Changes to forum structure

Dark0ne

In response to post #26349444. #26349864, #26352839, #26356864 are all replies on the same post.

M48A5 wrote:

I have read the latest notification of the changes being made to the nexus and even after re-reading it, I am still confused.

Is the thread "(Game Name) Uploaded files" being discontinued?

Having looked in Skyrim, Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas and Obilivion, the Uploaded files section is missing. That section was one that I checked religiously everyday to see if I could help someone with my limited knowledge.

If I understand your reply to Jim correctly, the only way to see if someone needs help would be to go to the individual mod page in Nexus Mods. Am I correct in this?

Dark0ne wrote: That's correct.
bethjunkie wrote: That's...disheartening. There are a quite a few users here who stroll through the file sections regularly looking to offer a bit of help. I've been helped by M48A5 and others in my own file threads and I've helped a number of people in other threads.
It helps take a bit of load off modders and gives users a way to give back.

Looking through the file threads to see the ones that were most recently commented on is also a great way to discover less popular mods you haven't heard of and rediscover older ones you've forgotten.
WhiskeyRiver2 wrote: I'm with bethjunkie. The now-deleted sections on the New Vegas forum (Uploaded Files and Uploaded Images primarily) were how I and a lot of people kept track of our work, responded to issues/rants, kept up on various stories on the imageshare, and once in a while found something interesting to check out in the process (seriously, I stumbled across half my current mod list just scrolling thru the forums).

Don't get me wrong, I understand why you did it (I've got a -little- bit of experience with forum/server upkeep), but IMHO it still f*#@in' sucks. Is there any chance of the UF/UI sections coming back?

Ouch. I've been reading file comments from there on my phone every day on my lunch hour for a couple of years. Going to miss it. I understand, though.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd been wondering about the missing Uploaded Files section, whether it was temporary or permanent. This is a pretty annoying change not only because it's more difficult to not only keep track of posts in mods you follow (without deliberately tracking said mod), but also because you could spot interesting new mods by browsing this section.

C'est la vie.

I can't login to the forums anymore. When I submit my user name and password the login page is shown again, and again, and again...

Also: why do we need two separate logins, one for the Nexus Mods and one for the Nexus Forums? Is it possible to login just once?

EDIT: I've been able to login to the forums now, don't know what happened.

Edited by PeterCroft

I'll weigh in as being disappointed that we can't see new posts and images. But I also understand that sometimes sacrifices are necessary to keep the overall system functioning.

Is there any way to at least list the mods that have new posts even if we can't see the posts (without going to the project page)? Probably not, but no harm asking.

I am impressed by the fact that the site is still ticking in some way or another. I feel confident that this is a process that works steadily onward to benefit us.

Dark One has kept his head cool and foreseen some of these problems coming and seems to head The Nexus in the right direction one more time.

A bigger threat in my point of view is if some "fat" investor is buying Dark One out of this one-of-a-kind site that The Nexus is. But as Dark One has pointed out, he is The Nexus and will therefore stay and fight the obsticles that threat us in different ways.

So, in short term: Hurrah for Dark One and The Nexus and the fans and modders all!!!!

Well, the changes on the Forums side of things is going to take some getting used to, as I am one of those members that spent most of their time reading comments and trying to help out from the forum side. I found it much easier to keep track of all the mods I followed than having to go through each Nexus game site. Oh well, I will manage, as the loss of a convenience is a small price to pay for a well maintained site. :)

In response to post #26376289.

spiderexpert wrote: Using a PHP forum engine as a backend is a really bad idea. A custom engine written in a high-performance compiled language like C# to replace Invision is years overdue.

We're not using the forum software to run the sites, the forum software just runs the forums. We're making use of the forum database from which we connect our custom backend to.

As in, we don't use any forum PHP in the sites. Forums run forums. Sites run sites. Sites connect to forum database through custom site PHP. Edited by Dark0ne