White Horse

ElioraArin

I absolutely love the white horse texture in Shogun3d's Enhanced Horse Skins, but I also like the original palomino skin it replaces - is anyone aware of a mod that utilises this particularly nice "white slightly flecked with grey" texture in a stand alone option that adds a new horse?

• 3 months later...

To anyone else who is interested I haven't been able to find a standalone version of a white horse, only retextures that change the colour of original horses, & I haven't been able to create a standalone horse myself :sad: I have however discovered "Frost & Solitude Horses White Retex" by Xazomn which is particularly beautiful. For a long time I didn't use it as I like the palomino horses that it replaces, but I just found it is very easy to choose which horses it makes white by changing the number used in the texture files the mod adds - use the following numbers to make the corresponding horses white:

horse01 = Windhelm Bay

horse02 = Solitude Palomino

horse03 = Riften Dapple Grey

horse04 = Whiterun Black (which is really more dark brown!)

horse05 = Markath Pinto

I hate the pinto so have made it white & been able to keep the palomino!

You can also download a mod that adds a standalone horse & then make that horse white. Manually download Xazomn's or Shogun3d's mod to a non game folder, open the in game folder of the standalone horse mod, copy & rename Xazomn's or Shogun3d's texture file to the exact name of the standalone texture, replace the original standalone texture with your copy.

Although I prefer the white horse by Xazomn, Shogun3d has done some other really nice colours - such as a true black, black with white stockings, a grey dun, & enhanced versions of the original dapple grey, pinto & palomino. These all look great in my game either as recolours of the original horses or standalone replacements :smile:

Edited by ElioraArin

Thanks Boombro, I did try this repeatedly but sadly no joy though, it insisted on looking like the original duplicate no matter what I did. I opened my "Mennowar Horses" mod to see how the author created his standalones, I had to create four different duplicates & adjust them, & I think it had something to do with the skin I created not being used by the nakedhorse I created like it was supposed to be - I just couldn't figure out how to link the two together.

Edited by ElioraArin

From what I can see at the very least you need to duplicate an EncHorse, NakedHorse, SkinHorse & SkinHorseHide for each standalone you want to create. I think I am linking them all correctly to each other except for the SkinHorse & NakedHorse - for which I can't see anything obvious I should be doing. The author of "Mennowar Horses" mentioned he had used resources by AlienSlof & left a link - I thought I may be able to get a guide on what to do on that page, but it is no longer even available :sad:

Oh, & I don't think race is an issue, Mennowar adds the CartHorse as an additional race, but I tried using this when attempting to make a standalone & it didn't make any difference. I am about to see if I can just make some changes to Mennowar Horses & keep it purely for personal use - but I really wanted to add a unique horse to the house that I am working on & am hoping to upload when finished, so it is disappointing.

Edited by ElioraArin

It's been way too long since I did it, so I don't rmember exactly how I did it, but I made a white horse using resources that were available here on the nexus. You are free to duplicate mine & use it in your mod Since the skins were already available as a resource anyway. I made mine as a new horse too, not a replacer.

You're right, there wasn't a need for a new race, but the encounters for saddled & unsaddled, plus all the textures etc. were part of it. I knew little about modding when I did it. It was a trial & error thing :)

Edited by ToppDog

Thanks ToppDog, I'm sorry I didn't even see your post so you must have posted while I was typing my last message! I would be very interested in any textures for horses, as now that I've figured out what to do I can make them very quickly & am planning on creating a mod that adds them to towns that don't have them - I would also like to try & put in a horse in each hold that will become available for free once you have been made Thane, not sure if I'll succeed on that one though ... it might be a bit ambitious for me ;D

Try Automatic Variants. It will replace textures too, but it is highly configurable, you can adjust the textures it uses to have just the white and the vanilla colours, so you will still get the vanilla colours but the white one is still pretty likely to show up. Every stable will have a random selection of horses. It makes buying a horse a bit of an adventure, a quest to find the one you really love. if the one you want doesn't show up as a purchasable horse, disable AV for a bit, then re-enable it and a new randomized selection of horses will be made.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/21377/?

It's one of my favorite mods, so many pretty horses and different colours of goat and blah blah too.

There is also white Frost mods. I use Slof's which is not on the Nexus, but easy enough to find, or there are other ones. this is my game using both Automatic Variants for the chocolate palomino, and white Frost.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=425188854

Edited by Raye