Any good Pirate games?

hoofhearted4

I just recently rewatched all 4 Pirates of the Carribbean movies, and forgot how much i love them. just love the boats and the fact that as clearly unrealistic as it is, at one time it was all thought to be legitimate. The Flying Dutchman, The Kraken, The edge of the world, and so on. That at one time, people really lived lives as sea.

Anyways, It got me in the mood to want to continue setting myself in that fantasy, but I dont really know of anything of that genre. I know AC4, but i still havent finished Brotherhood and its been like over 2 years since I last touched it, so it's not likely ill be jumping to AC4 any time soon.

I dont really care for the game type, if it involves Pirates I'll consider it. So does anyone know of anything I can play to nail the thirst? PC first and foremost, but I'll consider PS3 and even Android games as well.

Thanks!

I tried AC4 (it came free with my Xbox One) - I wasn't significantly impressed with it as a "pirate game," but it does have pirates and pretty visuals (it plays a lot like Unity and other stealth/tactical games than anything else from the few hours I spent with it). On PC, I've heard good things about Sea Dogs, and its sequel (which is actually branded Pirates of the Carribbean, but reportedly has nothing to do with the movies); I picked up Sea Dogs from GOG during their recent sale, but I haven't gotten around to installing it yet - both of them are touted as pirate RPGs. I also vaguely remember a pirate mod or two existing for Morrowind and Oblivion (and the DLC "Thieves Den" for Oblivion too); I'm not honestly aware of anything of that nature for Skyrim. Certainly wouldn't be an entire game in that case, more of a gameplay add-on.

Empire Total War also includes pirates and a carribbean theater), but you cannot play as the pirates (you can fight with them though). There's also "Sid Meier's Pirates!" which I admittedly know very little about other than its existence (I think GOG sells that one too).

Sid Meier's Pirates is one of the best pirate themed games. Even it's pretty old.

I'm suprised I can't find many mods for it. Looks it's very easy to mod. There is this PakBuild tool that extracts files and game uses Nif's and DDS just like Bethesda games. I have made few texturereplacers for it, also made my custom ENB.

Then there is this new game called Raven's cry. I looks good, I haven't played it though.

And found out something called Pirates of Black Cove, that seems to be strategy game.

Unfortunately most of this genre has not seen many decent games in recent years.

Risen series might be worth taking a look at, but graphics are a bit dated and it's more like a pirate themed adventure game instead of being a pirate game (no ship to ship type stuff).

Age of Sail (early access) might be worth looking at, but is more military combat with wooden ships than piracy with the current builds.

Arche Age has some reasonable navel combat and piracy for a MMO... But is actually P2W (not just in the sense that the kids use it) and is being run by a company who frankly just wants to make a stupid amount of money from it. It's playable, it's a MMO, but unless you're max level, properly skilled and geared (read as buying RNG boxes for rare materials for RNG crafting, where you need to complete 9-10 crafting steps with decreasing odds of success, after hundreds of hours raising skill), and have several hundred people (100 person raid size, several raids in a fleet) to go pirating with... You are just going to be prey.

There were a few pirate type games at E3 this year, but those may be some time before there is anything meaningful to show for it.

I would of course not recommend Pixel Piracy... Despite being published by the same people that made Terraria, it loses its charm quickly due to the difficulty in starting it and how easy it is for everything to just suddenly go wrong. Being a roguelite makes things potentially worse since there isn't much of a place to learn the game's mechanics (due to being randomly generated) meanwhile those mechanics are very quick to just slap you in the face repeatedly without even telling you their name.