What do you all think? We getting another broken featured, incomplete

JacobLumet

Would be nice if beth said thanks to the modding comunity. Just on some interview some guy representing bethesda saying that they thank the modding community for all their efforts would make every modder out there feel more valued

I would to be honest not be very sad if they left the engine alone and still had CS style modding tool. I mean it would mean every single modder out there learned everything they did just to know that they can not use their skills on a new game would suck. A LOT!

I'm thinking either:

A) This game will be a minimalistic improvement over Oblivion because it has a production period of only three years (the shortest yet!!).

...or...

B) They rebuilt the construction set so intuitively and so well, that an enormous amount of time (which otherwise would have been spent putting things in place) has been shaved off. I think this is the more likely explanation. If I were a developer, there's no way I would submit myself to such ongoing tedium again, not when I could spend more time designing the game.

...or...

C) An ambiguous combination of the above, possibly. The developers completely skimp on changing some important areas of gameplay while cleverly revolutionizing others in ways that stand out. And we all get a better construction set.

Edited by Jermungand

Would be nice if beth said thanks to the modding comunity. Just on some interview some guy representing bethesda saying that they thank the modding community for all their efforts would make every modder out there feel more valued

Well, from GameInformer's article about The Elder Scrolls:

"To this day, I think what the modders have done with those tools has helped define the series." – Todd Howard

Seems like a thank you to me! :D

I'm thinking either:

A) This game will be a minimalistic improvement over Oblivion because it has a production period of only three years (the shortest yet!!).

i wonder where you're getting 3 years from, since todd said they started after oblivion was done....

hector530, remember the article about the Eurogamer journalist? A few weeks before Skyrim was announced, Bethesda revealed to this guy that they'd been quietly working on a new game for the last two years. Together with the time remaining before Skyrim's release, that makes less than three years.

They didn't get to work on Skyrim right after Oblivion, they had to make Fallout 3.

Edited by Jermungand

I was on the bethesda forums and i can defenitily say that the moderators there are one of the most closed minded people, they banned me because i said the word torrents on a thread, and i can definitly say that the fans there are really closed minded too, they just expect an oblivion two without the leveling system or a Morrowind two with some modifications, i proposed many ideas that can make the game better, but there were always these guys who were just saying no because the lore wont allow it, i was telling them that do you believe that if the technology will make it possible to be in the game they wont do it? there was one who even believed that the lore is something that actually keeps the game back but it doesnt matter as long as it is faithfull to it, my hope is that they will make a completely different game without all these flaws Oblivion has because they were too many and i dont care about the lore as long as it looks as a real rpg

I'm thinking either:

i wonder where you're getting 3 years from, since todd said they started after oblivion was done....

hector530, remember the article about the Eurogamer journalist? A few weeks before Skyrim was announced, Bethesda revealed to this guy that they'd been quietly working on a new game for the last two years. Together with the time remaining before Skyrim's release, that makes less than three years.

They didn't get to work on Skyrim right after Oblivion, they had to make Fallout 3.

i guess the official Bethesda podcast lies then. also theres no way eurogamer broke the news about skyrim. just no way it did. since there was no news about TES 5 till the VGAs even though everyone knew it was being made kinda like SC 2 they never said they were working on it but we all knew they were.

I just listened to the podcast. That is pleasing to hear.

This Eurogamer article says it's been in development for two years: My link

This went all over the internet a little while before the game was officially announced. You could Google "Elder Scrolls 5" and this very same article would appear in the search results on a hundred websites. It still would if it hadn't been outshone by the actual announcement of the game, which now occupies the better part of your search results.

It may be that the team's been designing it all this time, but only started taking it off the paper and turning it into reality two years ago. It's also very possible that all the waiting has made me too bitter, and that my opinion may carry some negative bias. That said, we knew there was going to be a TESV, but that doesn't mean we knew they were working on it this whole time. That was just wishful thinking, even if it was correct.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I think Bethesda's have already shown a good amount of gratitude towards the modding community by simply bothering to still have construction sets and tutorial pages. In this day and age, were we're expected to buy the game and keep our mouths shut, it's nice to see one game publisher that's prepared to give the player's some free reign at least. I mean, what more should we expect? Furthermore, why is it such a bad thing that they incorporate good ideas from the modding community into the vanilla game?

The most we can hope for is a little "Thank all of you modders who have kept the Elder Scroll series alive for all these years"-line in the credits roll. We're not entitled to whatever recognition we have, it's a privilidge.