Staffs as spell-enhancing equipment for mages.

ccjmk

Hi all!
I just wanted to share an idea I just had; maybe some modder likes it and considers it workable:
Currently staves are mostly used for non-magic users to be able to cast some spell without needing the magicka / perks / learning required, but for mages it's usually better to just double-cast spells. My idea tries to address this making spells a valuable (almost required equipment) for any serious caster:
Basically, tiered staffs for each school of magic should exist, and be able to be equipped-over with a spell (this is, equipping a spell should not un-equip the staff). Using that hand (AKA casting with that staff) should cast the spell equipped over it. Staffs from each school should make spells from that school stronger, if cast with it. Probably 1-handed, so they can be dual-wielded or used with a shield / off-hand weapon / "hands-free spell" (as in vanilla). Using spells with staffs WILL gain experience on the corresponding skill.
In detail:
*Add 5 new staffs, one for school (Destruction, Restoration, Illusion, Conjuration & Alteration).
*Each of these staffs will be one-handed (allowing for using with a shield or off-hand spell/weapon)
*If no off-hand / weapon / shield is used, you can block with the staff similarly to blocking with a sword without a shield or with a two-handed weapon.
*Each staff will have 5-tier versions (pine < ash < maple < oak < yew, similar to how regular weapons scale from one metal to another)
*Each staff will NOT have charges, and instead will make spells from the staff's school of magic +5/10/15/20/25% more powerful (for example, a Pine Staff of Illusion will make Illusion spells 5% stronger, and a Yew Staff of Destruction will make Destruction spells 25% stronger (this are rough numbers, can be tweaked up/down for balance)
*You can equip a staff on one hand, and a spell on the same hand. When you use that hand, you will cast the spell you have on that hand (using staff cast animation).
*If you have a spell from one school on the same hand than an off-school spell (like casting fireball on the right hand while having a Pine Staff of Restoration in that hand), you will cast the spell with the staff, but it will not have any bonus (regardless of you having the correct staff on the other hand)

*Casting spells with a staff will grant experience to that spell's skill.
*Double casting allowed with no staff on both hands or a staff on both hands.
*Dual-wielding two staffs from the same school probably shouldn't stack their effects.
*Current Staff of #spell# will still exist, working as in vanilla.
I'd love to further discuss and tune-up this idea, hopefully someone finds it mod-worthy.
-ccjmk
Edited by ccjmk