Oblivion and Quad Core

Alehnblivion

Ehy guys, this is my PC:

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q8300 2.50Ghz

3,5 Gb RAM

XP Professional Service Pack 3

Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 5600 1,1 Gb

It is a good computer. But, to be honest, Oblivion runs better on my old Pentium 4.

Yes, I already know that the game doesn't use multi-core technology and that having four processors working at 2,50 Ghz is worst than having one processor working at 3 Ghz.

The game stutters, in particular when I ride my horse. And this is very annoying! If I lower graphical settings, the situation doesn't change!

I am writing this thread for asking you an opinion:

1) Should I overclock my PC just before playing Oblivion, or do you think that this procedure is dangerous and that it's a shame doing it on a young PC?

2) Should I try to install Stream line?

3) The installation of Stream line requires the installation of OBSE (Oblivion script extender). But, for installing OBSE, I should know if I have a Steam version of the game or a Retail version: what's the way to understand it?

P.S.:

1) Two days ago I installed Oblivion stutter remover, but it doesn't give me any improvements.

2) I also changed some values in the .ini file (in Documents\My Games\Oblivion), according to an official guide: nothing happened.

3) The third thing I tried was a complex operation with shaders (suggested by another guide) and... no results again!

Please, help me.

3) The installation of Stream line requires the installation of OBSE (Oblivion script extender). But, for installing OBSE, I should know if I have a Steam version of the game or a Retail version: what's the way to understand it?

You mean to say that you do not know whether you have a retail version or not? Forgive me, but that sounds mighty fishy.

You mean to say that you do not know whether you have a retail version or not? Forgive me, but that sounds mighty fishy.

No, I don't forgive you. I don't understand why people judge others on forums. If I am an ignorant, I don't need a person to tell me this. None can judge others.

However, I am Italian, and it's normal that I don't know terms like "retail".

Retail normally means purchased in a store or from a site where they send you the actual disk.

Steam is an online game service where you download the game from them. You do not get a physical disk, only the download.

There are other sites where you can download, but many of them have never bothered to try to work with the modding community as Steam has. So downloading from some other site may mean the programs like OBSE will not work with their version - and they will not help you to make it work. If you have a pirate version, who knows what you have - or don't have.

about the multicore issue: look at Tweak Guides site, there is more about tweaks there that may be useful. One paragraph is dedicated to threaded processing and so, to enhance the multicore usage.

Just the engine is not optmized for it but still the performance increase is notable.

Many tweaks for Fallout 3 and even New Vegas can be take from there, although was found Fallout becomes unstable with more than 2 physical cores activated (but that's another history)

About OBSE, I know it can be used with steam, just don't know if a special version is needed.

Alehnblivion, if you don't know whether or not your version is retail (bought in a store) or Steam (bought online on their site), then everyone will assume you have a pirated copy. Piracy is frowned upon here. So what version do you have? You probably don't have Steam if you don't have any memory of downloading from that site.

That's what Hickory was driving at.

As for your problem, try Quiet Feet

http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1999

Making footstep sounds for 4-legged animals is commonly too much for on-board or low-end sound cards to handle.

(And people judge each other on forums because it's much easier to assume a block of text on a screen is indicative of the entire person who typed it, rather than give each person the benefit of the doubt once in a while. Type anything remotely wrong, and you'll be assumed to be an idiot. Bad grammar? Well, I speak English fluently, and I have wonderful grammar, so this person must be an idiot. Failure to understand how to install something? Well, I work in computer graphics, and I mod Oblivion for fun in my spare time. I know all about how to make video games and provide tech support to people I know and work with. Since I know so much, this person must be an idiot for failing to understand the almighty Read Me, which was written by another technically inclined person who assumed everyone knows how to organize large groups of files because he does.

In other words, people are short-sighted and only see what's in front of them. It's kind of like road rage. You see a car swerve ahead of you in your lane. "Oh, this person is an idiot who never should have gotten a license...." When in reality he's usually a flawless driver but he spilled some coffee on his pink dress shirt just then.)

Edited by Megatarius

I would be grateful if you got down off your soapbox and declined from speaking for me. Talk about hypocrisy.

If you've just put Oblivion on a new PC, try turning off antivirus temporarily. If the problem goes away, it may be a background real-time scan which will prescan EVERY darn file Oblivion accesses - all those dozens of ESP files, etc. If that helps, look at turning off the real time scan JUST for the Oblivion executable process, plus OBSE and OBGE if you use them. Edited by Wordsmith

I would be grateful if you got down off your soapbox and declined from speaking for me. Talk about hypocrisy.

The poster seemed unaware of what you meant, and I was clarifying it for him. Nothing more. Nothing less.