Skyrim Not Utilising Full H/W Capabilities (50%)

thisaccountisuseless

I've got Skyrim and I left Task Manager open while I had an 800x450 windowed Skyrim session open. It turns out that Skyrim only uses 512MB of my RAM (I have 4GiB total, 1.77GiB is utilised by the GFX card for shared memory) and a dual core 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with a 2MB L2 chache. I know this H/W is nowhere near good enough, but it works well enough for me. I noticed that when playing the game in Whiterun/Dragonsreach I had only 50 percent CPU usage, 22 percent GFX usage, and while loading exterior cells (Whiterun/Whiterun Plains) there was only 85 percent CPU usage and 12 percent GFX usage. I need to increase these numbers. Any ideas? In Markarth I only get 72 percent CPU and 34 percent GFX usage. Why is this happening?

Nothing. The engine wasn't written for multicore abuse. I rarely get above 30% (CPU) usage myself, and that's in hardcore combat. GPU is much easier to max out, just let it get 60 fps for a while.... ;)

Remember that this game was built on an ancient (2002ish) engine (Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout3, FNV and THEN Skyrim...)

Wait, Skyrim uses the Oblivion engine? Then why is it so slow? I barely get 15 frames in Skyrim yet I get 50+ in Oblivion! I can play Oblivion on maximum settings yet Skyrim has to run at 320x240 for more than 30 frames!

Edited by thisaccountisuseless