Heavy Traffic ×

Skyrim Society

Jermungand

What, you mean no guards???

Yes, that's exactly what I mean. No guards.

In the Morrowind manual it even says, "violence is an accepted part of Nord culture," so it's clear that Bethesda is aware of this knowledge.

apparently there will be "duels" for people to settle their differences so I'm sure they will have guards and you will just be able to challenge someone

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What, you mean no guards???

Yes, that's exactly what I mean. No guards.

In the Morrowind manual it even says, "violence is an accepted part of Nord culture," so it's clear that Bethesda is aware of this knowledge.

apparently there will be "duels" for people to settle their differences so I'm sure they will have guards and you will just be able to challenge someone

Are you saying that I implied there were going to be duels (I didn't mean to imply there were going to be duels, though there COULD be), or did some exterior source of released information tell you there would be duels?

I like duels (though it sounds rather with a Renaissance smell if you say it in a different tone :biggrin: )

I think there would still be guards, though, considering Skyrim now belongs to the empire built by the Imperials. It'd be strange if there's no strong cultural traits of the Imperials such as the guards posted in the cities. But I agree that the law would be kind of loose, ha ha

well, i'm a Norwegian, and we learn about vikings all through school, the truth is that there were a "leader" in each settlement (loose term because there was much differance in the nordic sosiety) and he would be respected by the people in that settlement and people would in most cases try to kill you if HE said so.

But if you go to a far away settlement they will not know what you did in the other, and in most cases they would care, maybe even like you because of it, if they don't like the people in that first settlement.

The viking society was one of the most weathered and harsh societies known to man, brute force decided much but they were smart to! Wartactics and craftsmanship were some of their strongest sides

no dreg vi tellj sjøs karar! <---- (that's norse) :D ^^

So in Skyrim i would love it if you had one cheiftan that decides over that area/villiage and the biggest men in those areas would act as guards when needed, but still be just one of the villiagers when no guards are needed

Companion Vilja is a nord, we could ask her?

Honestly as long as the guards or bruisers in one village dunno what I did to the next, it'll be a step up. I hardly believe theres a scout going to run from one settlement to another to tell Every guard I accidently stole some pewter mug. It was on the floor and I was helping! HONEST!

I like the idea of village/settlement control over themselves. There would have to be some type of punishment system tho. even if it's just "Bjork is gunna rip of yer arms now!"

All right, arntey! I can't resist any longer. What does that mean? http://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/biggrin.gif

Directly: Now we go to the sea guys!

All right, arntey! I can't resist any longer. What does that mean? http://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/biggrin.gif

Directly: Now we go to the sea guys!

what he said, but i have to admit, that was at the very end of the viking era, (oddly i cant find any norse runes on my keyboard) :wallbash:

well i just have to admit that i can't write real old Norse, the word "AND" forexample could men two comleately different things in their order in the sentence and pronounciation meant everything in "Norrønt" or Norse as you would know it

Edited by arntey

Thank you, my Northern brothers. So what actually is "Norse", as we would know it?

I was under the impression that Norse was effectively/mostly modern Icelandic, but with a few changes.

Edited by WizardOfAtlantis