Skyrim crashing on Quickload and Death Load

vrag98

First of all note that this isn't a typical CTD from loading into the game, I never crash on start up and have tried numerous supposed fixes and Memory Patches

Just as the topic says, I've been plagued by this bug every time I decide to start modding Skyrim again and I have never been able to find a solution online. When my character is killed in combat or attempts to Quickload my Skyrim client almost always crashes before the load screen even gets a chance to show up, trying to quickly load a previous save before the auto load sometimes works but most of the time it doesn't. I have tried resetting to default .ini files, disabling steam cloud saving, removing ENB files, cleaning load orders (with multiple different load order managers), manually cleaning the %appdata% .txt files and disabling every mod individually using the "player.kill" command to test. I have even tried running the game without SKSE (Latest / BETA Build) to see if conflicting scripts were an issue.

This has been a persistent problem since the last time I installed Skyrim on this PC, and my ideas for troubleshooting the issue are dwindling. :sad:

I guess now that I disabled Steam Cloud I should probably run a save cleaner again just in case.

------------------------------------

If you need any additional just ask, I'll try to the best of my ability to provide it.

Installation Info:

After running LOOT and Boss the only warnings I get are,

• Update.esm
    CRC: E5B67BDA
    C.Location, Delev, Invent, Relev

Warning: Contains 92 ITM records and 3 UDR records. Clean with TES5Edit.

• Dawnguard.esm
    CRC: BD72CCF3
    C.Location, Delev, Graphics, Invent, Names, Sound

Warning: Contains 619 ITM records, 82 UDR records and 57 deleted navmeshes. Clean with TES5Edit.

• HearthFires.esm
    CRC: AF82CE6A
    C.Location, Graphics, Invent

Warning: Contains 184 ITM records, 11 UDR records and 5 deleted navmeshes. Clean with TES5Edit.

• Dragonborn.esm
    CRC: A9F83BFF
    C.Location, Graphics, Invent, Names

Warning: Contains 61 ITM records, 8 UDR records and 1 deleted navmeshes. Clean with TES5Edit.

• SFO - Expanded Diversity.esp
    CRC: 2A0F1313

Warning: Contains 39 ITM records and 54 UDR records. Clean with TES5Edit.

• Cloaks.esp
    CRC: D8F94C02

Warning: Contains 2 ITM records. Clean with TES5Edit.

• TheEyesOfBeauty.esp
    CRC: F84DC756
    Version: 9

Warning: Contains 2 ITM records. Clean with TES5Edit.

Load Order:

Skyrim.esm
Update.esm
Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp
Dawnguard.esm
HearthFires.esm
Dragonborn.esm
ApachiiHair.esm
ApachiiHairFemales.esm
ApachiiHairMales.esm
ClimatesOfTamriel.esm
DynamicLoot.esm
Nock2Tip.esm
RSkyrimChildren.esm
Weapons & Armor Fixes_Remade.esp
ELE-Weathers.esp
RevampedExteriorFog.esp
BrighterTorchesBiggerMagelight.esp
AMatterOfTime.esp
Dual Sheath Redux.esp
EpisodeParallax.esp
Skyrim Flora Overhaul.esp
WetandCold.esp
Character Creation Overhaul.esp
RaceMenu.esp
RaceMenuPlugin.esp
SkyUI.esp
AHZmoreHUD.esp
iHUD.esp
Cloaks.esp
DynamicLoot_DB.esp
DynamicLoot_DG.esp
Glass Variants.esp
Hothtrooper44_Armor_Ecksstra.esp
Hothtrooper44_ArmorCompilation.esp
Immersive Weapons.esp
DeadlyDragons.esp
SkyRe_Main.esp
SkyRe_Combat.esp
SkyRe_EncounterZones.esp
SkyRe_EnemyAI.esp
SkyRe_EnemyScaling.esp
SkyRe_StandingStones.esp
Breezehome_Fully_Upgradable.esp
whiteruntrees.esp
HelmetToggle2.02b.esp
SFO - Expanded Diversity.esp
dD - Enhanced Blood Main.esp
dD-Dragonborn-Dawnguard-EBT Patch.esp
dD-Larger Splatter Size.esp
aMidianborn_Skyforge_Weapons.esp
Tamriel Reloaded.esp
DeadlySpellImpacts.esp
FNISspells.esp
Animated Enchantments.esp
TheEyesOfBeauty.esp
BHWarPaints.esp
3DNPC.esp
Bijin Warmaidens.esp
FCO - Follower Commentary Overhaul.esp
Alternate Start - Live Another Life.esp
dD - Realistic Ragdoll Force - Reduced.esp
NormalVampireFaces.esp
SkyRe_Races.esp
Dual Sheath Redux Patch.esp
Pre ReProccer WAFR IA7 IW Patch.esp
ReProccer.esp
Hair Physics Project.esp
chfshPlayerVoicesets.esp
Fantasy Soundtrack Project.esp
FSP - Dawnguard Edition.esp
FSP - Dragonborn Edition.esp
HDT Capes.esp
HDT Female Hairstyles.esp
RaceMenuPluginXPMSE.esp
rrhairargonian.esp
TheCoenaculiUNP.esp
VioLens.esp
Weapons & Armor_TrueWeaponsLvlLists.esp
DynamicLoot_ImmersiveWeapons.esp
WeaponsArmorFixes_ImmersiveWeapons_Patch.esp
aMidianBorn_ContentAddon.esp
DynamicLoot_aMidianBornContentAddon.esp
Better Claws And Gauntlets.esp
Better Claws And Gauntlets - Immersive Armors.esp
DynamicLoot_ImmersiveArmors.esp
NPC_Overhaul_V_1_.esp
SMIM-Merged-All.esp
USKP_NPCoverhaul_Patch.esp
Nock2Tip.esp
RGMsAlchemistsCompendium.esp
Post ReProccer Fixes IA7 IW Patch.esp
JaxonzMCMKicker.esp
RSChildren_DB.esp
RSChildren_PatchUSKP.esp
MeridaHair.esp
FreckleMania.esp
Armor and Clothing for RSChildren - Playable Override + All DLC Patches.esp
smokinghotmainmenu.esp
VandB_OptimizationTint_V1_26.esp

-I'd also like to point out that I do have issues with the Dual Sheath Redux patch, but I think it's unrelated as I had this problem prior to it and SkyRe.
EDIT: If someone can come forward with a reliable crash log tool I'll be happy to test.
Edited by vrag98

You should count yourself lucky, the game is preventing you from doing damage to your saved game files. Auto-reloads, quickloads, and any other game load after you had already been playing are the prime source of savegame corruption. The other source being uninstalling mods and continuing to play using the same character. You mention "cleaning" saves, but for Skyrim that's just as likely to cause problems as fix them.

When you say starting from scratch, did you start a new game from the initial load screen or did you try to load a game then quit to "main menu" and start again? If you didn't start a new game immediately after starting the game you would have carried over any corruption from the previous game.

You should count yourself lucky, the game is preventing you from doing damage to your saved game files. Auto-reloads, quickloads, and any other game load after you had already been playing are the prime source of savegame corruption. The other source being uninstalling mods and continuing to play using the same character. You mention "cleaning" saves, but for Skyrim that's just as likely to cause problems as fix them.

When you say starting from scratch, did you start a new game from the initial load screen or did you try to load a game then quit to "main menu" and start again? If you didn't start a new game immediately after starting the game you would have carried over any corruption from the previous game.

I've tried starting new characters, clearing all save data and I had the problem last time I installed Skyrim. I can't exactly pinpoint when the bug started occurring, but it seems to happen when I started using a larger load order.

I have noticed after playing today that during some circumstances when an area is freshly loaded it doesn't happen very often if at all, only when i've spent larger amounts of time in an area does that game start to crash if I try to load a quicksave or the game tries to load after dying.

obviously the common idea is to try to die less and not to rely on quicksaves, but I like to play SkyRe on harder difficulties and death is quite common in some areas.

Hello, I've had this exact problem recently on a fresh install and a fresh save.

After a lot of trial and error I've traced the origin of the problem to the SKSE version i was using, which is the Beta build 1.7.2. a requirement of RaceMenu, which i see you are also using.

Running the game with any mod that relied on SKSE caused it to crash after loading a save ingame, which is what happens when you die.

Running the game without SKSE eliminated the crashes for me after loading a save ingame so I reverted to an older version of it and RaceMenu.

I seem to be crash free. For now :D.

Hope this helps.

Running the game without SKSE eliminated the crashes for me after loading a save ingame so I reverted to an older version of it and RaceMenu.

...Holy s#*!. I can't believe it was something that simple. I have 3k+ hours in Skyrim, hundreds if not thousands tinkering with mods and load orders and helping my friends... and yet, after recently reinstalling, I've been experiencing OP's issue of crashing on reloads/death within a game and I just couldn't figure out what to do. I've been looking for a solution for weeks, reverted to vanilla INIs, stripped my load order to the bare bones and then even started disabling basic things like the USKPs and SkyUI to try and find the problem. And the whole time, it was SKSE. I'm so accustomed to it being utterly stable that I never even considered that the beta build might be the problem.

TL;DR: Thank you. Reverting to SKSE 1.7.1 fixed my problem completely. Hopefully anyone else having this problem will stumble across this thread.

...Holy s***. I can't believe it was something that simple. I have 3k+ hours in Skyrim, hundreds if not thousands tinkering with mods and load orders and helping my friends... and yet, after recently reinstalling, I've been experiencing OP's issue of crashing on reloads/death within a game and I just couldn't figure out what to do. I've been looking for a solution for weeks, reverted to vanilla INIs, stripped my load order to the bare bones and then even started disabling basic things like the USKPs and SkyUI to try and find the problem. And the whole time, it was SKSE. I'm so accustomed to it being utterly stable that I never even considered that the beta build might be the problem.

TL;DR: Thank you. Reverting to SKSE 1.7.1 fixed my problem completely. Hopefully anyone else having this problem will stumble across this thread.

Just found this on the mod page might help will try it myself if crashes come back

This sounds like the exact same issue I've been having. Started a couple of weeks ago when I updated this mod and installed a couple of others, I thought it was them but when I started a new character it kept happening.

The game loads fine initially and I can reload saves for a little while, but if I start playing properly after a short amount of time any reload or quitting to the main menu crashes the game.

Are you sure it's the update that causes the crashes? I'd love to be able to lock down the cause. Let me know if you get any more info about it

Update: Just been looking through the ini files. I tried changing iLoadMode in nioverride.ini from 0 to 1 and it seems to have fixed the issue. Before I could only play for about 5 minutes before reloading would crash the game, now I can go much further. Hopefully it's fixed for good and not just delaying the issue, only time will tell.

This worked for me, no CTDs on death and no problems loading a save while in game. Using SKSE 1.7.2 and new Racemenu v3-2-1

I've seen a lot of posts with the same problem. I fought with this for three nights and then came across the above post on the mod page and tried it. Purposely Died several times to test it and so far no issues.

CTD solved in my case.

I have

New Skyrim installation, modified it for last week, 250 plugins. Mods: all DLCs, off. and unoff. patches, XP32, CBBE, Racemenu (used to have also ECE but problematic, maybe proper installation could help), Requiem, Phinix ENB (Enboost before it), CoT, RND, ApachiiSkyHair, Alternate Start, 3DNPC, DSpSoB, FNIS, Frostfall, Real Shelter, SMIM, UFO, ...

SKSE 172 and 173 later when triing to address bug source.

No LOOT error (many warnings I probably should TS5Edit out or Wrye Bash patched), many papyrus warnings and errors (should I try to solve them?).

Brand new character started by Alternate start, no relict scripts found by Save Tool.

I experienced

Almost every time CTD when trying to load in the middle of the game/died.

Papyrus log ended by see lower - every time without any common preceeding log

[05/27/2015 - 11:32:15PM] VM is freezing...
[05/27/2015 - 11:32:15PM] VM is frozen
[05/27/2015 - 11:32:15PM] Reverting game...

MIcrodumps not tried to log events deeper.

Issue started to appear in the middle of modding/testing process (last week, new installation).

Among other adviced, I have read on the Internets that this may be caused by used XP32 or Racemenu or SKSE 172. Tried to downgrade to 171, but not sucessfull - SKSE got disabled and Requiem crashed game after a message. I moved all SKSE scripts out and as result I had no CTD after load/death.

Solved by upgrading Racemenu 321 to 322

"

Fixes NiOverride BodyMorph floating wrist bug

Fixes NiOverride occasional crash when loading other saves of the same session

"

What ma have helped too: Installing SafeLoad mod, adding recommended properties to SKSE.ini

Hope it helps somebody (posted to several forum/threads)

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...

"I tried changing iLoadMode in nioverride.ini from 0 to 1 and it seems to have fixed the issue."

worked for me as well. thank you so much :smile:

Edit: guess it didn't fix problem completely, still have troubles but not that many.

Edit 2: I've noticed that problem appeared after downloading few mods in one day so I guessed it was script that was supposed to make less lags for RaceMenu (ShowRaceMenu PreCacheKille), I've deleted it and problem gone.

Edited by VladChabra