Fallout 4 announced with teaser trailer

Dark0ne

In response to post #26152804. #26160334, #26167244, #26167844, #26169834, #26170174, #26174459, #26176529, #26182189, #26185329, #26203729, #26206854, #26210604, #26210639, #26222404 are all replies on the same post.

nivea wrote: You start the game with a f*#@ing family, are you kidding me?! Where is the freedom of role play in THAT, I am extremely disappointed.

You are a middle aged M/F, straight, married, with a BABY. But you do not play as the baby, no you play the middle aged married parent.

I feel like a I am so done with FO4 and I havent even gotten to play it.... NONE of my character styles can fit into that little set up. I am very sad right now.... I had high hopes I could even try to get past the voice acting, but really you start with a family. *SIGH*
VWgolfR1 wrote: Where the hell is that family in the game other than in the first minutes when you get a glimpse of the pre-war era? You're all alone after the war and you make up your own future. I honestly feel sorry for you, because I'm gonna enjoy my brains out and maybe there's something for you too.
Also, times are changing and voiced protagonists have become deeply rooted by now. I also have second thoughts about that so I don't doubt there will be a mod that changes it.
TheCourier13 wrote: Oh NOES!!! The MC is STRAIGHT AND MARRIED!!!! WHATEVER SHALL WE DO?!

LMAO! :D
KiCHo666 wrote: Well, you can always made up story in your mind even with family and baby.
I did the same thing with courier in NV.
nivea wrote: Yes you COULD make up a story about having a wife and child who died, what a great CHOICE that would be you could make. :)

When does it show up in game, please they did not make that baby with all the face gen of both its parents just to never show up again in game. MAJOR waste of resources, they could have just changed her skin tone only if that was the case.

You KNOW the daughter is going to show up later in the story line, and more then likely be angry at the main character for abandoning her and the other parent.. She will even be involved with the "bad guys", for extra drama and moral choices thing.

Really if this where a closed world linear story (ala Mass Effect, Bioshock, Saints Row, ECT) then I would have NO issue at all, but I do not buy a TES or Fallout game with a "open, free choice world" only to have no choice at all in my character.

Where is the harm in that, wanting to make my own character and my own story? In a game that says you have the "freedom" to do that?

I kinda feel bad for you actually if your so happy to accept that after all these kinda of games with all this freedom, you feel happy to have a voiced character with a major important backstory to that character already made.

That is the whole beauty of the TES and Fallout series compared to other games, you can make your own character and own story without having the game makers step on your toes so many times.

I only have real issue with voicing because it sounds like generic middle aged white gruff guy number 1000000000 (the woman I find a bit annoying, but that is a personal taste issue), a couple more choices would have been nice. Also the fact that you will get less choices in game because of it (gotta stick to the butdget after all), and that mods will now have to feature a silent main character while the rest of the game is voiced.
amd64gamer wrote: And then, the mods to change the voice shows up... 8-)
nivea wrote: Yes... someone is going to go through the thousands of dialog and revoice them, have to admit that has never happened to any of the games I have modded for. Someone revoicing vanilla content that is. o_O
digitaltrucker wrote: The Fallout series have NEVER been open-world-do-anything-you-want. There's always been a backstory to the character and it always ties into the main quest. FO and TES are two different things.
NDDragor wrote: Your family is dead and you come out of the vault 200 years later. So you can start all over and forget about the first minutes of gameplay. And I am sure that there will be several alternative start mods.
KiCHo666 wrote: Well, Todd kept repeating how player's freedom and do-what-you-want was their number 1 priority, so....Yes, I'm being cynical.

Todd also mentioned how baby will look like his/her parents, so it mean either:
1. You are the baby, but older.
2. You are a father/mother and you will eventually meet your daughter/son later in game.

I bet it's the second one.

I also doubt ANYONE will bother to voice 13000 lines without it sounding like an ass.
JianXintou wrote: Yeah, I'm not seeing the issue here.. As others have pointed out, you can likely make up your own story when you're done with the pre-war intro.

Also, given what we know - which is that the PC is the ONLY survivor of that vault (likely via cryogenics or sth. like that) I highly doubt that likelihood of the PC family surviving (if we're assuming that you're indeed one of the parents). I mean let's look at our options here:

1. Only you get into the vault. Your husband/wife and the baby die.
2. You all get into the vault but there's a malfunction at some point and they decide to put you into a cryogenic sleep chamber. Same result.

I can't see it being any probable that your family survives 200 years without being cybernetically enhanced, put in some life-support chamber like Mr. House or anything like that. I mean, meeting a descendant of yours? Maybe, but your exact family? How are they gonna pull that off?

I see even less possibilites if the PC was actually the baby. I'd also much prefer it this way. I don't want some kitschy family reunion bullshit.

Now, the VA/subtitle thing on the other hand.. that's more of an issue if you ask me. At least if there isn't a subtitle option like in the last games.
silant wrote: I dont know, even tho Todd said that the player is gonna be the sole survivor, im pretty sure there's gonna be a story-twist with the baby. I mean he mentioned that the baby is gonna be generated on the player-characters and his/hers wifes/mans face. So im pretty sure there will be a point in the story where this feature takes effect. Anyways im super hyped and couldnt be more happy with what i saw. The simple fact that they've included so much of my favourite mods, will make the game absolutely enjoyable and entertaining. And by ealry 2016 the creationkit v2.0?! and hopefully F4SE/FASE are gonna show up and i know theres gonna be even more and better mods for this game than for skyrim.

Oh and btw, im sure theres also gonna be mods that alter the beginning of the game, for those who really cant handle the fact of being married with children^^
JianXintou wrote: Idk, it's possible. I just think it's illogical and honestly, it would seem a bit pander-y. "Oh hey look a baby WE HAVE TO MAKE THIS A PIVOT POINT IN THE STORY!"
VWgolfR1 wrote: @nivea
No need to feel bad for me, because I'll be able to immerse myself in the game anyway.
Still remember the death of your dad in Fo3 and how great it was with your silent protagonist? That was one of the major moments where I wished it wouldn't have been so weird. Bottom line, they obviously want to tell a story with a voiced protagonist for a reason.
Blame also the current trend of voiced protagonists in all the major RPG's, which undoubtedly influenced this.

Yeah, the mods will feature that...because it has always been like that in fo/tes games. I have no problem with such mods, because a lot of you will want it; it sure looks that way.

And please, stop sounding like you know for sure what's going to happen in the story. That's annoying and you really need to sleep this over.
Drinx wrote: Eh, I havn't enjoyed a story in a bethesda game in ages. I'm in it for the mods. This one does actually look like it might have decent gameplay from the get go though.

Well, pre-fallout era is stuck in the 50's. Spouse could be a beard.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #26152804. #26160334, #26167244, #26167844, #26169834, #26170174, #26174459, #26176529, #26182189, #26185329, #26203729, #26206854, #26210604, #26210639, #26222404, #26296969 are all replies on the same post.

nivea wrote: You start the game with a f*#@ing family, are you kidding me?! Where is the freedom of role play in THAT, I am extremely disappointed.

You are a middle aged M/F, straight, married, with a BABY. But you do not play as the baby, no you play the middle aged married parent.

I feel like a I am so done with FO4 and I havent even gotten to play it.... NONE of my character styles can fit into that little set up. I am very sad right now.... I had high hopes I could even try to get past the voice acting, but really you start with a family. *SIGH*
VWgolfR1 wrote: Where the hell is that family in the game other than in the first minutes when you get a glimpse of the pre-war era? You're all alone after the war and you make up your own future. I honestly feel sorry for you, because I'm gonna enjoy my brains out and maybe there's something for you too.
Also, times are changing and voiced protagonists have become deeply rooted by now. I also have second thoughts about that so I don't doubt there will be a mod that changes it.
TheCourier13 wrote: Oh NOES!!! The MC is STRAIGHT AND MARRIED!!!! WHATEVER SHALL WE DO?!

KiCHo666 wrote: Well, you can always made up story in your mind even with family and baby.
nivea wrote: Yes you COULD make up a story about having a wife and child who died, what a great CHOICE that would be you could make. :)

When does it show up in game, please they did not make that baby with all the face gen of both its parents just to never show up again in game. MAJOR waste of resources, they could have just changed her skin tone only if that was the case.

You KNOW the daughter is going to show up later in the story line, and more then likely be angry at the main character for abandoning her and the other parent.. She will even be involved with the "bad guys", for extra drama and moral choices thing.

Really if this where a closed world linear story (ala Mass Effect, Bioshock, Saints Row, ECT) then I would have NO issue at all, but I do not buy a TES or Fallout game with a "open, free choice world" only to have no choice at all in my character.

Where is the harm in that, wanting to make my own character and my own story? In a game that says you have the "freedom" to do that?

I kinda feel bad for you actually if your so happy to accept that after all these kinda of games with all this freedom, you feel happy to have a voiced character with a major important backstory to that character already made.

That is the whole beauty of the TES and Fallout series compared to other games, you can make your own character and own story without having the game makers step on your toes so many times.

I only have real issue with voicing because it sounds like generic middle aged white gruff guy number 1000000000 (the woman I find a bit annoying, but that is a personal taste issue), a couple more choices would have been nice. Also the fact that you will get less choices in game because of it (gotta stick to the butdget after all), and that mods will now have to feature a silent main character while the rest of the game is voiced.
nivea wrote: Yes... someone is going to go through the thousands of dialog and revoice them, have to admit that has never happened to any of the games I have modded for. Someone revoicing vanilla content that is. o_O
digitaltrucker wrote: The Fallout series have NEVER been open-world-do-anything-you-want. There's always been a backstory to the character and it always ties into the main quest. FO and TES are two different things.
NDDragor wrote: Your family is dead and you come out of the vault 200 years later. So you can start all over and forget about the first minutes of gameplay. And I am sure that there will be several alternative start mods.
KiCHo666 wrote: Well, Todd kept repeating how player's freedom and do-what-you-want was their number 1 priority, so....Yes, I'm being cynical.

2. You are a father/mother and you will eventually meet your daughter/son later in game.

I also doubt ANYONE will bother to voice 13000 lines without it sounding like an ass.
JianXintou wrote: Yeah, I'm not seeing the issue here.. As others have pointed out, you can likely make up your own story when you're done with the pre-war intro.

Also, given what we know - which is that the PC is the ONLY survivor of that vault (likely via cryogenics or sth. like that) I highly doubt that likelihood of the PC family surviving (if we're assuming that you're indeed one of the parents). I mean let's look at our options here:

2. You all get into the vault but there's a malfunction at some point and they decide to put you into a cryogenic sleep chamber. Same result.

I can't see it being any probable that your family survives 200 years without being cybernetically enhanced, put in some life-support chamber like Mr. House or anything like that. I mean, meeting a descendant of yours? Maybe, but your exact family? How are they gonna pull that off?

I see even less possibilites if the PC was actually the baby. I'd also much prefer it this way. I don't want some kitschy family reunion bullshit.

Now, the VA/subtitle thing on the other hand.. that's more of an issue if you ask me. At least if there isn't a subtitle option like in the last games.
silant wrote: I dont know, even tho Todd said that the player is gonna be the sole survivor, im pretty sure there's gonna be a story-twist with the baby. I mean he mentioned that the baby is gonna be generated on the player-characters and his/hers wifes/mans face. So im pretty sure there will be a point in the story where this feature takes effect. Anyways im super hyped and couldnt be more happy with what i saw. The simple fact that they've included so much of my favourite mods, will make the game absolutely enjoyable and entertaining. And by ealry 2016 the creationkit v2.0?! and hopefully F4SE/FASE are gonna show up and i know theres gonna be even more and better mods for this game than for skyrim.

Oh and btw, im sure theres also gonna be mods that alter the beginning of the game, for those who really cant handle the fact of being married with children^^
JianXintou wrote: Idk, it's possible. I just think it's illogical and honestly, it would seem a bit pander-y. "Oh hey look a baby WE HAVE TO MAKE THIS A PIVOT POINT IN THE STORY!"
No need to feel bad for me, because I'll be able to immerse myself in the game anyway.
Still remember the death of your dad in Fo3 and how great it was with your silent protagonist? That was one of the major moments where I wished it wouldn't have been so weird. Bottom line, they obviously want to tell a story with a voiced protagonist for a reason.
Blame also the current trend of voiced protagonists in all the major RPG's, which undoubtedly influenced this.

Yeah, the mods will feature that...because it has always been like that in fo/tes games. I have no problem with such mods, because a lot of you will want it; it sure looks that way.

And please, stop sounding like you know for sure what's going to happen in the story. That's annoying and you really need to sleep this over.
Drinx wrote: Eh, I havn't enjoyed a story in a bethesda game in ages. I'm in it for the mods. This one does actually look like it might have decent gameplay from the get go though.
StonedDragonborn wrote: Well, pre-fallout era is stuck in the 50's. Spouse could be a beard.

Oh, nivea, we both know that you're going to end up buying it. I'm not sure why you're making such a fuss about this anyways. I'm sure someone will also release an alternative start mod to salve your poor soul. Besides, I don't think developers necessarily limit our role-playing options by giving our character a backstory and emotional affiliations. For example, after having spent 30+ hours in the Witcher 3, I can honestly say that I'm more connected to him as my character than I ever was in Fallout or Skyrim. I don't attribute that to the voiced dialogue or hardcoded backstory, but to the availability of well-written options as well as a story that many of us can relate to. There were times when I was nice and there were times when I decided that I couldn't handle people's nonsense anymore. Despite my choices, Geralt always sounded like Geralt and never broke character. I'm okay with having a similar experience in Fallout 4. Honestly, the only people who might find the story completely irrelevant are homosexuals. Edited by momuse88

• 2 weeks later...

I am delighted to finally get a voiced protagonist in Fallout! I always hated being weirdly mute in a world full of talking people. After the magnificent Witcher 3, I would not be willing to buy a game with a silent protagonist ever again.

I am really looking forward to FO4, and my only trepidation is will Bethesda produce a stable game? I love their stuff, I really do, but OMG they do tend to be bugfests.

In response to post #26132669. #26140559 is also a reply to the same post.

jim_uk wrote: Where are the skills? they were absent during chargen and no mention was made of them, this looks like a perk, not a skill http://i.imgur.com/g3BFJ7E.png

I liked the Pipboy boot screen, some of the oldies will have recognised it...

http://i.imgur.com/6kQMhOY.gif
KiCHo666 wrote: There most likely won't be any skills. SPECIAL info doesn't mention them.

I'm okay with no skills. They were always the weak point in the special system anyway. It makes more sense to incorporate them into the perks and give you one every level.

In response to post #26132669. #26140559, #26899449 are all replies on the same post.

jim_uk wrote: Where are the skills? they were absent during chargen and no mention was made of them, this looks like a perk, not a skill http://i.imgur.com/g3BFJ7E.png

I liked the Pipboy boot screen, some of the oldies will have recognised it...

http://i.imgur.com/6kQMhOY.gif
KiCHo666 wrote: There most likely won't be any skills. SPECIAL info doesn't mention them.
janishewski wrote: I'm okay with no skills. They were always the weak point in the special system anyway. It makes more sense to incorporate them into the perks and give you one every level.

I think they were deliberately omitted from the showcase. Notice the Pipboy app for the phone was much more advanced than the one in-game. Also you see skills in the requirements for crafting. The intelligence SPECIAL would be crippled without skills, not having them doesn't make sense, and the magazines are back, as we saw on the magazine rack in the garage. BUT, when you build magazine racks (as shown in crafting) the racks are empty, as if you're expected to add mags to them over time. Skills are surly back. More likely, the pip-boy we saw was unfinished or nerfed for the showcase for whatever reason.

In response to post #26152804. #26160334, #26167244, #26167844, #26169834, #26170174, #26174459, #26176529, #26182189, #26185329, #26203729, #26206854, #26210604, #26210639, #26222404, #26296969, #26330784 are all replies on the same post.

StonedDragonborn wrote: Well, pre-fallout era is stuck in the 50's. Spouse could be a beard.
momuse88 wrote: Oh, nivea, we both know that you're going to end up buying it. I'm not sure why you're making such a fuss about this anyways. I'm sure someone will also release an alternative start mod to salve your poor soul. Besides, I don't think developers necessarily limit our role-playing options by giving our character a backstory and emotional affiliations. For example, after having spent 30+ hours in the Witcher 3, I can honestly say that I'm more connected to him as my character than I ever was in Fallout or Skyrim. I don't attribute that to the voiced dialogue or hardcoded backstory, but to the availability of well-written options as well as a story that many of us can relate to. There were times when I was nice and there were times when I decided that I couldn't handle people's nonsense anymore. Despite my choices, Geralt always sounded like Geralt and never broke character. I'm okay with having a similar experience in Fallout 4. Honestly, the only people who might find the story completely irrelevant are homosexuals.

Family was signature in F3. Liam Nesson was your dad, how cool was that? In this game you're an experienced war veteran (probably means you don't need to wait forever, or run your ass off to OA for power armor training). The baby, let's face it, you're gonna meet up with him down the road, making The Lone Survivor, the not so lone survivor. EVERYONE wanted to see a little pre-war in fallout. You can BE whoever you want in the game, that's why I don't agree with your argument. The family juices up the story for me.

I don't want to be the bad guy but you're all extremely naive if you think the paid modding fiasco is over and you'll be able to enjoy FO4 like you do with 3, NV and TES. I wont rant or rave but their new website and latest interviews regarding paid mods should have everyone VERY concerned.

Your enjoyment is only important because it makes them money. And your enjoyment will never be more important than an opportunity for them to make even more money.

Edited by Mitigate