Experiencing repeating crashes, random crashes at random points.

Koru01

Hey guys, been a while since I've been back here to ask for help but now I am at a point where I am ready to uninstall and just give up on ol' Fo3. I've gone through countless threads about modifying INI files, tweaks and various other changes to make it stable in Windows 8, but I am at a total loss of why I am still experiencing crashing, as any combination of the mods I am using cause random issues.

GOTY

Using latest version of SKSE.

I am currently using FOMM 0.13.21

My load order is as follows:

Fallout3.esm
Anchorage.esm
ThePitt.esm
BrokenSteel.esm
PointLookout.esm
Zeta.esm
Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch.esm
CALIBR.esm
FOOK2 - Main.ESM
FOOK2 - [DIK] DLC Improvement Kit.ESM
DCInteriors_ComboEdition.esm
Enhanced Weather - Rain and Snow.esm
Mart's Mutant Mod.esm
Vault 101 Revisited.esm
1PipboyPDA.esp
Auto Aim Fix v1.1.esp
BLTC Hypo Fix.esp
BLTC Immersion Patch.esp
FOOK2 - Main.esp
FOOK2 - [DIK] DLC Improvement Kit.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod.esp
MMM, FOOK2.esp
BLTC.esp
BLTC Less Addictions.esp
BLTC No Overdosing.esp
BLTC No Visual Effects.esp
Bottle That Water Alternative - Broken Steel.esp
Bottle That Water Alternative.esp
FOOK2 - DIK [Hotfix].esp
WeaponModKits.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC Zeta.esp
CONELRAD 640-1240.esp
DarNifiedUIF3.esp
Enhanced Weather - Radioactive Rain and Snow Plugin.esp
Enhanced Weather - Rain and Snow in Fallout.esp
Enhanced Weather - REBOOT.esp
Enhanced Weather - Sneak Bonus during Storms.esp
Enhanced Weather - Weather Sounds in Interiors.esp
Flora Overhaul.esp
FOOK2 - Main [Hotfix].esp
GNR Enhanced.esp
HZSmoothLight - FO3.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - DC Interiors.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - Master Menu Module.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - Natural Selection.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - Zones Respawn.esp
WeaponModKits - FOOK.esp
WeaponModKits - BrokenSteel.esp
WeaponModKits - Zeta.esp
WeaponModKits - OperationAnchorage.esp
WeaponModKits - ThePitt.esp
WeaponModKits - PointLookout.esp
3EFdrg.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC Broken Steel.esp
MMM, FOOK2 - DIK.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC Anchorage.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC Point Lookout.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC The Pitt.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - Tougher Traders.esp
MMM, FOOK2 - Natural Selection.esp
Smoosh2.esp

Total active plugins: 61
Total plugins: 62

I use LOOT to maintain my load order.

I used Fo3 edit to generate Smoosh2 as my merged patch. I have not used Wyrebash.

My machine is more than capable of running Fo3 on maximum with 0 FPS loss and almost isntant load times between areas. The only trouble spots are the dust clouds that rise from certain radioactive pools. Looking at them makes me loose a bit of FPS.

I really need help hunting down the issues that are causing this instability. Most of the crashes occur during fights, but many of them also occur just when exploring.

Compatibility patches must load after the last mod they are patching. Regardless of the order determined by LOOT. If the patch is not loaded after the mod, the mod will overwrite the patch, rendering it useless.

For mods with multiple plugins, arrange them in the same order as the vanilla game. See the sample load orders on the Marts Mutant Mod and FOOK2 pages.

Compatibility patches must load after the last mod they are patching. Regardless of the order determined by LOOT. If the patch is not loaded after the mod, the mod will overwrite the patch, rendering it useless.

For mods with multiple plugins, arrange them in the same order as the vanilla game. See the sample load orders on the Marts Mutant Mod and FOOK2 pages.

I attempted to rearrange my compatibility esps so that they were below all their supporting mods, and I have to admit, the game itself is slightly more stable, but that doesn't really resolve the overall problem. I'm starting to believe that the mix of Windows 8 disliking the engine, and FOOK2 and MMM not working together properly could be the real cause of all this instability.

I'm honestly ready to just pick up and move on to NV again and leave my nostalgia to Fallout 1 and 2. At least those don't crash every five minutes.

Edited by Koru01

Fallout 3, if installed properly on a machine capable to run the game is very stable. I currently have about 100 mods running on a crash free game. Just follow the instructions in this post: http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1465357-installing-fallout-3-with-windows-78-and-xp/

Keep in mind that FOOK2 is in Beta testing and is itself not completely stable. Also, stop using LOOT and NMM. Use B.O.S.S. and FOMM (Fallout Mod Manager)

Edited by M48A5

Stable 140 mods. If your not crashing at start up it might be a memory problem. I have stupid amounts of Vram and system ram, but you still have to force the game to use as much as possible. This helped me quite a bit: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/21141/?

Also this mod is for Skyrim, but the tutorial for Cleanmem can be used for FO3 too and is a must have. http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/32363/?

Don't let the best game ever get you down. You can do it :)

I did a dry run with vanilla GOTY Fo3, and it ran perfectly with no issues to a 2 hour point. I'm going to continue to play a bit vanilla before I change anything, try to find some instability by simply doing what I nromally do, but so far everything seems okay. I will report back to this topic if I run across issues while modding, and which mods cause errors.