I`m fed up with Steam and it forums

roofiodude

Deleted posts related to paid mod concerns in the forums, inofficial moderators harassing steamusers for critiquing aspects of valves business policies and so forth. I`m really fed up with steam. I used to love this platform, but now... JFC!!!!

The "broken" review system that "will be fixed soon", Early Access and Greenlight and its countless problems (Gabe at reddit AMA: "Yes it`s a soire point, we are working on robust long term solutions here at valve, it takes time") My ass.

The steamshop frontpage being flooded with low quality content. The Steam cards scam *cough* feature... Oh and the paid mod nonsense: "bringing quality content to gaming". By adding no quality control, no support and no anti-piracy measures. And taking initial 400$ plus 75%. Sure.

I reached the point where I`m thinking of putting just some shortcuts onto my desktop and set steam offline permanently, as I used to do years ago.

I mean, the only reason steam got onto my hard drive was Fallout New Vegas and its Steam DRM. Also: when Borderlands 2 was released on steam for 50€ I thought, I can get the game for the same price at the next shop. So I went to Media Markt (local store where I live) and got the game for 44€. And not only the normal version but the special edition. Similar story with X-COM. I`m so pissed off right now.

Or am I just a stupid a**hole sitting in front of his PC at home, overreacting?

Edited by roofiodude

Or am I just a stupid a**hole sitting in front of his PC at home, overreacting?

Overreacting, maybe. Asshole? No.

Take a few moments to yourself before posting, you'll be ok. Just be sure what you say can have a response that you can answer to. ;) Take it from a guy that learned the hard way.

If things get to you on forums, go outside...play frisbee with yer neighbors or your children. Breath. Come back when your head is on your own shoulders. ;) Its all relative, just breath, my friend. ;)

Legit beefs really. It's why I'm buying more and more stuff from GoG.com instead these days. No DRM hassles that way. You get your games with none of the crap piled on top of them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wish Steam would do a "lite" version.

Its only purpose is DRM and I don't need or want or use the forums or the achievements or the friends or all the other useless crap Steam offers for no purpose other than to justify its existence. Even the "sales" are mostly rip offs and if one looks the games are offered at other locations for better prices.

The actual steam sale is a bad joke, Fallout3 GOTY for 11,99€ lol I saw F3 GOTY now for years in my local shops here in my town for 9,99€. Okay they`ve put up refund, which is great. Valve has finally decided to catch up. How awesome they suck less.

Thanks Valve, I finally realized through your paid mod mess how f***ed up the industrie is. When someone like Jim Sterling visits GDC and sees more than half a dozen panels with topics from `how to avoid consumer backlash` to `How to milk whales( ~F2P-addicted)`, you truly understand the tone within the industry.

And when a PR-shithead from EA defends their mobile version of Dungeon Keeper, which I rank slightly above child abuse, with the words:" It was probably ahead of its time." You can translate this from bullshitbusiness english into actual english:"The player today is still used to some quality and non-scam content. We underestimated this."

At least GOG is bringing some contest to the online distribution market. The point is: I`m getting less and less excited about new games and games overall. I´ve started with C64, Schneider CPC 464 with magnetic tapes, Atari, Amiga, NES, PC and so fourth... so you can see I`ve been like so many others very passionate about this hobby for a looong time; but the question pops up in my head: "Why am I doing this to myself?"

I guess because it`s fun. Like ramming a fork into the back of my hand over and over again.

Edited by roofiodude

• 5 months later...

Personally I stand can't Steam. The problem is that the gaming community has accepted this insidious software and Steam doesn't care because they pretty much have a monopoly. You want to play? Steam asks you first to get on your knees... I don't visit or use the Steam Forums. Anything you say or do, can be held against you,..or rather your account/games. It seems to be no way to turn Steam off in a game. And that's what bothers me, Steam always runs in the background, no matter what you do. There is no need for it to do that unless they are gathering information / etc.

Personally I stand can't Steam. The problem is that the gaming community has accepted this insidious software and Steam doesn't care because they pretty much have a monopoly. You want to play? Steam asks you first to get on your knees... I don't visit or use the Steam Forums. Anything you say or do, can be held against you,..or rather your account/games. It seems to be no way to turn Steam off in a game. And that's what bothers me, Steam always runs in the background, no matter what you do. There is no need for it to do that unless they are gathering information / etc.

It is the same here so be careful. The admin can go into your PMs and read them and ban you if they read anything they deem to break their rules. They can also ban you if they see ported clothing and armour in your pics.

As far as your other concern, after registering your legal copy of FOV and TESV theoretically you can remove the dependency but I believe that is illegal. Somewhere and sometime when you registered your account with Steam you agreed to certain terms. So legally I believe you have to keep it running in the background when you play those games.