Skyrim Society

Jermungand

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope they ditch the whole guard/jail angle and use factions instead. Makes more sense for remote areas to rely on themselves, with maybe only the one big population center having something like a police force.

That just sounds like enforced anarchy. If you just have to pay a fine or go to jail for a few days, it's enforced anarchy in a system designed to favor the rich.

There will be guards, but lucky for us, they will be drunk most of the time and rarely exit their barracks and I'm pretty sure that those less fortunate that will run into a sober guard will be able to bride him.

Beware of nord swears tough, they stink of alcohol. :thumbsup:

Edited by Pushkatu

A faction system would add greatly to the levels and layers of game play. However, to say that going out and settling things with steel was how they did it in Nordic cultures is very much over-simplifying things. Duels, as we think of them, were certainly not the general way of settling one's business. Escalating factional warfare was more common, as all the sagas will testify.

That said, it still wasn't as simple as kill them and you're done with it. Weregild had to be paid for all slain people, whether slave or free man. Also, redresses could (and would) be brought up at the Thing, the meeting where all the men and leaders got together to decide all the big affairs. There, it wasn't only how many were on your side (which was the greatest factor in factional warfare) but how well you knew the law, and Icelandic law wasn't written down. It was spoken at the Thing, once a year, so your ability to wage your lawsuit was directly proportional to how smart you were, how well you could put forth your case by citing the law as you knew it.

Getting rid of the guards and adopting an Icelandic system would be a HUGE bonus to the game, and cement it for eternity (or at least a very long time) in the Hall of Remembered Games.

@WizardOfAtlantis

Good points, and a new crime system would be a nice change. If the player gets enough 'outlaw points' people will refuse to deal with him until wereguild/restitution is paid. Hello and Goodbye statements could reflect the players status. Vendors could refuse to sell to the player (just like the Fighter's Guild won't accept players with bounties). It would be simple enough to script and add a lot to immersion.

It's only based on Nordic Culture and society - it's not a copy...

Therefore, it's not bound to be exactly like it was in real life, as Bethesda will try to make their own version of Nordic culture. (Well, they already have)

And like someone said, Skaal Village has guards, and it's a fully Nordic village, so I think we will find guards in Skyrim as well. :)

(More people to kill for those who likes to raid villages^^)

It's only based on Nordic Culture and society - it's not a copy...

Therefore, it's not bound to be exactly like it was in real life, as Bethesda will try to make their own version of Nordic culture. (Well, they already have)

And like someone said, Skaal Village has guards, and it's a fully Nordic village, so I think we will find guards in Skyrim as well. :)

(More people to kill for those who likes to raid villages^^)

A Norwegien village under Roman control will have Roman law, a Nord village under Imperial control... Imperial law.

If the empire dissolves in Skyrim, I think it's safe to say there will be factional gaurds but no overarching police force like in Oblivion. Maybe you join a faction and they let you steal "over there" as long as you don't steal "over here". The people "over there" won't like it, but you can always come back "over here". They could double the villages in the game but really only make it possible to be "welcomed" in half of them, with a quarter being hostile but allowing you to do basic things in them, and a quarter being the equivalent of dungeons that you can raid and kill to your hearts delight. Play again and maybe this time you can side with someone else and raid your old "friendly" villages. This would make replayability go through the roof!

Maybe we will get lucky and there won't be any Imperial Guards. Isn't this taking place 200 years after TES IV? With the Emperor dead at the end of Oblivion, a lot of things could change in 200 years. Perhaps Imperial society's fallen into a hard patch, or is slinking into oblivion (no pun intended), and maybe the Nords have revolted. I personally don't think it will be the case, but I would like to be surprised.

What if the no-guards variant would include the people in the town seeing us do illegal stuff and call on some big Nordic bruisers who quickly arrive, beat us up, and take our stuff back to the main town's hall. That would kind of be a compromise with some of the same game mechanics (except the buy-your-way-out-of-it option).

Of course, the game will be the way it already is. However, someone could always make a mod...Somebody's Nordic Guards Overhaul or something like that. :yes: