Manual mod installation?

roknexusstar

Hello, I'm playing DA:O with WINE on a linux machine. All is running fine but daupdater.exe can't work with wine, and the two utilities that manage the mods (found on nexus site) won't work too. So I would like to install mods manually. I would like to know where to put files extracted from the dazip files (actually they seems to be regular .zip files..., or at least unzip -l nameoffile.dazip show the list of files contained on the archive) and how to edit the xml files (and which files I have to edit) in order to have the mod available in the game. Also I would like to know if it is possible to manually install the DLC from bioware sites, if not I will not buy them from the online store.

Thank you.

Welcome, roknexusstar;

(I'll use PC-specific language here, since I have NO idea how this stuff maps over to a Linux box.)

In general, no program is needed. DAUpdater (and the others) simply handle some of the housekeeping chores. For MOST mods (and official DLC, for that matter) packaged as a ".dazip" file, simply rename to ".zip" and extract the folder(s) it contains into your "\[user's documents]\Bioware\Dragon Age\Addins" folder.

It should now appear on the in-game "Installed Content" screen, and you can select or de-select it by ticking the box.

BTW: ".dazip" format simply means that the files are packaged in the way the DAUpdater knows where they belong, which can vary depending on whether you have a retail disc, Steam, or D2D install of the game. As you correctly noted, the compression scheme is just "zip".

For mods that are packaged as a ".override" file, you're out of luck. Those REQUIRE "DAO-Modmanager", (although why DAMM wouldn't work with WINE, I'm not sure.)

For mods that are NOT packaged in either of these ways, you have to determine which folder is your equivalent for: "\[user's documents]\Bioware\Dragon Age\packages\core\override". THAT'S the one a mod author means when they say "just put it in your override folder."

Let us know how it goes!

(If you have further problems, let us know the exact mod. :thumbsup: )

• 6 years later...

Sorry for the many year old necro post, but I was reinstalling Dragon Age recently, and this was the top post when googling what I think is the same problem the OP had.

In my case, DAO-Modmanager was looking for two files that did not exist in a directory that was not yet created, and for whatever reason was not able to create them.

What you need to do is go to the mod folder at "My Documents/BioWare/Dragon Age" and create a directory named Settings. In that directory, create two new files called AddIns.xml and DAModManager_Override.xml.

If you leave either file blank, it will give an error saying "An error occurred while reading the DAModmanager_Override.xml Root element is missing. they want the file repair?". Clicking yes will do nothing, but you can fix this by going to each file and simply editing in a top level root element that is literally just "<root></root>".

After this, the Mod manager should work. At least, it did for me.

I know that I'm years too late for the OP, but hopefully if anyone stumbles across this thread later with the same issue, like I did, this will help them solve the problem.

• 3 months later...

Sorry for the many year old necro post, but I was reinstalling Dragon Age recently, and this was the top post when googling what I think is the same problem the OP had.

In my case, DAO-Modmanager was looking for two files that did not exist in a directory that was not yet created, and for whatever reason was not able to create them.

What you need to do is go to the mod folder at "My Documents/BioWare/Dragon Age" and create a directory named Settings. In that directory, create two new files called AddIns.xml and DAModManager_Override.xml.

If you leave either file blank, it will give an error saying "An error occurred while reading the DAModmanager_Override.xml Root element is missing. they want the file repair?". Clicking yes will do nothing, but you can fix this by going to each file and simply editing in a top level root element that is literally just "<root></root>".

After this, the Mod manager should work. At least, it did for me.

I know that I'm years too late for the OP, but hopefully if anyone stumbles across this thread later with the same issue, like I did, this will help them solve the problem.

hey dude, check out this video