panic with this topic i am simply asking a question about the NMM and the automatic removal of mods.

Is the nexus mod manager able to remove mods from your list ( that have been removed from the site ) without notifying you when you open it or check for mod updates as i think i have noticed some mods missing from my list in the past but don't know why they are missing. With over 235 mods ( some from other sites ) it can be very hard to notice but i know that i have had certain mods in the past and now no longer have them and cannot find them for download and it's not because i have removed them myself.

I DO NOT want to open the nmm again until i know all the mods i have are safe and i won't end up with a broken save game with over 1000 hours on it.

The only reason i am asking this question now is because of the recent events involving steam/bethesda and the possible removal of major mods ether because some moders are scared that there work could be stolen ( And i completely understand ) or because others have sold out.

The NMM does not have the capability to automatically remove mods that are removed from the Nexus - or from your computer that you have downloaded from NMM. Once you have downloaded a mod from NMM, it will stay on your computer until YOU remove it. I have several older mods that are no longer available on the Nexus and they still work.

If you are that paranoid, instead

Download the mods manually.

Save the downloaded files to a folder you specify outside of the NMM folders.

Then use the NMM to install from a file - the original downloaded file will never be touched by NMM

Yes it could, if a mod gets pulled from the workshop it will get uninstalled next time you log into steam.

You know, I have to actually wonder about that.

For example, I've bought a game through steam that is no longer available on steam to purchase, however I still have access to that game to re-download it and play it anytime I like.

So, now with "pay for mods", you've paid Steam (not the modder since your payment goes through steam) for a mod, if Steam has to take down that mod for let's say "stolen IP" then they either have to refund the consumer or the consumers that already bought it have the right to continue to use it. I'd be interested to know for fact that a mod that I've installed through Steam that gets removed from the workshop actually makes Steam force uninstall that mod that's already been installed. I have serious doubts that happens unless you uninstall your game in which case you've basically wiped out that mod if it's someplace that Steam uninstalls from.

If a non payed mod gets removed, it gets uninstalled. However, once you, as a mod author, ask money for your mod you basically sign a contract where you can never remove your mod from steam. The only thing you can do is have it no longer be sold, but it will remain on steam forever for the people that already bought it. In the case of copyright infringement the mod won't get removed unless you can prove the mod is actually yours, which is pretty much impossible for most mods. Remember, once you upload your mod for money, Valve and Bethesda become major shareholders, and they won't agree to refunding and taking down your mod unless there is a very good reason. For example Chesko's mods won't get taken down because his only reason is that he changed his mind. They simply won't be find-able for people that didn't already buy it anymore.

Edited by Noortje

Yes it could, if a mod gets pulled from the workshop it will get uninstalled next time you log into steam.

You know, I have to actually wonder about that.

For example, I've bought a game through steam that is no longer available on steam to purchase, however I still have access to that game to re-download it and play it anytime I like.

So, now with "pay for mods", you've paid Steam (not the modder since your payment goes through steam) for a mod, if Steam has to take down that mod for let's say "stolen IP" then they either have to refund the consumer or the consumers that already bought it have the right to continue to use it. I'd be interested to know for fact that a mod that I've installed through Steam that gets removed from the workshop actually makes Steam force uninstall that mod that's already been installed. I have serious doubts that happens unless you uninstall your game in which case you've basically wiped out that mod if it's someplace that Steam uninstalls from.

Not sure about the pay mods, but historically, if you downloaded a mod from the workshop and then unsubscribed later, it would be removed from your load order, but the file would still be in your data folder. I know because I have done that, I unsubscribed and all I had to do was re-tick the box in NMM and I was good to go.

I suppose if you are worried about it, just make a copy of the .esp/.bsa files and save them elsewhere, then unsubscribe and copy them back if neccesary.