I wish there was a third civil war option, so I propose that you could make your own civil war faction called the Dragon Knights or something. You would be based in a sub-hold of Whiterun hold near Rorikstead called Dovah Hold. There you as the Dragonborn will lead a campaign to unite skyrim under the banner of the Dovahkiin.

This way you will never have to attack Whiterun. Balgruf would-be your chief supporter,and you would expand your territory from there. Besides the conquering, each hold will have a side quest to strengthen your army. For instance when you capture The Reach your army will have dwarven armor and weaponry, or when you capture Winterhold your army will be assisted by magi.

When you finally unite all holds, you will be crowned high king, and rule from Dovah Hold.

I like this idea. Both sides of the Civil War have their minuses. I played a Breton character who was neutral in the Civil War. The Thalmor would try to kill him on sight and send assassins after him, so he is not a fan of the Imperials. The Nords think of him as a milk drinker, so he's not cozy with them, either. In the main quest, a certain faction wanted him to kill some creature that he liked, so he abandoned that faction and stopped recruiting for them. Instead, after I installed the Kinghts of the Nine mod, he rebuilt the Kings of the Nine. With UFO, he can have up to 15 followers - a small army!

• 1 month later...

What if, after you do the main quest, you've defeated Alduin and proved your mastery of the Voice... and you DO have your own army.

Dragons.

Imagine sieging Windhelm with Ohdaviing and Paarthanax and Durhneviir by your side and a group of hardened warriors