Fallout 4 on Low end PCs?

DonnieBrasco453

Well i wouldnt say "barely" run, Skyrim is actually quite playable and smooth on low settings on my PC. But yes, i do think an upgrade might be necessary to run Fallout 4 this time around

You can find out more about your PC via various applications - if it's a pre-build (e.g. an Asus) you can probably just open up System Properties (right click on Computer -> Properties, and it should have model/manufacturer information, which (as bben said) we can look up and probably tell you more about what's inside. Alternately, just open it up yourself and see what's stamped on the power supply and if it has a PCI Express x16 slot available.

So after looking around on my computer's box i saw a label that read: Product Model: CM6870

I believe that is the model of the particular computer i am using, and i think the full name of the computer is "Asus Essentio CM6870"

Essentio CM6870 looks like a fairly standard mid tower box - meaning a standard size replacement Power supply should fit..

Graphic card is a Nvidia Geforce GT 545M - a fairly weak GPU intended for laptops and not for desktops - meaning it is an integrated card and not a separate part.

According to the Nvidia specs, it is stripped down to save power. And likely is sharing ram with the system memory - not a problem as you do have enough. BUT - often these integrated GPUs have limited capability to use more than about 512M of ram.

I wasn't able to find an exact wattage on the power supply, but Asus is known for being cheap with their PS.

I also wasn't able to find the motherboard, but it looks like there is a PCIE slot available for an add on video card. Again MEASURE the space available - both length and height first - then some video cards do take up 2 slots in width ( they only plug into one, but overlap the slot next to it. )

I see. So the best course of action would be to measure the space i have inside my PC, and in turn see which video card and power supply would be able to fit inside?

i dont think you can from the sound of it. u might have to upgrade your GPU and your power supply (if u can open you case up look to see the size of it. it bee a good idea to have something over 600.. (mine is 600-650 and i run a gtx 970 )

@BlueSpikeBoy That is also an option. Problem is, I don't know whether or not my power supply could handle it. The reason why I believe the 750ti to be a good choice is because I have heard from many sources that it is a very power efficient card.

Edited by DonnieBrasco453

It shouldn't be too hard to slide the side panel off your case and see what it says on the PSU - that'll pretty much address the question at hand. As far as the 750/750 Ti - it doesn't use much power relative to other modern cards, and is a good choice for more compact systems or if you don't have a massive power supply (or budget). It would be a good improvement over an IGP.