Can someone explain to me why are modders focused on making new voiced quests rather than new voiced random events?

toadguy

Lack of tutorials on making random events. Compared to regular quests it's another layer of complexity.

Bad tutorials, conflicting information on linking into the Radaint system, and an inability to discern veteran modders from veteran trolls. Do any quest mods start from finding an item or note in a random boss chest or on a random boss? Break of Dawn is a perfect example of how to create such a quest. I've had a lot of trouble trying to implement something similar. Testing is difficult because a CoC to a boss or chest won't trigger the Radiant system, and I do not know who to trust about compatibility and conflicts with other Radiant quest mods.

Those are only the problems I've encountered personally.

Have you looked at the CK Wiki?

This tutorial is LITERALLY the exact thing you're looking for, just change Boss as reftype to BossContainer. This is what we mean - people who don't search that much. The CK wiki (ESP. This set of tutorials) is quite accurate. To test, just do sqv yorQuestID in the console and it will show if aliases are filled. If yes - it probably worked.

http://www.creationkit.com/Bethesda_Tutorial_Radiant_Quests

It's not that it is somehow impossible to make a random event, it just raises extra design concerns, for instance: how often should this particular random event come up, relative to other random events? So, even if I had an idea for a simple random event, I would more likely write it up and send a message to one of the few authors of mods introducing new random events (apparently there are some out there).

Lack of tutorials on making random events. Compared to regular quests it's another layer of complexity.

Bad tutorials, conflicting information on linking into the Radaint system, and an inability to discern veteran modders from veteran trolls. Do any quest mods start from finding an item or note in a random boss chest or on a random boss? Break of Dawn is a perfect example of how to create such a quest. I've had a lot of trouble trying to implement something similar. Testing is difficult because a CoC to a boss or chest won't trigger the Radiant system, and I do not know who to trust about compatibility and conflicts with other Radiant quest mods.

Maybe someone should make a bunch of tutorial videos on youtube. I see a lot of youtubers make tutorial videos for C++ game programming, but I don't think I saw any video on advanced Skyrim scripting.

This tutorial is LITERALLY the exact thing you're looking for, just change Boss as reftype to BossContainer. This is what we mean - people who don't search that much. The CK wiki (ESP. This set of tutorials) is quite accurate. To test, just do sqv yorQuestID in the console and it will show if aliases are filled. If yes - it probably worked.

its not that simple. the reference aliases for Break of Dawn are for moving quest objective arrows around. the tutorial has the quest beginning with an npc, not beginning with finding an item in a random container. the solution i've found doesn't use any aliases, but conditions on a new node in the SM event node. Now that it is working I must recreate the entire thing in another mod to test if changes in the SM node are compatible between mods, because reading the forums says it is and it isn't.

Edited by nhackett

In my case, this wiki made me lose a ton of time, due to his low quality on specific subjects. For example, the CK is full of wrong or inaccurate information concerning the AI.

In the end, I've performed a lot of experiments to understand how the AI works in Skyrim.

This tutorial is LITERALLY the exact thing you're looking for, just change Boss as reftype to BossContainer. This is what we mean - people who don't search that much. The CK wiki (ESP. This set of tutorials) is quite accurate. To test, just do sqv yorQuestID in the console and it will show if aliases are filled. If yes - it probably worked.http://www.creationkit.com/Bethesda_Tutorial_Radiant_Quests

its not that simple. the reference aliases for Break of Dawn are for moving quest objective arrows around. the tutorial has the quest beginning with an npc, not beginning with finding an item in a random container. the solution i've found doesn't use any aliases, but conditions on a new node in the SM event node. Now that it is working I must recreate the entire thing in another mod to test if changes in the SM node are compatible between mods, because reading the forums says it is and it isn't.

It is that simple. The reference alias for the Break of Dawn is for any boss container in a dungeon. If you wanted it to be the boss in a dungeon, just change it to fill as the RefType of a boss not BossContainer. That's it.

In my case, this wiki made me lose a ton of time, due to his low quality on specific subjects. For example, the CK is full of wrong or inaccurate information concerning the AI.

In the end, I've performed a lot of experiments to understand how the AI works in Skyrim.

So did you update the Wiki to correct the mistakes and missing information? Everyone who complains but doesn't fix things is part of the problem. The Wiki was created by Bethesda for the community to use to share information but when we don't use it we're the ones who suffer not Bethesda.

I'd actually like to see something like a proper importation of Morrowind and Oblivion weapons and armour into Skyrim. You'd think after 3 and a half years, someone would have put them all into a single collection mod by now...

Might have to organise it myself at the rate things are going.