Slow quicksaving.

Benbone

Hi, first of, im not native to english, i understand everything but I may be a bit wierd with spelling and grammar, Ill try to be as clear as possible.

It started with that it took over 10 seconds for me to quicksave. I had messed around with some mods so I reinstalled the game and the mods yesterday ( removed all old saves to and started from scratch.). And for the first time i tried to have a nice load order based on pinned threads on this forum.

The game was fine except that it crashed 90% of the time when i loaded a save, but its not the worst thing ive encountered with all my mods. (I know, i got too many.)

Then when I began to play today the old problems appeared again, it takes over 10 sec for me to quicksave, and even longer for the sleep-timer (?) to start, the game freezes and i sit and wait for around 20 to 30 secs for it to start.

Then one old disabled mod began to ghost my game, i downloaded immersive citizens ai overhaul when it came out and for some reasons I didnt get along with it, but today some features from it appears in my new game, which means that some npcs are where they shouldnt and other stuff that i encountered while the mod was active. How can this be happening? Ive read that it was a myth that old mods survived reinstallations and "ghosted" around but its clearly happening to me now.

What can cause that my game freezes when i try to quicksave? I can get along with the "ghost" and so on but the slow quicksave is driving me a little insane, if anyone can help me or at least had a similar problem please write, im open to almost anything (except for sacrificing goats in the moonlight :P )

PS. I would have attached a file with my loadorder, but im not quite clear with how to do that..

• 3 weeks later...

I'm experiencing the same issue too. Manual saving has no problem since it takes me 2 seconds. But quicksaving takes me a long time. Even quicksaving indoors can take me around 10 seconds. Autosaving has the same issue too which consequently takes me a long time to fast travel, wait, and rest.

I later discovered that deleting the existing quicksaves and autosaves before saving seems to solve the problem. But if I've to do so, then why don't I save manually? Plus deleting a quicksave/autosave manually and quicksaving/autosaving afterwards is much faster than letting the game do it.

My situation is not that worse as yours since I've been careful with modding so I haven't had a CTD since the last reinstallation. I'm thinking if it's related to certain mods but I clearly have no idea.

Anyone else with that problem? I've just got that "longsave" thing yesterday tryed reinstall and stuff but nothing helps. At start saves working fine (i'm using alternate start so when i just create character and still in prison saving working perfectly no matter what) but when i actually start playing saves taking ~10 seconds. As i saw its always that long when im trying to rewrite already exsisting save (same name) so if i write in console "save Q" and i already got save named "Q" it will take ~10sec with new saves all works perfectly. :S

Anyone else with that problem? I've just got that "longsave" thing yesterday tryed reinstall and stuff but nothing helps. At start saves working fine (i'm using alternate start so when i just create character and still in prison saving working perfectly no matter what) but when i actually start playing saves taking ~10 seconds. As i saw its always that long when im trying to rewrite already exsisting save (same name) so if i write in console "save Q" and i already got save named "Q" it will take ~10sec with new saves all works perfectly. :S

Exactly the same problem here. Guess we've bad luck. :sad:

How many mods do you guys have installed? Do you have a lot of active scripts?

Mod lists and game versions are essential guys.

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/1592053-how-to-ask-for-help/

Sorry for not providing the information. I have the latest version of Skyrim Legendary Edition, SKSE 1.7.3 and am using NMM 0.55.8. Below is my mod list:

Skyrim.esm=1
Update.esm=1
Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp=1
Dawnguard.esm=1
Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp=1
HearthFires.esm=1
Unofficial Hearthfire Patch.esp=1
Dragonborn.esm=1
Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.esp=1
Skyrim Project Optimization - Full Version.esm=1
HighResTexturePack01.esp=1
HighResTexturePack02.esp=1
HighResTexturePack03.esp=1
Unofficial High Resolution Patch.esp=1
Brawl Bugs CE.esp=1
Duelist - One Handed Perk - Spellsword Edition.esp=1
SkyUI.esp=1
iHUD.esp=1
AHZmoreHUD.esp=1
TheChoiceIsYours_Dragonborn.esp=1
TheChoiceIsYours.esp=1
TheChoiceIsYours_Dawnguard.esp=1
Auto Unequip Ammo.esp=1
Auto Unequip Helmet.esp=1
VendorSaleDelay-Gone.esp=1
Headtracking.esp=1
XPMSE.esp=1
HHairstyles.esp=1
RaceMenuPlugin.esp=1
RaceMenu.esp=1
dD - Realistic Ragdoll Force - Realistic.esp=1
SBF All In One + DLC.esp=1
AOS.esp=1
WetandCold.esp=1
AOS2_WetandCold Patch.esp=1
WetandCold - Ashes.esp=1
mintylightningmod.esp=1
WondersofWeather.esp=1
Guard Dialogue Overhaul.esp=1
AOS2_GDO Patch.esp=1
Combat Evolved.esp=1
dD - Enhanced Blood Main.esp=1
AOS2_EBT Patch.esp=1
dD-Dragonborn-Dawnguard-EBT Patch.esp=1
TrueStorms.esp=1
AOS2_TrueStorms Patch.esp=1
TrueStorms-PureWeather.esp=1
DeadlyDragons.esp=1
AOS2_DD Patch.esp=1
RelightingSkyrim_Legendary.esp=1
Immersive Citizens - AI Overhaul.esp=1
ELE_Legendary_Lite.esp=1
Immersive Citizens - ELE patch.esp=1
Purity.esp=1
AOS2_Purity Patch.esp=1
Book Covers Skyrim.esp=1
LostGrimoire.esp=1
Immersive Patrols II.esp=1
Slightly Reduced Distance NPC Greetings.esp=1
HonedMetal.esp=1
DYNAVISION Dynamic Depth of Field.esp=1
Alternate Start - Live Another Life.esp=1

Sorry for not providing the information. I have the latest version of Skyrim Legendary Edition, SKSE 1.7.3 and am using NMM 0.55.8. Below is my mod list:

<snip>

Thanks, can you also tell me how big your save file is? A quicksave one and a hard save. You can find them in your \Documents\My Games\Skyrim\Saves folder

How many saves do you have altogether?

Also whilst you're in \Documents\My Games\Skyrim can you go into your Skyrim.ini and copy paste the section under [Papyrus]?

I can't really see any particular mod that may be causing such a long saving times, so potentially you may be suffering from a save bloat somehow.

Do you often install and uninstall mods?

<snip>

Thanks, can you also tell me how big your save file is? A quicksave one and a hard save. You can find them in your \Documents\My Games\Skyrim\Saves folder

Also whilst you're in \Documents\My Games\Skyrim can you go into your Skyrim.ini and copy paste the section under [Papyrus]?

I can't really see any particular mod that may be causing such a long saving times, so potentially you may be suffering from a save bloat somehow.

Thanks so much for the prompt reply and help! There are 3 autosaves, 1 quicksave, and 1 hard save. So 5 in total. The quicksave is 5.56MB and the hard save is 5.81MB. They are rather new since I decided to start over with a new character so I deleted all my old saves and made new ones. Below is my Papyrus setting:

[Papyrus]
fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS=500.0
bEnableLogging=1
bEnableTrace=1
bLoadDebugInformation=1
I haven't been installing and uninstalling mods much as I already have my own set of mods that always stays. When I try and install new mods for my existing character, I'll make new hard saves for them. Every time after I uninstall those mods, I'll load up my older hard saves and delete the saves made for mod testing.
Edited by azuremaroon

<snip>

Thanks so much for the prompt reply and help! There are 3 autosaves, 1 quicksave, and 1 hard save. So 5 in total. The quicksave is 5.56MB and the hard save is 5.81MB. They are rather new since I decided to start over with a new character so I deleted all my old saves and made new ones. Below is my Papyrus setting:

[Papyrus]
fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS=500.0
bEnableLogging=1
bEnableTrace=1
bLoadDebugInformation=1
I haven't been installing and uninstalling mods much as I already have my own set of mods that always stays. When I try and install new mods for my existing character, I'll make new hard saves for them. Every time after I uninstall those mods, I'll load up my older hard saves and delete the saves made for mod testing.

So on this new set of saves, quick saving is still taking a long time?

Those saves don't indicate much of a problem, however by comparison, my saves are only 7.5Mb and I'm level 12 and I've been playing for 6 and a half hours with 98 mods.

So back at your mod list, (note this is mostly guess work) try turning off:

Auto Unequip Ammo.esp=1
Auto Unequip Helmet.esp=1
Immersive Patrols II.esp=1

And let me know how the times go. As to why those mods, Auto Unequips potenitally run a constant process in the background thus using resources, meaning longer save times.

Immersive Patrols on the other hand just add a lot of content of which it has to save more info. For instance say you're in the Whiterun Tundra and there is one random event, the game has to save that one random event's postiion data etc. So with Patrols there is now 4 random events in that square, so it now has to save more. If you understand what I mean?

Your Papyrus seems okay aswell, you could try turning off logging, trace and load debug info, I have those off and my times are fine. They are only really needed for mod testing etc.

I have been having the same problem and I think it might be Mod Organizer or related to it.

I was trying to isolate the problem and made a new profile (copying the original one) and noticed the save time was back to normal after a few tests.

So now I usually have to make a new profile every time I start up skyrim.

This is a new problem though so it might be the newest version of Mod Organizer that is causing this?

Hope this helps

Edited by Eikinskjoldur