Is there a script to change ownership of a cell?

angelmendez003

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey sloppy, I added that code to the script and so far so good no errors when compiled. I'm going to test it out soon and see what happens. I appreciate your help, you have no idea how frustrating it was to get this part of my mod running. I still got some things that need to be done left for example I will need to do some research on how to make actors travel to the player and prompt them to ask the player what they want to buy from the player's inventory. Other then that I am one step closer to finishing my first mod. If your interested in helping me out with this mod you are more than welcome too.

Thanks again,

Edited by angelmendez003

I looked up the SEQ problem and I did just like the instructions say but no luck on that. I bet its something that I tinkered with and for some reason the quest is totally broken. When I switch the quest to run on start up it works but then when I talk to the merchant's they don't have the topic to buy the shop. Is there any way I can send you my mod file so you can check it out if you can? What files would i need to zip up to you?

No luck on the SEQ?

The SEQ wasn't generated or SEQ file generated fine but still no dialogue?

Did you use that dodgy Steam method of generating a SEQ file that usually hangs and crashes.

TES5Edit is the simple and quick way to generate a valid SEQ file.

Zip up the esp along with any scripts/fragments that the mod/dialogue uses.

If the mod is small enough you can attach it to your post.

If the mod is 1MB ~ 3Mb then upload it to a free host (Not mega .com as I won't enable java, scripts or flash for that pos site)

ZippyShare is fine for me as I can leave script blocking on, java disabled, flash disabled and still upload and download from it without the spam.

Any bigger then 3MB the I won't be able to download it as I'm on a limited pay per MB connection.

Also the same if your mod depends on other mod resources, then I can't download those other mods that it requires.

well I generated the file with the steam method but the file shows that its 0 ks so I'm assuming it was a failure. Now its weird because the quest was working fine but now is when it doesn't work. It could be something that i did by mistake so I would like your opinion on that, if everything seems fine then I will try the command prompt method.

Yeah the mod is very small and I think I only used one script fragment which is just for the adding and removing of gold and a book I created. You can find this book at the AAA delete when done Jeremy room which is like the first interior room I think.

The book's id is PMStoreManualMerchant

quest's id is PMProfessionMod

Here is the zip file and I really do appreciate you helping me out, if there was a recommendation button or like button I would totally click it. :smile:

Part of the reason your dialogue doesn't show.

(Major reason) You have set the quest as:

Quest Data Tab -> Event -> Actor Dialogue Event.

But you didn't add your quest to the Story Manager to match the event:

Object Window -> Character ->SM Event Node -> Actor Dialogue Event

Story Manager started quests don't need a SEQ file.

You have the Condition on the Quest Data Tab for GetInFaction is flagged as Swap Subject and Target.

Needs to not be flagged.

You can actually move that condition onto the Story Manager branch node instead of the quest.

This way the node won't fire the quest unless the condition is met.

So I changed the above and the Quest fires.

Really lagged when I fired the quest via the dialogue, but it did fire at least :smile:

lol

If your wanting to make it so you can run the quest more times with other merchants, you'll need to change how your giving the book.

Since you have one reference of the book as a specific reference alias placed in a cell, then you will only be able to offer that 1 book (which the player will already have after the first merchant purchase).

Maybe instead leave the specific reference unfilled.

When it gets to the stage the player is to be given the book, then spawn the book disabled using PlaceAtMe, force the spawned reference into the reference alias using ForceRefTo, then put the book in the player inventory.

(Not tested this, but it should work)

Also it means you won't need a book dropped in a vacant cell and be less limited.

You also need to add a lot of condition checks here and there to make sure quest stages and dialogues are in sync for where the player is up to.

Also when completing the quest, clear the book reference from the quest, so it's ready to be fired again.

Other things to consider with the book is using Text Replacement so each book refers to the merchant you purchased the shop from.

Making each book a little unique from the last book.

Damn you got a lot of work ahead of you, going by what the book says, hope you get it all going.

It's the type of thing I would have liked to have done..

I was looking at similar, but just for an Alchemy Shop.

Buy the shop, fix it up, hire someone to look after the shop, while i go out and find the product for clients.

So customers come in and ask for some obscure ingredients and I have a deadline to provide them with the goods or they shop elsewhere.

With each successful order filled, I get more customers... etc

ahhh I've tried putting the quest into the story manager like instructed but still nothing showed up. I even took the trouble in starting a new game file and still no luck. Can you send me the file back because for some reason it doesn't work for me. This is what i did:

I created a new branch and added the quest node into it.

I made the sm branch have the condition of the getinfaction. I tried to set it to run as a subject and as a target but nothing happens either way.

I ran the game with the conditions on for the dialogue views but nothing, then i deleted all of the conditions in the quest and left only the SM with the condition but all failed.

This quest is designed that you will be able to "buy" a stand or store building of any NPC that's in the JobMerchantFaction. So for example, in whiterun outside you see merchants selling their items in stands, you can "buy" their stand, or go into a shop and "buy" the shop. Now the reason why I say "buy" with quotation marks is because your not really buying the shop, all your doing is giving gold to the NPC and switching all the NPC's owned items and cells so it can become yours. I'm not sure if there is going to be any conflict with the NPC's actual house and ownership but what I know is that most of them live in their shops either way.

As for what you have mentioned about the book in my quest, The book applies to all shops no matter where you buy your shop, the only thing I really need to do is create a container check script so that if the player has the book already then there is no need to give the player another one.

I was thinking of placing a quest marker for each player owned cell so the player can see the exact location of all the shops they currently owned.

Besides that I understand its going to take a lot of conditioning and tweaking to get the transitions of the stage correct. My main concern is figuring out how to allow NPCs to go into the shop and ask the player for a random item that they have in their current inventory, since this is a general merchant shop there is no specific items you need to sell or produce for the customer. If I can get this done then I'll do the same for the other professions like blacksmithing which will require job orders and it must be done at a specific time frame.

When you mentioned about your alchemy shop idea it got me to wonder that if all of this does not work then I can try to make this mod easier by making a simple spell or something that can activate the quest I'm making but to allow the user to build his own shop with the hearthfire plugin. I think this approach would be 10x easier and will allow the player to customize the shop and actually grow it. Lol I might actually do this instead of all of this trouble, what do you think I should do? We can make this mod as a team because im sure its going to take a lot of work and a lot of things that I have no idea on how to do. The only thing im really good at right now is to use the quest manager and a few easy scripts and conditions. :D