How To Make A Light Switch?????

lostami

I have always been bad at this sort of thing, scripting in general confuses me to no end.

I Want to make a light switch that will turn off a batch of lights in an interior cell.

I understand i need to start with an activator, and i found one that will do just fine, but i don't know how to make it turn off the lights....

Some help, or a step by step would be much appreciated.

Well in uderground hideout, there are plently of light switches, the one in the armory is especiallly cool. Try looking at those scripts.

Also from my modders resource thead here are some resources you may want to look at as well.

These are probably gonna be from Fallout 3,

However check authors pages since I came up with the list weeks ago and a few have ported things.

A Lightswitch -- Modders Resource

Animated Light Switch - Modders Resource

Placeable Lights - Modders Resource

Just for fun to mention

Television Comes To Fallout -- Modders Resource

Animated Book Resource -- Modders Resource

Chronicles Of War Animated Book -- Modders Resource

Voodoo Doll - Modders Resource

Bonds Animated Flag - Modders Resource

And heres the thread these are from if you want to look around for more resources.

Modders Resources and New Models Found Here

I Don't really want to download an entire mod to look at the script, nor do i want to use a new mesh or anything, i just want to know how to make a activator toggle multiple lights on and off.

I used google to search for "light switch" "geck" and found a tutorial on bethsoft, plus a video. I find that I can answer a lot of my own questions this way (and hopefully, answer your question also.)

Tutorial at bethsoft

Video

If you have a large number of lights to switch, the additional technique of using an "enable parent" can help. Searching this term at forums.newvegasnexus returns a half dozen threads where this is described.

I used google to search for "light switch" "geck" and found a tutorial on bethsoft, plus a video. I find that I can answer a lot of my own questions this way (and hopefully, answer your question also.)

Tutorial at bethsoft

Video

If you have a large number of lights to switch, the additional technique of using an "enable parent" can help. Searching this term at forums.newvegasnexus returns a half dozen threads where this is described.

I had a few lights also to turn off, was amazed at how simple it really was. Just reference the light to the activator as the parent. ALSO MAKE SURE that the activator is persistant, theres a check box for that. Now if I can figure out why my activator disapears I might be on to something. Actually if anyone knows why an activator disapears, please pm me or post in this thread.

I mean it just dissapears, I used the no clipping and couldnt find it at all. Its the simplest of scripts too, right from bethesda about light switches, I am at a total lose. The lights go out and the activator that I use, which is a large sceen thing, just goes away. If I bound it to another object, then the lights stay on, and the other object Im referencing dissapears. Im at a total loss, if you want to pm me, Ill email the esp. Everything is vanilla, no esm's. Im stuck. :sad:

First, are you using geck powerup to see errors, and have you looked for errors using fnvedit? Both of these approaches may allow you to solve this and similar problems on your own.

If not, it sounds like the esp is small, zip it and attach it to a post here. That way several people may look at it. Please indicate clearly which object you think is disappearing, or some exact steps to make the problem happen.

Heres the file as an attachment. Strange though, the file size is now 4mb, as compared with 102k from this afternoon. Seems like a lot of changes, but I havent done that much, mostly lighting work, and this switch.

The area is in the wolfhorn ranch area, right next to the shack is the entrance, from there, open the celler door, and and through the gate. Proceed to the desk at the far end, and the huge consoles, is the activator, that was switching the entrance lights off.

Thanks if you can see where I screwed up.

Im at a loss

Actually I'll have to update the mod area, File is to large to upload here.

Let me get the link.

heres the link with the new file

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=39721

Edited by Floatsup