Am I the only person who DOESN'T use the Mod managers?

Legendary4kh

For Skyrim I've been using MO for three months now. Pure bliss. You get to see exactly which mod does what in terms of conflicts (overwrite/overwritten) and it's really great to be able to make multiple profiles which enable you to activate different sets of mods from the list of installed mods. Great for trying out new mods and managing the amount that are activated.

I feel like it's "manual installation+", 'cause I can still manually edit files in their respective folders like I used to in my conventional Skyrim install, except with a lot better overview. Plus, it's super easy to swap files by making a new folder which overwrites the files you wanna swap out for and that is without actually overwriting anything at all. For instance, I tend to swap my character textures around a lot and experiment with them. I'd have to move the files around a lot, keeping track by using folders located deep in my install. Now I just make a new folder for it and let it do a virtual overwrite which I can turn on/off with just one click. Saves a lot of time.

I could go on for a while, but I honestly found nothing better than MO for Skyrim. Really easy to use, saves a lot of time as I don't have to keep a record of all the changes I make (they're visible in the list) and zero issues ever.

Edited by Seren4XX

• 2 weeks later...

I've used mod mananger for skyrim a few times. the extreme complex mods with loads of options. i just mod manage. but i've been manually installing for years. unzip. install to data folder. done. although i gotta say i moved my entire data folder to an unknown location once. a slip up that took me hours to fix. that was fun.

I package mods myself and remove all the fluff, pack assets into bsa's (with FOMM because BSAopt is buggy), and I install stuff with FOMM. Can I do it manually? Sure, but I don't want to sit there with better file attributes for hours setting time date stamps for my load order, I spend enough time in xEdit making sure everything plays nice.

Usually I end up cleaning the mods and fixing bugs in them, finalizing navmeshes, hell I've even navmeshed or renavmeshed part of mods, rewritten scripts, etc etc... but then again I'm an author so I know how to do that stuff pretty well by now. I spend more time modding my game then playing it by far! :D

honestly i like the Conviniance of the MOd Installers out there to manage and Simplify things when i need to just get in and Go But For the More Detail Oriented Mods Especially those with Bad or Mixed Reviews on the Nexus i tend to actually take the Extra time and Effort to Sift throught the Files and Directories Myself before inserting them in game usually Cuts Down on Errors In Game however I do like the Mod Organisers Abillitys with sorting my load orders and Being Alot more Comprehensive than Vanilla lists.

• 2 weeks later...

I only use them for ordering, everything else I do manually, I like to know exactly what is going where.

This.

How do you even manage load order without? With BOSS/LOOT?

it is actually possible to correct a load order in the launcher but its difficult as all hell i did it back in morrowind and oblivion before Nmm. i never used OBMM i entered the Mod manager scene with Fallout 3 and the FOMM then the NMM upon release of skyrim but i always did manual installs. i never knew about BOSS either untill Skyrim where in i had an issue that i just couldnt solve myself and ran across BOSS as a posible solution.