Does Oblivion create a Log file on Crashes?

Morilibus

I've been having a bunch of crash to desktop on crashes lately. Which I'm guessing are probably mod related. In the process of elimination right now to figure out which one(s). But I don't suppose there is a log, or an ability/plugin ect to create one the would show what was going on when the game crashed? Or would that be too easy :)

Anyways. I'm using OBMM, I have OBSE v0019b, I use BOSS for ordering, Streamline for saving. I don't have a huge amount of mods(compared to some lists I've seen). I had recently installed a bunch of texture/performance mods which I thought may be the cause. so I did a re-install of oblivion, patches and mods without those(except for Operation Optimization, low poly grass, short grass, quiet feet)

Here are my current mods in order of OBMM:

Oblivion.esm

Oscuro's_Oblivion_Overhaul.esm

HorseCombatMaster.esm

Unofficial Oblivion Patch.esp

DLCShiveringIsles.esp

Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch.esp

Symphony of Violence.esp

Book Jackets Oblivion.esp

Reznod_Mannequin.esp

Living Economy.esp

Living Economy - Items.esp

Cutthroat Merchants.esp

Streamline 3.1.esp

Map Marker Overhaul.esp

Map Marker Overhaul - SI additions.esp

Enhanced Hotkeys.esp

DLCHorseArmor.esp

DLCHorseArmor - Unofficial Patch.esp

DLCOrrery.esp

DLCOrrery - Unofficial Patch.esp

DLCVileLair.esp

DLCVileLair - Unofficial Patch.esp

DLCMehrunesRazor.esp

DLCMehrunesRazor - Unofficial Patch.esp

DLCSpellTomes.esp

DLCSpellTomes - Unofficial Patch.esp

DLCThievesDen.esp

DLCThievesDen - Unofficial Patch.esp

Oscuro's_Oblivion_Overhaul.esp

OOO-Map_Markers_Stock.esp

OOO-No_Guild_Ownership.esp

OMOBS.esp

OMOBS_SI.esp

OMOBS Optional Combat Settings.esp

allinonebasement.esp

DLCBattlehornCastle.esp

DLCBattlehornCastle - Unofficial Patch.esp

DLCFrostcrag.esp

DLCFrostcrag - Unofficial Patch.esp

Knights.esp

Knights - Unofficial Patch.esp

Lost Paladins of the Divines.esp

Harvest [Flora].esp

Harvest [Flora] - Shivering Isles.esp

Harvest [Flora] - DLCVileLair.esp

Harvest [Flora] - DLCFrostcrag.esp

AutoBookPlacer.esp

HUD Status Bars.esp

P1DkeyChain.esp

PersuasionOverhaul.esp

PersuasionOverhaul_OOO.esp

Short Grass V3.esp

Toggleable Quantity Prompt.esp

RealisticFatigue.esp

RealisticHealth.esp

Gather Ye Rosebuds.esp

SpellDeflection.esp

Mighty Magick - Settings.esp

Mighty Magick - Spells and Creatures.esp

MidasSpells.esp

Midas OscuroGems.esp

Midas Betterholy.esp

Midas PowDur4x.esp

Midas Eldrich Power 4x.esp

Midas Tigernolevel OBSE.esp

Midas BeastFortify Fix OBSE.esp

RshAlchemy.esp

RshAlchemyRecipes.esp

Mounted_Spellcasting_Deadly_Reflex_Compatible.esp

nGCD.esp

nGCD Birthsigns.esp

nGCD Oghma Infinium.esp

nGCD Skeleton Key.esp

Legendary Abilities-Reflect MOJ.esp

Grandmaster of Alchemy.esp

OOO-Level_Stock.esp

SP1stPLegs.esp

Beautiful People.esp

LightSpellTorch.esp

OOO-Magic_Script_Effect_Fix.esp

DeadlyReflex 6 - Combat Moves.esp

So far I've ruled out:

• Deadly reflex 6 beta (as I was having issues with the dr splatter.esp before cause ctd after impalement or saves after impalement's, but since then it was running great, then I got gready and installed more mods, Have tried removing again and CTD persists, so I don't see this as the culprit this time)
  • Kvatch Rebuilt ( recently installed )

And will continue going through the mods I most recently added. I'm at a point now where if I load my last save and try and save again it crashes. So I'm using this method as a trial and error for mod removal. Is this is good method?

I've been having a bunch of crash to desktop on crashes lately. Which I'm guessing are probably mod related. In the process of elimination right now to figure out which one(s). But I don't suppose there is a log, or an ability/plugin ect to create one the would show what was going on when the game crashed? Or would that be too easy :)

The Conscribe plugin might help or might not, but it adds the ability for the console error messages to get written to a log file. Requires OBSE.

The Conscribe plugin might help or might not, but it adds the ability for the console error messages to get written to a log file. Requires OBSE.

thx I'll look for that, and see what it spews out.

may have found the cultprit(using above method). Removing mighty magic allowed me to save. It conflicts with OOO, I believe OOO had over written mighty Magic when I was re-adding my mods in after fresh install, perhaps might should be the one overwriting? Only really want Might Magic for it's sustained spells(the shield spells that you can toggle on and off, and just drain magicka while active), could probably live without.

[EDIT]

Tried conscrib, didn't show anything after a crash, just a few messages from mods.

Something doesn't like Mighty magic. With = crash without = no crash. will continue grinding caves and the like to see if truly rectified.

[EDIT2]

Well I was looking at the mighty Magick readme again, and it does say it IS compatible with OOO. so perhaps the conflict lies elsewhere... I would like to continue using this mod as I'm pretty sure the game was running fine with it before. And I'm only using the esp that changes the spells and summons. And I have no other mod that messes with the magick system (I don't think). Midas only adds new stuff I believe.

[EDIT]

Ok things seem to be stable again, and I was able to re-add in the mighty magick mod after doing a clean save without it.

Edited by Morilibus

Oblivion uses the operating system's application crash log

Administrativetools --> Eventviewer --> Application

Thanks. I tried looking in there, but I don't see any reference to oblivion in the application, does one need to tell it to monitor oblivion?

Thanks. I tried looking in there, but I don't see any reference to oblivion in the application, does one need to tell it to monitor oblivion?

Windows Event Viewer logs everything. You have to look in the Application events for a red 'Error'. Be warned, it won't be very helpful to anybody but a technical expert.

When are you ctd'ing? On exit, or on transition, or just random? If it's on exit, it's not a mod that's causing it; it's the fact you *have* a number of mods, what's happening is Oblivion.esm is closing before all the add-ins have closed.

Other than that, you may want to replace Living Economy with Enhanced Economy. It's exactly the same program, only he added more features and fixed some bugs.

Windows Event Viewer logs everything. You have to look in the Application events for a red 'Error'. Be warned, it won't be very helpful to anybody but a technical expert.

I used it to find out that mine was crashing because of pluggy, it displayed 'pluggy' in plain text as the cause.

I used it to find out that mine was crashing because of pluggy, it displayed 'pluggy' in plain text as the cause.

I was getting crashes during gameplay, randomly, but mostly when I would save. things seem to be relatively stable at the moment.

My experience with the event viewer log was that there was no record of anything happening during the times of my crash. My game would crash 5 times in a row each time I would try to save. I would look in the event viewer and there would be nothing since hours ago related to syncing the computer clock or something. so my crashes didn't appear to be anything that might show up as anything going wrong in a windows application I guess.

I was getting crashes during gameplay, randomly, but mostly when I would save. things seem to be relatively stable at the moment.

My experience with the event viewer log was that there was no record of anything happening during the times of my crash. My game would crash 5 times in a row each time I would try to save. I would look in the event viewer and there would be nothing since hours ago related to syncing the computer clock or something. so my crashes didn't appear to be anything that might show up as anything going wrong in a windows application I guess.

Thats odd, mine always logs crashes.