Simple for you, agony for me : A beginners struggle for a (modded) best friend.

Alright I'll cut right to the chase. I've been playing New Vegas since 2010. I got a good PC in 2013 and have been playing it with mods ever since. Recently I had the genious idea that "Hey, I love mods. I have a s*** load of free time. Wynaut learn to make some!"

Honestly guys all I want is a dog. That's it. Just a dog. I've spent the last 2 days looking at tutorial after tutorial and something always f*#@s up. I even read that html-guide thing that I'm sure someone was gonna suggest, I literally get lost at step 1 ("oh the click the script thing then click word script." Yea I don't see that option oh well next guide)

In the tutorial I'm watching now I'm at the part where (here's a link that sends you to the exact part I get f***ed up at) the guy selects his newly created NPC and simply drags it into the game world. Simple right? So easy a caveman could do it.

Yeaa not for me. It probably has something to do with the fact that I'm adding in a creature instead of an NPC, but when I drag it in nothing appears in the worldspace-viewer...thing. I know for a fact its not the worldspace-viewer-thing because I can easily drag in other creatures and NPCs. So I'm stuck, frustrated, and more than a little hungry. Another thing, I don't know if its relevant but when I click on the Show Preview box for the creature I've affectionately named Jasper, it stays grey. No model shows up, no cute little Legion Mongrel face appears.

If anyone, anyone could help me i would be incredibly grateful. I get that this is a very mediocre task for most of you, but I really do want to try my hand at modding and hate to just give up before I've even begun.

Below are some screenshots I've taken for your viewing pleasures. I'm not a photographer or anything but I think these came out pretty swell.

http://oi60.tinypic.com/112hqir.jpg

http://oi62.tinypic.com/2drg9so.jpg

http://oi61.tinypic.com/o10qyq.jpg

Did you select a model for it? Creatures are different in that respect to NPC's (NPC's have race setting which is where their body and head are assigned). In Jaspers Creature info click the right arrow next to the tabs and modellist will pop up.

Hope that helps,

Geoff

EDIT - A little more info

If you created new rather than duplicate a dog then you got more work ahead of you.

1) Rename 01Jaspertest3 to jasperorig or w/e. Then duplicate CrDog and set all the info up as you have for the original one name it 01JasperTest3 set up all the ai packs etc the same (if you setup dialogue options already) Otherwise name it w/e you want.

or

2) Extract the dog skeleton from FalloutNV meshes BSA (not sure if just adding the skele to meshes\creatures\dog\ folder will unlock all the anims etc or not but try just the skeleton first). If no anims and models appear you gotta extract all of those as well. option 1 is easier, just saying.

Right. So first of thanks so much for helping me out.

I have no clue what do do haha. I clicked on Jaspers creature info and went to model list. There I see a couple of options, among them are Skeleton and Body Part Data. Skeleton is empty, Body Part Data is "DefaultBodyPartData". What should I put in the skeleton option?

Concerning if Jasper was a new dog rather than a duplicate, all I did was edit the Legion Mongrel creature data, I followed what most tutorials told me to do : I found the Legion Mongrel creature, right clicked it, clicked new, and edited the Id and name. Haven't even gotten to scripting yet (although in a prior test I managed to make the AI Packages. They didn't save for some reason though) I don't know if that classifies as a new creature, but if it does I'll try to do the first option you provided.

Right. So first of thanks so much for helping me out.

I have no clue what do do haha. I clicked on Jaspers creature info and went to model list. There I see a couple of options, among them are Skeleton and Body Part Data. Skeleton is empty, Body Part Data is "DefaultBodyPartData". What should I put in the skeleton option?

Concerning if Jasper was a new dog rather than a duplicate, all I did was edit the Legion Mongrel creature data, I followed what most tutorials told me to do : I found the Legion Mongrel creature, right clicked it, clicked new, and edited the Id and name. Haven't even gotten to scripting yet (although in a prior test I managed to make the AI Packages. They didn't save for some reason though) I don't know if that classifies as a new creature, but if it does I'll try to do the first option you provided.

If you right click on anything and click New as you did with mongrel you will get a blank slate. You gotta right click and duplicate it will come out as something like CrDogDUPLICATECOPY000 or along those lines.

AHAHA I been working to long with other things. Duplicate shows up for cells. With CrDog just open the creature and change the name and ID and save it. My bad. But yeah just open up CrDog and change its name and ID.

Geoff

There's no duplicate button, so I was stuck there for awhile.

However, I did just try something else, and it seemed to have work.

In Jaspers main page, when I clicked edit on him, there was an option on the bottom left called Template Data, and in it a category called Actor Base. I shifted through the options and found Legion Mongrel. I selected and it gave me the option to use Models and Animations from the vanilla Mongrel! Checked out the skeleton and even saw it in-game, every seems to be working fine so far. Is this okay to do? Like I said, I'm super new at this, so if there's any reason I shouldn't go about it this way please let me know. Here's a screenshot of the option I picked alongside the model,

http://oi59.tinypic.com/i2q7th.jpg

*ah, just saw your edit, I'll keep that in mind, let me know if that's the smarter thing to do*

If I remember correctly if you use the mongrel template you can't customize it's stats, Factions or AI Data, etc. So if you are NCR he will be aggressive towards you eventually. Boone might out right kill him or keep it unconscious, so on and so forth. Best thing would be to just use CrDog and change it's id and name that way you can edit all those goodies to your liking.

Yea that sounds like it'd be trouble haha.

I'm not 100% sure though, I'm gonna test it out in game. When I go to edit, it still lets me assign factions (which I set to playerfaction) and I edited his stats to be like Rex. Plus, I spawned him in the 188, and they're all NCR if I remember correctly. They seemed to be fine with him?