Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Edition Patch [USLEEP]

Arthmoor

I was wondering, wouldn't it be possible to write script deleting specific dlcs data from USLEEP.esp (manually unpacked or for TES5Edit)? It would be an additional step for those not using legendary edition, but it would allow them to use latest version.

There will be a lot of confusion on nexus during USKP>USLEEP transition. Users will try to get a hold of mod authors of USKP dependant files, asking for updated version. The idea of having just 1 patch .esp is nice, it's just too bad it was introduced so late. I just hope that most of conflicts will be easily solved with changing master file name for mod conflict patches in TES5Edit5.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a quick update for everyone who may be wondering. Internal testing is going well and we look to be on track for an October beta release - or possibly before the end of September if things go really well. We've been able to confidently say that updating mid-game to USLEEP won't have any negative side effects on your saves, which came as a great relief. Major quest lines for the MQ and factions all appear to be working flawlessly as well. We're still keeping an eye out for ol' Murphy though. Everyone here knows he's lurking, cause that's what he does. :dry:

They're all going to be left alone since it would be too much work for no benefit at all to bother doing that.

Going forward though, anything that requires a new form of some sort will have USLEEP in the ID. Scripts, since they're limited to a 4 letter code, with be prefixed with USLP when we need them to add to things.

As many of you may remember, last year around this time we conducted a poll on whether or not it was the right time to consider unifying the unofficial patches into a single package. At the time, about 25% of those who responded to the poll were still in a position where they did not have all 3 DLCs for the game. So we decided against merging everything at that time.

Fast forward to today, it's become quite clear that that 25% is far less than it was, and more and more people have been asking when we're going to be doing this. This post is your answer. :smile:

The one big problem I am seeing here is that the 25% you mention here is 25% of people who participated in the poll. How many people participated in, or ever were aware of, the poll versus the number of people who play Skyrim with the Unofficial Patches?

Other than saving a few plugin slots, what are the benefits of USLEEP, and how do they outweigh the fact that every single mod that affects anything that is also changed in the Unofficial Patches will have to be redone, including many by authors who don't even keep track of what's going on in and around Skyrim anymore? If I use even one of those mods, I will have to load MORE plugins, because I will need the original Unofficial patches plus USLEEP.

That was a poll covering hundreds of users on at least 8 sites around the community. I am told that it's statistically sound and that it's reliable enough to base decisions on.

As for the benefits, read the OP. It's all been laid out there and if you think this is all being done for the sake of some plugin slots, you're mistaken.

You may not be aware of it, but we rarely make our decisions based on what other authors are or are not doing. That way lies madness since waiting to see what they'd do would paralyze the entire project. Do keep in mind too that attempting to run both the USKP and USLEEP in the same load order will condemn any save you do that with to Oblivion. Simple common sense should tell you that.

This is not a decision that was made lightly. Everyone who is still involved with the community knew this was coming for over a year, and anyone else should be well aware of it after seeing the threads I've posted in various places.

Just sayin', there are going to be problems. I know there are going to be some mode that I will have to stop using if I want to use USLEEP/mods that require it.

But thanks for the clarification about the poll, that does a lot for my confidence about the whole thing, and the quick response. As a mod user who is pretty much incapable of making my own mods, I am pretty much at the mercy of those who can.

Heh. If there were no problems that might come up, I'd have to pinch myself to make sure I wasn't in a pocket plane of Oblivion set up by Sheogorath :P

We've done as much as we can to ensure a smooth transition on our end.

I've never installed any of the unofficial patches but have been putting a lot of thought into doing so now (I've simply always been worried that some of my mods will wind up being incompatible, leading to an even less stable game than I already have. Skyrim is a finicky little b****).

Would you recommend that I go ahead and install all the patches (minus HD, as I don't use it) now and then update with the oncoming release, or would it be better just to wait?

Speaking for myself, I don't think I've ever seen a Mod that was dependant on USKP. The Unofficial patches (all) fix errors/bugs left (not fixed) by Bethesda in the Skyrim.eam , Update.esm , Dawngaurd , Dragonborn , and Hearthfire I believe. So any mods you have should work whether you get all the Unofficial patches or wait to get USLEEP. Plus make sure to clean your files with TesVedit (Do Not Clean your Skyrim.esm) if your having problems plus LOOT to help with your load order.

Edited by maxx130