Companions search an area? Ideas?

45AARP

I've been wanting a mod that lets followers have a dialogue option or hotkey or something similar to "search" the area for enemies, and maybe even check containers for anything above a certain value and loot it as well. It would mainly be used for interiors, although it could have it's uses outdoors as well. Choosing between running or walking could also be a nice addition.

I'm up for trying to create it myself, but I've got almost no scripting ability outside of modifying variables in an already established script, and I'm sure it would require at least a mild amount of scripting.

I figure possible ways to do it would be using a script to add a "waypoint" (or however New Vegas handles NPC movement from town to town) to a variable distance (idea below), or attaching a waypoint to a container that is within the loaded grids, or perhaps even another NPC in the area (to ensure the waypoint does not end up behind walls, etc). It could also update to another waypoint after that one has been reached to allow a constant search of the area until the player chooses to end the follower's search.

Perhaps also configurable distance searches via dialogue?

"search, but stay close"

"search area over medium distance"

"search area over long distance"

Anyone have any ideas or interest?

Use scanner to detect all enemies in area, then place a marker near target you found and make special package for companion to go over that marker. (travel package).

Nina dog companion has same feature, you can google for "fallout nina follower" should be in the first 5 results.

To configure how close NPC stay you can use "gamemode" script with "GetDIstance". If Distance is more than N - remove package from follower. so he returns to player.

Edited by tomm434