My Opinion on the Current State of the Skyrim Nexus

StupidDunmer

No kidding modding is not easy. Just started to mod in Dec., and I am at it almost every day and still there is a boatload I need to learn to accomplish what I want to do. And while there is a great deal of modder resources, all of them are again limited to what the exp modder wants to share in the form of a tutorial or whatever advise you can beg to get from modders who know more than you do. Not easy I can say. Non-modders would be surprised the investment it takes to learn how to use the tools in the CK to put something together. Every step turns into something else new you have to learn and a quest for "how to do it". It is far from just using your imagination and plopping down kit pieces and there you have a cool mod.

Agree that it takes some effort to get ones head around the mechanics, but if it's worth doing then it's worth doing right!

But rest assured, you are not alone. There are still a great many members who will give advice freely... because we are the nexus. We are community.

Again I say, if you have an idea.. run with it.

Omg. I'm a hippy!

Edited by skinnytecboy

It ebbs and flows. I've been busy mysellf, but I do have an archery related mod that requires SKSE 1.7.0 that I'm in the process of working on. Given the official support in Steam for SKSE just recently (it apparently detects if you have SKSE and adds it in to the loading setup automatically), I feel more comfortable about releasing something that relies on it on both Steam Workshop and the Nexus.

Another one I have planned involves alchemy, where the aim is on distilling existing potions and poisons into much stronger variants, which has again relied on a newer version of SKSE (1.7.2, I believe). The archery one will come first, though, and should be somewhat universally compatible with any mod that introduces new arrows and bolts.

It is what it is. Having been here for over seven years I have seen the modding of many games ebb and flow. There will be times that things are slow then suddenly there will be a flurry of activity. You need only look and see how the Morrowing files ebb and flow.

Skyrim is now 3 1/2 years old. It isn't always going to get the attention that maybe it did the first year or so. Things can and do pick up. However, I think perhaps that instead of just saying it is dead you could be more proactive and constructive. Perhaps you have some ideas? Better yet there are numerous and wonderful tools and websites to help someone LEARN how to make mods also. TesAlliance ( http://tesalliance.org/forums/ ) is a great place to look about, for example. If you learn to mod not only can you please yourself but also help with the very issue with which you are concerned.

I understand what you mean. I understand that there are still many ideas coming around, but I feel that in some cases, things are being milked. Mods are being made for the sake of being made, not because of a unique idea. I'm not saying that's a bad idea, I'm just saying it is what it is. I didn't mean to offend.

Hot files isn't the best place to go looking for new ideas anyway.

This is the same generic rant about modding we have seen about once a month since I started frequenting this site. It's in the same category as complaining about what's the matter with kids these days and that nobody uses the word "literally" properly anymore.

I wasn't really complaining, I was just stating my observation. This is a great community, and I feel that it may be losing a grip in certain senses, but that's inevitable with a community this mature. I understand your input on the generic nature of what I said, I have also seen it a lot. I just wanted to see the opinion of some other members of the community, that is all. :)

If you look at Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim you'll see that each game has a few types of mods that there are tons of and others that there are very few of. In Oblivion most mods are body mods, levelling mods or new land/quest mods. In Skyrim most mods are follower mods, texture mods or ENBs. In TES6, we'll find that the category most mods fall under has changed.

Skyrim needs better light and a Dx11 Renderer, that's bout it.

Most light mods only fix skyrim's old console compromises and bad/unrealistic placement.

It should get open windows for every house (immersive interiors -mod and Actual Windows - Farmhouses) combined with window shadows (shadows - mod) and a lot more light shafts.

That combined with something like elfx

If somebody could merge those mods, it would be awesome.

Edited by Pfuscher

Just one of the "Merrie Moderators" here.

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-dance009.gif http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-dance011.gif http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-dance017.gif

Looking forward to the Witcher3 mods incoming. As soon as we have a working SDK, I expect we will be swamped. That should keep us busy until FO4 drops - hopefully later this year. :thumbsup:

One of my all time favorite games to mod was Battlefield 1942. The community there got together in international teams and did complete rewrites of that game using the engine - making a WW2 game go backwards and forwards in time. Amazing stuff. Dice's Battlefield 2 (and most of the series since) was basically a knockoff of the Battlefield 1942 mod Desert Combat. Maybe I'm missing something, but haven't seen anything like that for the Skyrim engine, other than some teams remaking Oblivion and Morrowind in the Skyrim engine. Coffee, not sure if that's the kind of stuff you're getting at, but in a game as popular as this one, that's what I'm surprised hasn't happened (to my knowledge). Or maybe you're thinking something like this:

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag64/djheraeus/Skyrim%20Other/1127742622_zpsqfxyzl5v.jpg