File bug reporting system and image uploading updates

Dark0ne

Bug reports

Mods having bugs in them is nothing new. If you've used or released at least a few mods in your time you'll have come across certain "features" in the mod that probably aren't supposed to be and weren't intended to be there.

Up until now if you came across a bug in a mod you'd have to report it either in the file's comments or as a private message to the author of the mod themselves. Very few mod authors have set up their own bug reporting systems on their own hosting solutions for reporting bugs on their files.

Today we've released a first edition of a new bug reporting system on Nexus file pages. This system is opt-in, which means if you want to make use of it on your file pages you need to go to "Edit Attributes" on your files and then set "Allow users to add bug reports about your file" to "Yes" under "User Permissions". The bug reporting system will then be turned on for your file page. You don't need to turn on or use this new system if you don't want to and you can turn it off at any time.

The bug reporting system creates a new tab on your file page and from this tab users can post new bug reports to the system and mod authors can respond to and control the contents of the bug reporting system, which works in a similar way to the commenting system. You can specify the status of the bug (being looked at, known issue, duplicate issue, solved) and the priority of the bug report in relation to all the others (low, medium or high) as well as removing the bug if it isn't relevant.

Either you or the user can decide to set the bug report to "private" if you'd like to keep it just between the two of you, which might be handy if you need to share information about your setup that you don't want other people to be able to see.

Mod authors can also manage and move bug reports made in the file comments into the bug reporting system. This will help to keep your file comment system more tidy while providing obvious signs that you've recognised what the user has commented on is a bug with a link to the bug report in question.

This is our first go at the bug reporting system so we're happy to listen to constructive feedback on ways to improve it for you.

Changes to the file image uploading system

This has been a much requested feature over the past few months. We've now updated the file image uploading system to allow you to upload as many images as you want without having to reload the page every 5 images. We've even set it up so you can drag and drop one or more images straight from your hard-drive to the box on the website to save you some time.

We are still aware of and working on fixing the issue with images displaying as broken for the first 10 minutes or so after you upload new images to the site. It's to do with our caching system on our static content servers. All 8 of them.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great feature!

Bug reports

Mod authors can also manage and move bug reports made in the file comments into the bug reporting system. This will help to keep your file comment system more tidy while providing obvious signs that you've recognised what the user has commented on is a bug with a link to the bug report in question.

I tried this, but the item in the comment thread remains. You say "move", should it automatically move the bug thread+replies or should I hide/delete the comments myself? Because as far as I can tell they're copied.

I would like to request to extra bug "statuses" - "Not a bug" and "Unable to reproduce" for I hope obvious reasons.

edit: Also, after my test I deleted the bug report but the "open the bug report" link remains; not sure if that will sort itself out over time like the images.

edit2: also also, can we change the name "bug" to "spontaneous extra fun feature"? :P

Oh thank you! I have tried setting up separate forum threads on my mods to report bugs in, but no one ever used it. Fingers crossed that this will work.